Selection Sunday Thread... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Selection Sunday Thread...

Lets roll kids. I think Loyola is a good match up for us. I like it. Win that then keep the State Pen streak of no wins alive. We can do this.
If we face Penn St, they will have won one game (winner of UMBC/Marist).

Just sayin'... :)

If SU gets past Loyola and Penn St with Mellen holding both Spencer and Ament to like one or two points each, does he end up the winner of the Tewaaraton?

I think both Quint and Carc got it right on the broadcast, an interesting game with both offenses holding advantages over the defenses. Which offense is going to get the ball more?

One problem with the bracket--the slotting of Yale and Penn. They're set to play in the quarterfinals, which would be their 3rd meeting of the season, and second in two weeks. One of them should have been moved to the other side.

putting penn or yale or both of them ahead of duke would have solved that problem.

Lets roll kids. I think Loyola is a good match up for us. I like it. Win that then keep the State Pen streak of no wins alive. We can do this.
I agree. Army has some good pieces but they don't have anything like the offensive firepower that Cuse does. Yet they controlled their last game with Loyola. Drake will have to play as well as Barreto (and he can). Mellen will have to play Spencer like Surdick did (he can). The rest of the D will have to shut down Lindley and Scanlon (I think they can).

Maryland is a bubble team. what about the 0-6?

I dont disagree but Hopkins has the name ala Duke in college bball. If it's close there always getting the benefit of the doubt. Maryland got in by the skin of their teeth but the Penn win and having 5 top 20 wins like us was enough

If SU gets past Loyola and Penn St with Mellen holding both Spencer and Ament to like one or two points each, does he end up the winner of the Tewaaraton?

I think both Quint and Carc got it right on the broadcast, an interesting game with both offenses holding advantages over the defenses. Which offense is going to get the ball more?

I think they announce the finalists before the playoffs start and I don't think Mellen would be considered in the top five as of now. I would think he'd definitely win the Schmeisser award (Defensive Player of The Year) if he were able to play well against both though.

I think they announce the finalists before the playoffs start and I don't think Mellen would be considered in the top five as of now. I would think he'd definitely win the Schmeisser award (Defensive Player of The Year) if he were able to play well against both though.

Correct. The five finalists for both men's and women's are to be announced this Thursday evening at The U Club in DC.

why bother to inteview the committee and then not have them explain the process they used so teams know better how to schedule.. did they reward maryland for top 20 wins and less top 10?

in theory a team that is say the 12th best and plays 7-8 top 10 teams may only win 1-2 and a team thats 13th best could play 7-8 games against the 15-20th best teams and win 5-6.. does that make them better?

Think SU got a pretty good draw, not entirely happy with the potential of a second round matchup with Penn State in the second round, but I don't think there is one team this year that is unbeatable. We shall worry about that after this weekend.

Initial thoughts on Loyloa are it could be a very good matchup for SU. The Spencer-Mellen matchup is obviously the main headline. Most teams haven't even bothered to go after Mellen but Spencer and Loyola won't be that way. Think Nick matches up better with attackmen like Teat, Amment and Sowers - the small shifty and quick guys and a little worried about how he might compete against Spencer. But I also think Mellen is one of the most competitive players in the country and he'll be ready. Loyola has other very good players but they are very top-heavy and I like how SU can lineup against the Greyhounds' "knowns".

My biggest concern right now is the goalie play of Stover, he can get really hot - its important for the Orange to work for good shots and be patient on offense.

Think SU got a pretty good draw, not entirely happy with the potential of a second round matchup with Penn State in the second round, but I don't think there is one team this year that is unbeatable. We shall worry about that after this weekend.

Initial thoughts on Loyloa are it could be a very good matchup for SU. The Spencer-Mellen matchup is obviously the main headline. Most teams haven't even bothered to go after Mellen but Spencer and Loyola won't be that way. Think Nick matches up better with attackmen like Teat, Amment and Sowers - the small shifty and quick guys and a little worried about how he might compete against Spencer. But I also think Mellen is one of the most competitive players in the country and he'll be ready. Loyola has other very good players but they are very top-heavy and I like how SU can lineup against the Greyhounds' "knowns".

My biggest concern right now is the goalie play of Stover, he can get really hot - its important for the Orange to work for good shots and be patient on offense.

Totally agree on Mellen ideally matching up against a smaller more shifty attack, but I think there have been some encouraging signs this year. He did a really good job on Sam Cleveland against Colgate after he beat Bomberry a few times in the first half. Cleveland was quite big and relied heavily on using his size and strength and Mellen was able to shove him off. Mellen also did a good job against Matt Moore who is also fairly big and likes to use his body. Mellen is also super jacked for his size. He is clearly a weight room animal and has never been laid out on a bull dodge or anything like that. A big part of Spencers game is his quickness and footwork, which mellen should have no problem with. He doesn't just play like Tehoka for 60 minutes.

My fear is that it goes the way Firman vs Ben Reeves went, where Reeves seemed tall enough to just act like Firman wasn't there and ripped corners right in his face. I'll have to see if there is any footage of spencer owning a smaller D-pole in that fashion.

Agree about Stover who is the best goalie around. The d in front of him... not so much. Lindsey is very good around the goal. I'd say game is a push. Spencer is ridiculous at home. He'll get his points no matter who plays him. He doesn't like aggressive covers who seem to turn him on. I think PSU, Penn, Yale and UVA are all 3 or 4 goals better than SU. But I'm still hopeful.

UMBC in the second round will be a tough game.
putting penn or yale or both of them ahead of duke would have solved that problem.

The Ivies have to be furious at this draw. Cornell is the first team out, and Yale and Penn will play in the quarterfinal. Whoever was making the case for the league on the selection committee really blew it. This shouldn't have happened.

Spencer is a wondrous player/athelete but he has taken fifteen shots in the last two games with only six on goal and has not scored in the last two games .He has plenty in his repertoire but he is fortunately not the most accurate . Duke played him straight up with Van Raphorst who shut him down without much help from slides . Mellen is just as s strong as CVP and has better feet though the height difference has been an issue with tall mobile athletes like Henningburg .

Spencer strength is his athleticism, great field vision and passing skills especially finding others with highlight passes after drawing slides . 54 assists , like Ament best to play him straight up and make him a shooter rather than a passer who breakdowns D for others. .
Attackman Lindley 57g is the main beneficiary so defenders cant ball watch as some have occasionally done nor should they slide much to Spencer. He moves to spots off Spencer probes and converts passes at a very high % but he will not beat anyone on his own. He should be handled well if we stick with him.

While Lindley is dependent on Spencer passing, 40 g mid Scanlan has a wide skillset and iwill take his defender , great feel for contact as he leans into defenders and will spin off either way and dive to crease, he will also dodge from gle and from up top and has a very accurate shot. .He has had several high scoring games so close attention must be paid to him. Secondary scorers are att Olmstead and mid Duffy who can shoot off dodge.

Stover is very good but we have faced several good goalies and have worn many out.

Should be a good competitive 50-50 game

The Ivies have to be furious at this draw. Cornell is the first team out, and Yale and Penn will play in the quarterfinal. Whoever was making the case for the league on the selection committee really blew it. This shouldn't have happened.
Well, the Chair of the selection committee was. Brown’s AD, but no home cooking for the Ivy League.

After watching some highlights, I was wrong on Lindley. More all around than I thought , he can dodge some and create his own besides feeds from Spencer. As lefty, dodges primarily right to left and quick 3/4 release.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom