Serious recruiting question | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Serious recruiting question

That's right.

You blame GMac.

Even for the kids GMac has nothing to do with.
Please read my post. I actually just posted how well gmac did in landing G3.

We were just voted the number 4 job in the conference by the coaches. We may be on the middle of the conference now, but if you think we are a mid tier ACC job you have zero clue what you’re talking about.

JB successfully outrecruited every school in the country for him.

It wasn't JB's fault that Baze took a bag of money from an agent to turn pro. Why should it count against him?

Do you count Winfred Walton then?

Do you count Winfred Walton then?

Did he commit here?

Then you have to count him.

Suppose Baze enrolled at SU and tore his ACL on the 1st day or practice. Can you call that a recruiting failure?

We did have a nice run of pretty big recruits though.

Harris, Flynn, Greene, Fab Melo, Christmas, Coleman, McCullough, and I guess Malachi and Battle would qualify. Devendorf on the front end could count too.

But we’re certainly not getting the Harris/Greene/Melo/Coleman level guys anymore.

Things have changed. As I posted in another thread a few months back, there were years in the 00’s and early 10’s where we had better classes than Duke and Kentucky. Not often but maybe like 25% of the time if I recall.

Picture that happening now.

If Washington and Memphis can reel in top classes, I’d like to think we could get back to that.
Don’t forget MCW, Waiters and Devo! All three were top 25 recruits.

Don’t forget MCW, Waiters and Devo! All three were top 25 recruits.

No idea how I forgot Waiters.

MCW was a guy we got on early and his rankings rose a lot later on, right?

Did he commit here?

Then you have to count him.

Suppose Baze enrolled at SU and tore his ACL on the 1st day or practice. Can you call that a recruiting failure?

He never played in a game, enrolled in class or practiced. Crazy the accounting principles here. But it is what it is.

Bottom line is we need to recruit better players that play in actual games to win in the ACC, or need to develop those we have better.

He never played in a game, enrolled in class or practiced. Crazy the accounting principles here. But it is what it is.

Bottom line is we need to recruit better players that play in actual games to win in the ACC, or need to develop those we have better.

We recruited him so you have to count him. But to your point, his impact was 0. So that's a 10 for recruiting and 0 for impact - which averages to a 5 which has to be better to get the program back where we all want it.

We recruited him so you have to count him. But to your point, his impact was 0. So that's a 10 for recruiting and 0 for impact - which averages to a 5 which has to be better to get the program back where we all want it.

That’s a fair accounting principle... far too many 5’s, 6’s and 7’s for my liking when you break it down.

Look at NBA draft picks as well... If I were a recruit I'm not going to Syracuse simply off the draft ... sure it's great to play in front of a huge crowd but that huge crowd isn't an NBA front office... Coach Cal has had 26 first round picks since 2010 at Kentucky with two of them being number 1 picks...Simply can't overlook that in the recruiting process and the pitch ... Love SU but coming here doesn't equate to a guaranteed first round contract or lottery contract which is big money
What I disagree on completely is if we had that many five star kids wouldn’t we have that many first round picks. Cmon u can’t say k or cal is better coach than Jim. More personable and nicer but not better. Half the tactics k uses he got from Jim. Think about Davis. U don’t think we coulda made him a number one pick. Cmon I’m no basketball coach but most of the five stars need discipline and some structure and they will be high level first rounders. It’s not rocket science.

But most of those top 25 recruits that go to Kentucky and Duke would be first round picks regardless of where they went to college. K and Cal aren’t “developing” anyone in 1 year. These kids are NBA prospects in high school.
Bingo

I agree with most everything stated here as issues with recruiting in recent years.....the transition from Coach Hop to GMac, Autry and Griff has been huge (IMO). But I also just want to throw out this thought on recruiting...YES SU is a top 5 winning program all-time and playing at the DOME and in the ACC is huge but I still feel as though we are more of a systematic bball program. We do take 'flyers' on 5 star recruits and land one from time to time but we have far more success with the 'under the radar' recruits that are in the system for more than a year or two. The first year playing the zone is a steep learning curve for most players, especially at center.

Some of my favorite players were 4 year players: Hakim, Etan, CJ, Gmac just to name a few. Thoughts?

That’s a fair accounting principle... far too many 5’s, 6’s and 7’s for my liking when you break it down.

I think that's a fair assessment and can't say I disagree.

idk; maybe the inclusion of the word "slime" in your name was a wee bit of a tell . . .
Not defending the dude but the word slime is commonly used as slang for family now.

I think it's safe to say the staff is trying to right the ship, but the ship has taken a beating over the past several years. Until JB retires we're going to be treading water as a mid-pack ACC team. I just hope that the program doesn't fall into complete disarray and JB ends his career with back-to-back losing seasons. For Syracuse basketball to be officially "back", we'll need to make the right hire and hopefully JB won't obfuscate the transition this time. If Hop isn't planning to come back or even consider it, then the whole staff needs to be gutted. The assistants that we have now are hard-workers but SU needs great recruiters and player development to overcome the fact that we don't try to compete with the blue bloods for talent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom