Selection Committee to place greater emphasis on road wins | Syracusefan.com

Selection Committee to place greater emphasis on road wins

The NCAA sure knows how to destroy a good thing. All tourney games are neutral sites. Teams that travel in the dead of winter are gonna encounter problems esp where we are

Glad they announced ahead of time instead of coaches/fans wondering ahead of time. We need to win some road games this year.

Like the chnage as well. it's about time they recognize a road win against #25 isn't the same as a home win against #25, or whatever.

I don't get the "tourney games are played at neutal sites" argument. They're not played at home either, but between home and away games one definitely tells you more about who a tourney team is.

I am taking the Jay Bilas route on that one, no one has an advantage, maybe the team in the better hotel. These guys just really seem to overthink the best 64 / 68 in March

The committee should emphasize getting the best remaining 36 teams as at large bids first and foremost. Then they can do a better job of seeding.

I am taking the Jay Bilas route on that one, no one has an advantage, maybe the team in the better hotel. These guys just really seem to overthink the best 64 / 68 in March

I t hink the idea is what I said before; people in general don't realize the huge impact home court has. You can't say a team that has a home win against #25 is as impressive as a neutral or road win against #25. It's not.

This is just trying to adjust for that

I t hink the idea is what I said before; people in general don't realize the huge impact home court has. You can't say a team that has a home win against #25 is as impressive as a neutral or road win against #25. It's not.

This is just trying to adjust for that

I'd buy into that more if it was the good old days of a round robin conference schedule. Also some schools don't have a great home court and play schools with easy travel. Others are the opposite. Just seems overthought not letting the committee trust their eyes

I'd buy into that more if it was the good old days of a round robin conference schedule. Also some schools don't have a great home court and play schools with easy travel. Others are the opposite. Just seems overthought not letting the committee trust their eyes

I don't trust the committees eyes. They've proven they stink it that. Thank god this is the last year of the RPI as well.

Justifying their existence

The inverse must also hold as much weight as well then. A road loss hurts less than a home loss. No matter who the opponent.
Yeah, you'd think so, but I don't think perception is that it cuts that way.

The NCAA sure knows how to destroy a good thing. All tourney games are neutral sites. Teams that travel in the dead of winter are gonna encounter problems esp where we are

huh?

I think the "trust their eyes" thing is a mistake. The Committee has to consider roughly 80 teams in putting together the bracket. (The 68 that are in and the dozen or so bubble teams.) There is zero chance that anyone on the committee has watched more than 10-12 of those teams play more than one or two complete games. Even assuming you always watched games involving two tournament teams (that is, you never watched a game not involving a team outside the top 80), just to watch 5 games of each tournament team, you would need to watch 200 games. That's at least 400 hours of watching basketball - ten full work weeks over a roughly 15-week regular season. Even then you are getting a very small sample of each team's games that could be wildly misleading.

In reality, no one on the committee is doing this. If they're not using stats, however imperfect, they're relying on gut feelings, what they happen to have watched, and the feedback effect from the press.

Trying to type on a phone on a plane, rough way of saying no two road games are the same

yes, but the committee wont figure that out for a few years, after teams have gamed the system.

I would be all for going back to the days of double round robin conference scheduling.

But I think this helps with that, one team might have a conf schedule loaded with tough road games.
Yeah, you'd think so, but I don't think perception is that it cuts that way.

Do you think so? I feel like the people who give extra credit or whatever for road wins absolutely agree that road losses are less damaging than home losses. Obviously only speaking for myself directly and what I read indirectly, but that's the feeling I get.

I would be all for going back to the days of double round robin conference scheduling.

But I think this helps with that, one team might have a conf schedule loaded with tough road games.

Do you think so? I feel like the people who give extra credit or whatever for road wins absolutely agree that road losses are less damaging than home losses. Obviously only speaking for myself directly and what I read indirectly, but that's the feeling I get.
I don't.

No way this changes our early season OOC scheduling. We make more $$$ having the games in the Dome than the schools could give us to travel. We just need to win the away games we have. We used to play well on the road. I don't know what changed last year (too much playstation?), but we flat out stunk on the road.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom