Sell Out Saturday night | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Sell Out Saturday night

Your name doesn't happen to be Chip Douglas?
It's Ernie Douglas, but my friends call me Chip. ;-) While upperdeck is correct, that people are cutting costs, there is sometimes a misconception that streaming/OTA is a downgrade. Quite the opposite. I can literally watch almost every CFB in the country for next to nothing. 16% of people a year cut the cord for many reasons.

I'm thinking it could take another year, or 2 for a sellout. If the team manages 8+ wins until the new dome opens? Curiosity factor, and proof, could get us back to the 40k average mark. Not holding my breath on either of those, though. It may take 9-10 wins.

It's Ernie Douglas, but my friends call me Chip. ;-) While upperdeck is correct, that people are cutting costs, there is sometimes a misconception that streaming/OTA is a downgrade. Quite the opposite. I can literally watch almost every CFB in the country for next to nothing. 16% of people a year cut the cord for many reasons.

Interesting. Sadly, when I read how to do what you say all my brain says is to connect the doohicky to the whatnot. Could you kind of brake down the costs and how to do this?

This is a world view that I don't share or relate to, but I think a 7 pm game is yet another barrier because... I'm sure there is a material amount of people who won't go because they don't want to deal with leaving the Dome at 11 pm and then getting in a traffic jam on top of it.

They did it for #2 Clemson, but will they do it for #22 NC State?

We should all accept that it will be about 37k people, but that they will be very loud.

This is a world view that I don't share or relate to, but I think a 7 pm game is yet another barrier because... I'm sure there is a material amount of people who won't go because they don't want to deal with leaving the Dome at 11 pm and then getting in a traffic jam on top of it.

We should all accept that it will be about 37k people, but that they will be very loud.

Some of it is the natural progression of getting the casual fan back involved. Now that they have interest again it will go from checking it on their phone or casually following the game to being sure they are parked in front of the TV or at some bar to watch. If we continue to win the next step will be "maybe we should look for tickets for Lville" or "what do you think about season tickets next year". If we had been able to beat Clemson and or PItt that process would have jumped ahead of schedule but its going to take more then a 5-2 record to force those people up to the Dome. The groundwork has been laid though.

Interesting. Sadly, when I read how to do what you say all my brain says is to connect the doohicky to the whatnot. Could you kind of brake down the costs and how to do this?
My fiber connection is $50. Plug my Ethernet cable into the back of my TV(or Roku). Sign up for the service you want. I pay for Sling during football season. $30. $120 for football season. ACC network/sec network, stadium, espn1,2,3,u,news, etc. The name of my service has a button on the Roku remote. Push the button. Pick what you want to watch.

OTA is geographically dependent. I paid $90 for an antenna on my roof(soon to be 4k) and $40 for an amplifier. 60 miles from tower.

PM me so I don't derail the thread further. I will stalk you like Chip Douglas...;-).

With good options available, it's a massive upgrade (imo). Poor options? YMMV.

My first thought was that all of the kiddies are going to leave for whatever party, at about 9:00.

Although, I do think that we do just a touch better than FSU(37k) , just because of the bowl possibility.

Not attacking you, but I am attacking locals: “Oh my God! It was so hot I needed an IV!” “Oh my God! The traffic in Syracuse will be so bad it will take 17 minutes to get home!” Pathetic.

Tickets in 211 row k were 4 for 250 so I don’t think that’s bad. I’m in 212 and I love it
We sat in 212 last week, rows b and c. They were great seats. $35 per.

Last edited:
The obvious solution to attendance problems around the country is for the P5 conferences to adopt the NFL TV protocol.

If a game isn't within X percent of capacity within Y number of days, it is blacked out in the local area. In some areas, the local network station will ante up the revenue for the unsold seats to get the game on the air.

That's the way college games used to be and local attendance was better than today.

The obvious solution to attendance problems around the country is for the P5 conferences to adopt the NFL TV protocol.

If a game isn't within X percent of capacity within Y number of days, it is blacked out in the local area. In some areas, the local network station will ante up the revenue for the unsold seats to get the game on the air.

That's the way college games used to be and local attendance was better than today.

The NFL lifted the blackout rule several years ago. The model no longer made sense, since television revenue has outpaced box office/game day revenue. I don't foresee blackouts returning to sports any time soon, if ever again.

If every hotel room in the city wasn't spoken for I'd be up there this weekend. Hoping for a respectable crowd Saturday night. I don't think 40K is asking too much.

The NFL lifted the blackout rule several years ago. The model no longer made sense, since television revenue has outpaced box office/game day revenue. I don't foresee blackouts returning to sports any time soon, if ever again.
I agree and the ugly truth for the NFL was that a number of franchises were never selling out including playoff games. And if its a true sell out - how many have we had in the history of the Dome? Total sell outs? Not many.

Some of it is the natural progression of getting the casual fan back involved. Now that they have interest again it will go from checking it on their phone or casually following the game to being sure they are parked in front of the TV or at some bar to watch. If we continue to win the next step will be "maybe we should look for tickets for Lville" or "what do you think about season tickets next year". If we had been able to beat Clemson and or PItt that process would have jumped ahead of schedule but its going to take more then a 5-2 record to force those people up to the Dome. The groundwork has been laid though.

Don’t disagree, but part of my point is that they are 4 hour games now (at least), and I think that’s getting tougher for people to digest. Might impact a night game crowd.

Don’t disagree, but part of my point is that they are 4 hour games now (at least), and I think that’s getting tougher for people to digest. Might impact a night game crowd.

Oh no doubt. For a diehard like me who also tailgates its actually a plus because it because we usually get there right before kick or slightly after and we know we can relax and enjoy the game for 3+ hours after a hectic tailgate (also can sober up in the first half before making a halftime beer run). That being said if your someone with young kids or with elderly parents/relatives its hard to sit there for 3 1/2 - 4 hours especially when you add in the concourse nightmare at half.

the dome should just start alotting a section to this forum to sell out

If you live in Syracuse you understand why people dont show up to Football games anymore. 1) The football team has been really bad for a long time with a couple good seasons here and there and people lost interest. People just think Syracuse football is bad and it's going to take a while to change that mindset. 2) The Dome is not looked at as a nice place. Every new person I know that went there for the first time says its run down. Even people that go there like myself, make fun of it for all of its shortcomings. 3) Syracuse basketball rules in the 315. 4) Young people dont like football. People in their 20's and 30's dont care enough to show up. Watch how was quickly people start to fill up the dome though, once they put 120 mill into it. I know how Syracuse people are. They go to new shiny places. People make fun of the Mall and Amphitheatre but people go there all the time. The places are packed and cool places to go to and have memories. One mans opinion. Football's gotta win though. Give Dino a new deal!

At this point I would be happy with the 35k that show up actually stay until the end of the game. I really can't comprehend the people that come to the game, only to leave halfway through the 3rd quarter in a close game? Why even come at all?

The good news when they leave tho is you can stand up and scream when we're 3rd and goal and not be barked at to sit down...

If you live in Syracuse you understand why people dont show up to Football games anymore. 1) The football team has been really bad for a long time with a couple good seasons here and there and people lost interest. People just think Syracuse football is bad and it's going to take a while to change that mindset. 2) The Dome is not looked at as a nice place. Every new person I know that went there for the first time says its run down. Even people that go there like myself, make fun of it for all of its shortcomings. 3) Syracuse basketball rules in the 315. 4) Young people dont like football. People in their 20's and 30's dont care enough to show up. Watch how was quickly people start to fill up the dome though, once they put 120 mill into it. I know how Syracuse people are. They go to new shiny places. People make fun of the Mall and Amphitheatre but people go there all the time. The places are packed and cool places to go to and have memories. One mans opinion. Football's gotta win though. Give Dino a new deal!

Don't we still play football and basketball in the same building?

Don't even say that. I support the program as a STH, but we have enough problems getting SU broadcasts without this nonsense.

If every hotel room in the city wasn't spoken for I'd be up there this weekend. Hoping for a respectable crowd Saturday night. I don't think 40K is asking too much.
Did you look at Cortland and Tully?