Serious question: Is it a generational thing? | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Serious question: Is it a generational thing?

Agreed. Let's go back to the days of special schools, bathrooms, and drinking fountains for the coloreds. BEST OF TIMES!!!!!

Nice job of cherrypicking a piece of what realorange said. The 1950s and 60s were actually when people from across all racial, social and economic backgrounds came together to end the practices you cited.

Nice job of cherrypicking a piece of what realorange said. The 1950s and 60s were actually when people from across all racial, social and economic backgrounds came together to end the practices you cited.

You're right. We came together around a big campfire and held hands. And all those problems just went away. Fire hoses were used to fight fires. Dogs were small and cuddly. Politicians weren't getting their heads blown off once a week. When I think about the bad words I have to read at the end of a Syracuse.com article, it really makes me long for the BEST OF TIMES.

Exactly! I went to a segregated school as did everyone else in my state. But, after school and on the weekends, those of us who were into sports, went "across the tracks" to play ball with our black friends. It was the generations ahead of us that fought integration far more than we did.
For Doc to pick out that one example is an illustration of it being a generational thing and not really understanding the total environment that existed before their time.

Yeah, it's totally not an example of old people idealizing the time they grew up in. THAT'S NEVER HAPPENED BEFORE IN HISTORY.

You're right. We came together around a big campfire and held hands. And all those problems just went away. Fire hoses were used to fight fires. Dogs were small and cuddly. Politicians weren't getting their heads blown off once a week. When I think about the bad words I have to read at the end of a Syracuse.com article, it really makes me long for the BEST OF TIMES.

Thanks for putting words in my mouth. Good and bad occurs in every generation. When people choose to make blanket indictments and rely on broad generalizations, they lose me.

Calling the 50's and 60's the Best of times is an awful broad generalization no?

That's OK, but I'm pretty sure your elders had the same feelings about the 50's and 60's as you do about now. Everyone's youth is better than everyone else's.

Calling the 50's and 60's the Best of times is an awful broad generalization no?

That's OK, but I'm pretty sure your elders had the same feelings about the 50's and 60's as you do about now. Everyone's youth is better than everyone else's.

That's a broad generalization, too.

One of my most vivid and earliest memories as a child was JFK's assassination. I remember my parents being visibly upset, but was unable to understand the magnitude of the event at the time. I have much clearer memories of the turbulent and historic events that took place in the years that followed. Were aspects of the times I grew up in great? Absolutely. But looking back now, in no way would I characterize my youth (the 60s and 70s) as the "best of times" or somehow "better than everyone else's." So there goes your tidy little theory.

That's a broad generalization, too.

One of my most vivid and earliest memories as a child was JFK's assassination. I remember my parents being visibly upset, but was unable to understand the magnitude of the event at the time. I have much clearer memories of the turbulent and historic events that took place in the years that followed. Were aspects of the times I grew up in great? Absolutely. But looking back now, in no way would I characterize my youth (the 60s and 70s) as the "best of times" or somehow "better than everyone else's." So there goes your tidy little theory.

realorange said:
So we are advancing society by allowing all manner of disrespect for one another? Technological advances are the prime measure of advancement of society? And what cultures are helping to make those advancements when our educational system is going in the hopper compared to other advanced countries in the world? We should just ignore "terrible things" and go on our way?​
All I can say is Wow!​
Admittedly, I'm one of the old folks on the board and I have to agree with a friend of mine who said, regarding growing up in the 50s and 60s, "We lived in the best of times."​

Yeah, where would I conjure up such a silly idea.

This msg board generally is the most civil I have ever seen.

How many times over the years have we seen posters from other boards remark about how civil and intelligent this board is, with the exception of game day posts.

How many times over the years have we seen posters from other boards remark about how civil and intelligent this board is, with the exception of game day posts.

That's the thing, this board is probably one of the more civil on the internets.

Yeah, it's totally not an example of old people idealizing the time they grew up in. THAT'S NEVER HAPPENED BEFORE IN HISTORY.
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, because that is the way it was.

I ran a private school/daycare facility for 5 years.

Everything I do for the rest of my days will be far more civil than what I saw day to day there. There is absolutely nothing like a mother who feels her child has been wronged by another kid or teacher. Makes the Maryland message board look civil. People will say some crazy in person or over the phone. I think we are just losing our understanding and humility as a whole more and more each year.. as we are in that instant gratification era.

So we are advancing society by allowing all manner of disrespect for one another? Technological advances are the prime measure of advancement of society? And what cultures are helping to make those advancements when our educational system is going in the hopper compared to other advanced countries in the world? We should just ignore "terrible things" and go on our way?
All I can say is Wow!
Admittedly, I'm one of the old folks on the board and I have to agree with a friend of mine who said, regarding growing up in the 50s and 60s, "We lived in the best of times."

I think I agree with most of what docsu has said regarding this, but I'll take the bait anyway. We are not advancing society by disrespecting each other but we are advancing nonetheless and their will be unfortunate instances along the way. That's just a fact of life, whether it's 1969 or 2012.

And despite what you may hear, the education system is not going "in the hopper". Unfortunately, the impoverished areas of the united states are struggling, but if you looked at the top half, we would blow every other country away. We need to work on creating a greater balance amongst demographics.

To think that you lived in the "best of times" is a little nuts. It's far too subjective. Even I don't believe that about my own era. Hopefully neither of us ever live to see the real "best of times".

I think I agree with most of what docsu has said regarding this, but I'll take the bait anyway. We are not advancing society by disrespecting each other but we are advancing nonetheless and their will be unfortunate instances along the way. That's just a fact of life, whether it's 1969 or 2012.

And despite what you may hear, the education system is not going "in the hopper". Unfortunately, the impoverished areas of the united states are struggling, but if you looked at the top half, we would blow every other country away. We need to work on creating a greater balance amongst demographics.

To think that you lived in the "best of times" is a little nuts. It's far too subjective. Even I don't believe that about my own era. Hopefully neither of us ever live to see the real "best of times".
If you want to look at the statistics as to how the USA compares to other countries in Math, Science, etc. you will see that we rank well down the list and have been trending that way for several years. I don't believe that a top half is blowing away the rest of the world.
As for living in the best of times, yes it's subjective, but easily compared for those of us who have lived enough years.

i find it shocking that people think when they grew up was the best time to grow up ever.

I read a quote about baseball; it applies here. Everyone thinks the golden age of baseball happened when they were 12 years old

If you want to look at the statistics as to how the USA compares to other countries in Math, Science, etc. you will see that we rank well down the list and have been trending that way for several years. I don't believe that a top half is blowing away the rest of the world.
As for living in the best of times, yes it's subjective, but easily compared for those of us who have lived enough years.

Oh, come on. You don't think the fact that you grew up in the 60's biases you JUST a little? You think someone your current age living in the 50/60's thinks of that time just as fondly?

I just think it's awful had to bemoan 21st century society and then call that time the best ever.

i find it shocking that people think when they grew up was the best time to grow up ever.

I read a quote about baseball; it applies here. Everyone thinks the golden age of baseball happened when they were 12 years old

FWIW, I would disagree with the "golden age" of baseball quote. Also, at least talking to some older folks at work that have kids it seems kids get trophies for just about anything now. Any era where EVERY kid gets a trophy for doing anything sucks.

Therefore, any era before this current one is better. Although it does seem like your odds of dating your hot high-school teacher (while you're still in HS) are way higher now than in the past - that's a positive development. :)

Right...but those 12 year olds think the golden age is NOW...that's the point.

FWIW, I would disagree with the "golden age" of baseball quote. Also, at least talking to some older folks at work that have kids it seems kids get trophies for just about anything now. Any era where EVERY kid gets a trophy for doing anything sucks.

As Doc says, that is what the parents say. I'm talking about the kids.

And I wasn't talking little league or anything, I meant major leagues. (And I'm sure the quote isn't literal; not every kid thinks the golden age was when they were 12, but we to tend to romanticize that part of our life) But even talking about little league, I was guilty of this myself. I played in the 11-12 year old league, and then I remember watching my brother play liek 2 years later in the same league, and I was thinking how much better the players were when I played a few years prior. That of course was ridiculous.

Well, one thing I am certain about.

The music that originated in the 70s, 80s, and 90s blows away the stuff that passes for entertainment at the moment.

When was the last big group? i.e. global stadium acts like GnR, U2, Metallica, Pearl Jam, Nirvana? (You can also go further back into the 60s if you want)

Today's stars? Kelly Clarksons, Biebers, Underwoods, Maroon 5, and a bunch of rappers and country acts.

Bring back grunge!

The music that originated in the 70s, 80s, and 90s blows away the stuff that passes for entertainment at the moment.

When was the last big group? i.e. global stadium acts like GnR, U2, Metallica, Pearl Jam, Nirvana? (You can also go further back into the 60s if you want)

Today's stars? Kelly Clarksons, Biebers, Underwoods, Maroon 5, and a bunch of rappers and country acts.

Bring back grunge!

But your father was saying the same thing about Nirvana and Pearl Jam. Now you are going to besmirch the music of today. And then your kids will hate the music of tomorrow. Round and round we go.

Who's to say what's best? If a kid is getting enjoyment out of listening to Maroon 5, god bless em. I'll be over here like a crotchety old man with my Tom Petty LP's.

But your father was saying the same thing about Nirvana and Pearl Jam. Now you are going to besmirch the music of today. And then your kids will hate the music of tomorrow. Round and round we go.

Who's to say what's best? If a kid is getting enjoyment out of listening to Maroon 5, god bless em. I'll be over here like a crotchety old man with my Tom Petty LP's.

Music peaked with "Call Me Maybe." FACT.

Bring back grunge!
this post screams, Bring back the mullet!