Serious question: Is it a generational thing? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Serious question: Is it a generational thing?

All this Stephen A Smith talk and we haven't mentioned SL-AVA ME-DE-VE-DENKO!?!?!?!

It's boredom in combination with hypersensitivity.

It's May on a site for die-hard SU basketball fans. Nothing more.

So I can see how some get caught up in the "my version of reality is better than your version of reality." When that degenerates into insults, I give those posts a pass.

Lawyers say that if the facts are on your side, you go with the facts. if not, you go with the emotions. If I get into it with people, I try to stick with the facts. If that doesn't seem to be working, maybe I'm wrong and should back off. If the other person just refused to acknowledge the facts, I just satisfy myself that the rest of the board should be able to see that this guy is a fool, so I've won. On the rare occassions that I went against my better judgment and got "personal" with somebody, I've always regretted it. It's pointless.

Without question, the board was more fun back in the days of Raoul Duke, Viva Peru, WSO, Lil Joe and many other posters who seem to have disappeared. Heck, even Tristan's feigned elitism was more fun than a lot of what appears on the board now. I had not thought of the ESPN analogy, but I think it has some merit. For those of us who grew up prior to talk radio and 1000 television channels, the airwaves represented a kinder, more thoughtful, more intellectual world. Think Dick Schaap or Marty Glickman or Red Barber or Walter Cronkite. Today, it sometimes seems that the broadcast media are nothing but people yelling at each other and tossing out snarky comments. And sometimes, this board seems that way, too. It may well be generational... on the part of some who grew up with the loud, snarky, combative broadcast media.
That makes sense to me. We are all products of the environments we grew up in.

Maybe part of it is that the board is so much bigger now. Back 8 or 9 years ago, I felt I knew pretty much everyone on the board, even if I hadn't met them in person. But a lot of us had met, and I find that changes things a lot. People who are confrontational and bombastic on the board often tend to be laid back and easy going in real life. Once you met someone in person, I find that both people tend to be more understanding and more tolerant of each other.

If I had one wish for this site, it would be for people to be more tolerant of the viewpoints of other people on the board. If you think the rotation for next year is going to be X, and I think it is going to be Y, that shouldn't drive us to insult each other and call each other names.

We all love SU hoops (and football and lacrosse, etc., etc.). That should be enough to allow us to get along and see past our differences amicably.

War Damn Otto and yes, Georgetown...still sucks.

I would add that the generational divide also includes reality TV shows. Their appeal totally escapes me (52 y.0. male), and I think that generally speaking, they have introduced all new levels of coarseness, vulgarity and rudeness to others as something not only acceptable, but to be celebrated. I would also add in how the Sunday morning "news" shows have similarly turned into shout-a-thons, where lying is acceptable for the course. The only repercussions for lying as a policy maker these days are getting caught, and then you aren't branded a liar and discredited, it's simply "partisan" politics.

Reality shows are popular with the networks because they don't have to pay the participants what they would pay an actor. Also, the production values are minimal compared to a dramatic series.

Regarding the panel shows, there are some that don't involve competion vs. the panelists. "Washington Week" on PBS is better than, say, "The McLaughlin Group". In sports, I always loved "The Sportwriters on TV" from Chicago back in the 80's and 90's, with Ben Bentley, Bill Jauss, Bill Gleason and Rick Telander. Those guys were friends, not competitors. They could get excited sometimes, (especially Jauss), but their shows were like a friendly bar consersation on sports. They even did shows while on a fishing trip together. That show was on from 1985-2000. That inspired ESPN to create The Sports Reporters, which led to all their other talk shows, like Around the Horn and Pardon the Interruption. But there were two significant differences between The Sportswriters on TV and The Sports Reporters. The Sports Reporters were from different cities and there was an air of competition between them. There were rivals, not buddies. Also, The Sportswriters on TV had a set where they were just sitting around what might have been a poker table and the format was just a free-wheeling discussion, a sort of libertarian debate where the only rule was to respect eachother, which they did. The Sports Reporters is set up like a poltiical debate, with each person in their own chair or stool and each given their own chance at a sound-bite.

I've suggested to Brent Axe that a Syracuse version of The Sportswriters on TV would be interesting. They could have Brent and Bud, as they ahve on Syracuse.com, (The Bud and Brent Show), with maybe Bob Snyder and a rotating fourth panelsit that could be another journalist or a coach or a former player or someone else invovled with sports in this area.

That makes sense to me. We are all products of the environments we grew up in.

Maybe part of it is that the board is so much bigger now. Back 8 or 9 years ago, I felt I knew pretty much everyone on the board, even if I hadn't met them in person. But a lot of us had met, and I find that changes things a lot. People who are confrontational and bombastic on the board often tend to be laid back and easy going in real life. Once you met someone in person, I find that both people tend to be more understanding and more tolerant of each other.

If I had one wish for this site, it would be for people to be more tolerant of the viewpoints of other people on the board. If you think the rotation for next year is going to be X, and I think it is going to be Y, that shouldn't drive us to insult each other and call each other names.

We all love SU hoops (and football and lacrosse, etc., etc.). That should be enough to allow us to get along and see past our differences amicably.

War Damn Otto and yes, Georgetown...still sucks.
Thats funny you say that about people on the board and in real life , cause in real life im the most laid back, calm , easy going person you will meet. I respect everyone and how they treat me after that is how i respond.

I think if the board needs anything its more negativity and criticism not towards posters but towards opinions of what happens on the court and players strength.
People who sound not just confident but almost sure of their posts.

I Get tired of hearing so your giving up on the third year jr who has ton of experience(paul harris for example) are you nuts? People were saying Melo probably won't make the NBA after his freshmen campaign. The guy was 2 and done.

I thing we should Brag and boast more about players strengths. Sometimes we get alittle to team orientated I think. I love for example Albany touting Waiters all year and I was on the bus for him preseason some didn't even want him on the team. I loved how everyone is excited for Fab melo after he tears it up against pope. I love when Moqui was pushing southerlands stock the last few years.

I am saying now that MCW will be one of our best three passers ever at syracuse. AND not just possibly but as a confidence builder he has a good shot to be our best passer ever. And I am not talking about numbers or assists im talking about passing right to a direct spot and ball movement iq.

I think what people have to realize this is college ball. Its different then the pros you get combo players who really aren't a one or a two. Who really aren't a 2 or a three who really arent a 3 or a 4 ect.

College ball you get alot more weaknesses and that is going to translate to more criticism. Heck even NBA players get criticized rediculously. Thets take AO, Flynn, Wes, Rautins,Greene, Hak, Rick Jackson, Nichols and Carmelo and put them up against this years past team and see what happens. It would be total annilation by the pros by like 25 plus points in 40 minutes. But, none of those guys outside MELO are scoing much in the NBA.

And for the record I HATE espn. I think its pathetic the way they handled the davis case. It gave us a awful name on live tv and they stuck their nose in against our program on sports medias biggest stage.

Im all for negativity it shows surety. would you prefer hearing its duke they are going to the final four this year after their epic first round choke? Now Kentukcy as much as I hate them there was a team to be pretty sure about.

hmmm I'm surprised I wasn't involved in this for once

I love this board for all it offers. I live out of town so it helps me keep up with Syracuse sports and most of the posters are great. I don't post often 1. because I'm not the fastest typer 2. I usually keep my post to my opinion. I am grateful for those that post with useful info as well as those that post with opinion and are open to debate. It is funny to see some of the ages in connection to handles. A few I would guessed younger than stated. I agree as far as some national sports media people being over the top but I guess I just realize which of them don't work for me. PTI I think is great but I never noticed how much they yell between each other until my wife mentioned it, I guess I always accepted their loud nature but the substance of the show is one I prefer. I actually really like Scott Van Pelt radio show. I like they way they debate and I think they way SVP and Ryen interact is intelligent and well rounded. I still watch ESPN but not as much as I used to. I guess for me I like to see various opinions but I don't care to get them shoved down my throat but the person of who's opinion it is. Thanks to all that post here and those that keep it running. Big time SU fan and this board makes it easy to keep up with it living in ACC country.

By the way I'm glad we didn't get lost in the shuffle with conference shifting but Big East basketball up to this point has been tops in my book. I watch ACC games a lot and I would rather watch Seaton Hall vs Nova over GTech vs Wake any day

DoctorBombay, you raise a lot of interesting questions in your OP.

As someone who generally sees things in shades of gray, I'd say there are multiple factors at play here but I'd like to give all of this more thought.

And FWIW, I'm from the same demographic as you.
yo, hey, LOVE your new avatar. OTB is one of the great and overlooked albums of the '70s. Not quite as good as Tonight's The Night, but still great.

To the point about esp(i)n I think it's them trying to make the news instead of just reporting it. I just can't handle listening to them, CBS and the like anymore, I guess the snark and agenda spewed experts just annoy the hell out of me.

The truth of the matter is that the snarky sarcastic manner of dialoge has become pervasive across all of American culture. It permeates not only sports but politics and media as a whole. The undertone of sarcasm seems to demonstrate un underlying general sentiment of distain toward the sense of powerlessness most people feel in their lives on an everyday basis. I, for one, as much as I like all the modern day convienences such as the iphone, the internet and cable tv, long for the days of old when things just seemed to be so much simpler and in the end there was more time to savor and enjoy the things in life that really bring happiness.

I've gotten back into reading books and spending less time on the internet and it has improved the quality of my life by quite a bit. Of course I can only speak for myself... but go ahead and take away all but one of the ESPN channels and give me back the original configuration of the Big East and I'd be one happy camper.

yo, hey, LOVE your new avatar. OTB is one of the great and overlooked albums of the '70s. Not quite as good as Tonight's The Night, but still great.
Good call, Pearl. Can't go wrong with either album. Love the darker Neil stuff.

But what a catalog! Personally, I'm partial to OTB, Zuma, EKTIN and Ragged Glory. And the aging, sappy me likes Harvest Moon and Prairie Wind more each year. :)

it's not a generational thing, it's a mediocrity thing. Talent is positively skewed, regardless of age
posskew.jpg

and what is so wrong with a little bit of snark, anyway?

it's not a generational thing, it's a mediocrity thing. Talent is positively skewed, regardless of age
posskew.jpg

and what is so wrong with a little bit of snark, anyway?
If you really want to make this fun, identify some of the data points other than yourself.

Part of the problem on msg boards, is anonymity. I took care of people's problems on the phone at UPS for 28 years. For 6 yrs sold power tools at Sears. There is a great difference between what people say,and how they treat you on the phone or in person. Thats why whenI post something, and someone happens to dislike it, I try to just leave it alone. This msg board generally is the most civil I have ever seen.

What baggerbob said has a lot of merit. One of the biggest problems with msg boards or the written word in general, is trying to understand how emotionally involved the writer was when they put the words down. It's too often difficult to understand if someone is being sarcastic or serious--funny or dumb---etc. You can't see facial expressions or hear tone of voice.

For those old enough to remember, Steve Allen used to take letters to the editor and read them the way he thought the writer meant to come across to the reader. Too funny!

Take care with wording. Don't be afraid to use an emoticon to clarify your feelings. Most importantly, take a deep breath after reading a loaded reply before you duke it out with words you might like to take back.

This is a great message board. Let's work hard to keep it that way.

For years I disliked Bud Poliquin. His columns seemed negative and arrogant, (sometimes they still do). But listening to him on his show, he seemed like a nice guy. I still don't agree with everything he says but listening to him say it helped.

JB, that young whippersnapper, can out snark most people half his age. And he's been known to use a little sarcasm now and then.

Generational?

Part of the problem on msg boards, is anonymity. I took care of people's problems on the phone at UPS for 28 years. For 6 yrs sold power tools at Sears. There is a great difference between what people say,and how they treat you on the phone or in person. Thats why whenI post something, and someone happens to dislike it, I try to just leave it alone. This msg board generally is the most civil I have ever seen.

I agree with this. I post on a few different message boards and comparatively I think this one is the most civil as well. Scoop's Junior year was probably the most odd in the sense that people seemed to collectively lose their minds, but other than that, it's usually been pretty good.

So says every generation about every generation younger than them since the dawn of mankind. ;)
Haha very true, but I'm only 20 and realize that the kids in my age group are messed.