Sell Out Saturday night | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Sell Out Saturday night

Lol there'll be 35k, can we just stop talking about attendance? It isnt going to turn around, there just isnt enough interest.

That being said, I'll be there and I hope there will be 49k of my friends there.
How can you say that when our average attendance is already up over 3,000 since last year despite national trends in the other direction?

39,500 for NC St
42,500 vs Lville if we beat ncsu and wake

At this point I would be happy with the 35k that show up actually stay until the end of the game. I really can't comprehend the people that come to the game, only to leave halfway through the 3rd quarter in a close game? Why even come at all?

I took my 2 and 4 year olds to the Florida State game. They had a great time in the Quad before the game, and were really into the game for about a half. Then between the length of the game and the heat, they started wearing out in the 3rd Qtr. I think we left with about 14 minutes left in the game and listened to the end on the drive home. Fighting with two increasingly grumpy toddlers to stay until closer to the end didn’t seem like a good call.

Pretty sure that was the second time ever I left a game early (other time was when Syracuse was down about 50 to WVU when I was in college) -based on that my new rule is I won’t criticize someone with young kids (or someone that is really old) if they leave the game early. If it’s a group of people between 15-55 years old and they leave early, that still baffles me.

At this point I would be happy with the 35k that show up actually stay until the end of the game. I really can't comprehend the people that come to the game, only to leave halfway through the 3rd quarter in a close game? Why even come at all?

I had to leave at halftime of the UNC game due to a wedding and I felt so disgusted with myself.

I would expect announced attendance to be about 40k for ncstate, 38k for lville.
You think fridays a disadvantage at all? Figured a lot of people will go after work just because its a place to be

Yup the last 6 minutes after Tommy went in were insane. The whole Dome was standing the rest of the game. I can't remember the last time that happened. There were probably only about 25k left, but those 25k were engaged and loud!! The Dome was electric. You just can't replicate that feeling at home.

Clemson game.

- SU 5-2 first time in long time
- NC State probably still top 25 but our comparative results say we have good chance.
- Family weekend
- 7 pm kickoff
- Tons of Intrigue Will ED start, will TD play ?
- Clinch Bowl berth at home
- 45 k minimum
As you note 45k is a reasonable number to shoot for.

However this will require a break in normal patterns. And this games import is off the charts not only because of the obvious 6 win bowl plateau but because of the Dino factor. This is the first time I'd imagine he's gonna be looking at support as a true bell weather as to what's possible here. First Saturday night game in almost 10 years I read.

We need to pull out all the stops at every level of interested parties for this one. Again break from the routine. For example In the attempt to avoid crying wolf I only engage and encourage the casuals in my sphere at times like this. Hectoring them with texts and emails. Buying 5 extras this week to give them away, if every regular can bring just one extra person we'd be there.

Similarly I'm wrapping up at our usual fine mess tailgate an hour early and will encourage all others to do the same, get in there early to start creating atmosphere and let Dino and the team for the FIRST TIME see the place packed and already rocking as they enter.

The university need do the same as they may already be with ticket deals/the quad experience, but also do more to think outside the box and do things like to create atmosphere and, for example, consider lower the lighting for the now televised walk out of the locker room to the field as they then run out onto the dome field, advertise this, and other, atmospheric enhancements, give away Otto bobble heads, etc.

The city too, what a perfect opportunity for the new mayor and new county legislator to make a mark and hype up this game/event with some PR and a couple of unique events city and county wide.

Whatever it takes man, pull out all the stops, speak in cliches, who cares, just do it, them and all of us. Game on, let's do it....

Last edited:
- SU 5-2 first time in long time
- NC State probably still top 25 but our comparative results say we have good chance.
- Family weekend
- 7 pm kickoff
- Tons of Intrigue Will ED start, will TD play ?
- Clinch Bowl berth at home
- 45 k minimum
Last time we had over 45k was Clemson in 2013.

On a positive note, parents weekend seems to be good news for attendance.

Clemson last year and LSU in 15 (no game in 16 - how did that happen?) probably skewed figures up because of top 10 opponents but NC State in 14 drew over 40 and Wake in 13 drew 38+.

I predict our largest crowd of the year at 43-44k.

Last edited:
I declined going to my 50th year HS class reunion just to attend the UNC game. So glad my decision paid off! Get off your butts and fill the Dome!

Disclaimer: I really didn’t want to go anyway. Like I told my wife “I can watch re-runs of The Walking Dead anytime I want.”

Last time we had over 45k was Clemson in 2013.

On a positive note, parents weekend seems to be good news for attendance.

Clemson last year and LSU in 15 (no game in 16 - how did that happen?) probably skewed figures up because of top 10 opponents but NC State in 14 drew over 40 and Wake in 13 drew 38+.

I predict our largest crowd of the year at 43-44k.
I believe there are a lot of people that pick one game each season. It may have been FSU .but FSU wasn't ranked and the game was so early in the season. I think this is the game.

However this will require a break in normal patterns. And this games import is off the charts not only because of the obvious 6 win bowl plateau but because of the Dino factor. This is the first time I'd imagine he's gonna be looking at support as a true bell weather as to what's possible here. First Saturday night game in almost 10 years I read.

We need to pull out all the stops at every level of interested parties for this one. Again break from the routine. For example In the attempt to avoid crying wolf I only engage and encourage the casuals in my sphere at times like this. Hectoring them with texts and emails. Buying 5 extras this week to give them away, if every regular can bring just one extra person we'd be there.

Similarly I'm wrapping up at our usual fine mess tailgate an hour early and will encourage all others to do the same, get in there early to start creating atmosphere and let Dino and the team for the FIRST TIME see the place packed and already rocking as they enter.

The university need do the same as they may already be with ticket deals/the quad experience, but also do more to think outside the box and do things like to create atmosphere and, for example, consider lower the lighting for the now televised walk out of the locker room to the field as they then run out onto the dome field, advertise this, and other, atmospheric enhancements, give away Otto bobble heads, etc.

The city too, what a perfect opportunity for the new mayor and new county legislator to make a mark and hype up this game/event with some PR and a couple of unique events city and county wide.

Whatever it takes man, pull out all the stops, speak in cliches, who cares, just do it, them and all of us. Game on, let's do it...

Thank you! We need 40,000 more like you.

I wonder if the night time start hurts the parents crowd? Taking the kid out to dinner, etc etc. I am hopeful but I think 40K will be the best we can do, but I don't worry about it. Those of us there will be loud and those of us who can't make it will be loud watching. I dont' judge fandom by who goes to the games or not.

I said before, parents weekend is busy so people book places to eat for dinner and now the game is that time. now they have to find a place to eat at 3 if they want to do both.. we may sell tickets but not have people in the seats.

Eight flipping years. The last time we had a Saturday night 7pm kick at home.

8 gd years.

H/T Dan Lyons.
I was wondering this because I couldn't remember the last time. Thanks

I have to admit that I'm a season ticket holder who left when UNC took the lead in the 4Q. Dungey wasn't doing anything and I didn't believe the HCDB would pull him. I couldn't stand to watch the beginning of yet another 4-8 season. I missed Tommy's spectacular comeback and I regret that. :bat:

Like you I left after the Fumble on the goal line, couldn't bear to watch us give another game away. Nearly turned back around but the wife was ready to go and was dealing with a medical issue so it actually worked out for the best. Still had the game on my phone and radio when I got back to the fine lot but sometimes your emotions just take over. Will definitely be there for the whole game against NC State.

I’ve already gotten 8 friends to take advantage of the $10 tickets. Hopefully can get 20 by weeks end.

But, here we are again, cheapest tickets in 319 where i am >$50.

Keep shooting ourselves in the foot

they walk the fine line of pissing off people who paid for tickets when demand is low and then give away tickets later at a low cost. they really should be reaching out to season ticket holders with deals to make it feel like we are getting a perk for committing to the team. do something like tie it into tickets for next yr. it would show they value the ones who put the money down early.

when demand is this low wht bother buying season tickets at all when you can get the tickets mid season for less and pretty much the same seat.

now if the took the people who pay the seat tax and gave them a deal on seats in those areas there would be some real value to that purchase.

Whatever it takes man, pull out all the stops, speak in cliches, who cares, just do it, them and all of us. Game on, let's do it...
I think the old me should make a return for this game. We May need a vote on this but "I'm thinking I'm back"

now if the took the people who pay the seat tax and gave them a deal on seats in those areas there would be some real value to that purchase.
THIS!
I would bring fairweather friends every game but when I mention prices they cringe or have to sit elsewhere. If I had the discount they would be more likely to come and be able to sit with us.

I’ve already gotten 8 friends to take advantage of the $10 tickets. Hopefully can get 20 by weeks end.

But, here we are again, cheapest tickets in 319 where i am >$50.

Keep shooting ourselves in the foot

Keep saying it but they’ve made the decision to not sell tickets in the donation required sections at tix price only. They pro rate the donation on a per game basis.

Keep saying it but they’ve made the decision to not sell tickets in the donation required sections at tix price only. They pro rate the donation on a per game basis.

Bees is right, for better or worse the days of discounted tickets for premium seats are gone. Wildhack made a tough call but its the right one.