Selection Sunday Show Discussion (Gripes, Rage, Biases, Happiness, whatever welcome) | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Selection Sunday Show Discussion (Gripes, Rage, Biases, Happiness, whatever welcome)

Uconn's path is hard this year, but last year was easy and they won a championship. Despite being the overall #1 seed maybe the committee didn't want them to cake walk into back to back championships.
They beat a solid Iona team and all single digit seeds all while being a 10 seed. Come on…….

UConn gets 4 home games. It’s supposed to be all good teams once you reach the last 16.

They beat a solid Iona team and all single digit seeds all while being a 10 seed. Come on…….
10 seed? As a 4 seed last year they beat 13 Iona; 5 Saint Mary's; 8 Arkansas; 3 Gonzaga; 5 overrated Miami; and 5 San Diego State for the championship. To be fair, they crushed each team, but IDK, I feel like every time we have a championship caliber team we run into a buzz saw blueblood.

10 seed? As a 4 seed last year they beat 13 Iona; 5 Saint Mary's; 8 Arkansas; 3 Gonzaga; 5 overrated Miami; and 5 San Diego State for the championship. To be fair, they crushed each team, but IDK, I feel like every time we have a championship caliber team we run into a buzz saw blueblood.
you do realize those other teams had to beat people to make it to the later rounds, right? SDSU didnt just start at the championship game... This is some real sour grapes.

My bad they were ranked 10th.

you do realize those other teams had to beat people to make it to the later rounds, right? SDSU didnt just start at the championship game... This is some real sour grapes.
There's a reason you root for the underdogs in your bracket to upset the better teams, and that's because they're easier to beat.

There's a reason you root for the underdogs in your bracket to upset the better teams, and that's because they're easier to beat.
If you make it through and score 4 upsets, are you really easier to beat, or are you just better? Ill give a 7/15 matchup, sure but once you make it the sweet sixteen or elite eight, the whole "well you just got lucky" idea goes out the window. They won because they were by far the best team in the tournament, simple as that.

Illinois is my dark horse with Terrance Shannon temporarily reinstated

They are a different team with him

It is a shame that TCU made it. They went 10-10 against B12 teams. Worst RPI of any at large. They played no one OOC. Going 0-2 against NCAAT teams and 0-0 against NIT worthy teams (including teams turning it down). Against the B12 they were 3-8 against NCAAT teams and 3-1 against NIT worthy teams. They also lost one game to a non NCAAT/NIT worthy team. I get that they had big Ws but that resume should at best be a play in game.

Setting aside whether one hates UConn or not - a potential Sweet 16 matchup between UConn and Auburn is lunacy. So UConn is the #1 overall seed playing what is supposed to be the last 4 seed. lol Auburn won 27 games with 26 coming by double digits. They're top six or better in NET and Kenpom. A casual viewing of any of their games would show they are a legit top ten team, also the deepest squad in the country. Both teams are getting royally screwed here.
Perhaps some higher ups are sick of Hurley's act.

This used to be my favorite hour of TV.
This year irrelevant.
Sad.

But I do hope Greg Gumbel's family is ok.
Not only did he miss the selection show but he won't be doing the tournament either.

It is a shame that TCU made it. They went 10-10 against B12 teams. Worst RPI of any at large. They played no one OOC. Going 0-2 against NCAAT teams and 0-0 against NIT worthy teams (including teams turning it down). Against the B12 they were 3-8 against NCAAT teams and 3-1 against NIT worthy teams. They also lost one game to a non NCAAT/NIT worthy team. I get that they had big Ws but that resume should at best be a play in game.

I think the gift bids to the Big Ten, SEC, and Big 12 were intentionally left out of the playin. Each league got one MSU, MSU, and TCU.

They got the playin right last P12 and ACC team vs the last 2 Mountain Wests because the latter conference probably won't play up to 6 seeds.

Michigan St and Mississippi state forced to go head to head bc both were weak bids.

ACC is way behind the Big 12 and isn't going to get the benefit of no play in.

8-9 seed is a tougher spot than the play in game as well and probably where these last teams with weak resumes belong. The committee thinks they can keep it close vs a 1 seed so they get in.

But we wouldn’t get to see Jamie Dixon lose in the first game if they weren’t in the tournament

FAU wants to get a piece of UConn after they got shafted by the refs in the semi's last year.

TCU got VERY lucky against Gtown. Guy was clearly OOB on the game-winner, but that is, remarkably, non-reviewable in an era where the last 2 minutes of every game take half an hour.
That would have been hard to overcome.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom