Class of 2022 - SF Chris Bunch (CA / Wasatch) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE | Page 50 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 SF Chris Bunch (CA / Wasatch) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
He’s going to drive JB crazy.
1649092956100.gif

I'm more optimistic than most here. I think with the family and infrastructure he has around him with the Roc Nation angle i think he will get good advice and be encouraged to play with effort and accept coaching.

I'm more optimistic than most here. I think with the family and infrastructure he has around him with the Roc Nation angle i think he will get good advice and be encouraged to play with effort and accept coaching.
For me the one thing that's holding Chris back is when his shot isn't going in, he checks out... Like completly. If he can get past a bad shooting night mentally and still play good defense then he could be the best player in this class. He also has to improve his handle, too many times against top players he would get stripped which led to a fastbreak dunk.

For me the one thing that's holding Chris back is when his shot isn't going in, he checks out... Like completly. If he can get past a bad shooting night mentally and still play good defense then he could be the best player in this class. He also has to improve his handle, too many times against top players he would get stripped which led to a fastbreak dunk.
That might be true. The game I watched, he scored 2 pts and really, didn't help his team in any way. He can block shots coming from the weak side. We haven't seen that in a while.

Last edited:
That might be true. The game I watched, he scored 2 pts and really, didn't help his team in any way. He can block shots coming from the weak side. We haven't seen that in a while.

Agreed -- and that's another reason why the Southerland comparison seems apt.

Top notch athleticism, but tends to float on the perimeter, not much of a defender, doesn't put his athletic tools to best use on the glass, etc.

Agreed -- and that's another reason why the Southerland comparison seems apt.

Top notch athleticism, but tends to float on the perimeter, not much of a defender, doesn't put his athletic tools to best use on the glass, etc.
Now is a good time to remind most people on this board that Southerland was never a starter at SU, and didn't really make a big impact on the team until his junior year.

Now we are expecting this kid to come in and start as a freshman? That's a recipe for disaster, IMO.

Now is a good time to remind most people on this board that Southerland was never a starter at SU, and didn't really make a big impact on the team until his junior year.

Now we are expecting this kid to come in and start as a freshman? That's a recipe for disaster, IMO.
I'm expecting Taylor to start and Bunch to play a role.

I'm expecting Taylor to start and Bunch to play a role.
He's generously listed at 6-6. Also not physically ready to bang on the backline with ACC forwards.

Can't wait to see how that works out.

We need a portal forward. Badly. Will we go after one? Stay tuned

It would seem that a couple guys should be encouraged to seek other opportunities, or else this roster is short in some key areas - a slasher who can get to the basket (looks like Judah is going to be counted on to be that guy), another 3 point shooter so people don't key too much on Joe (maybe Bunch?), and a back-up center who can defend the post and rebound. Not another 210 lb. guy.

Quick question for this thread...anybody have anything good to say about any recruit for next year? From what I’ve read here nobody other than Mintz will help in any way next year.
It's not a knock on them. I like all of them. Some freshman are ready to go right away others need time.

Quick question for this thread...anybody have anything good to say about any recruit for next year? From what I’ve read here nobody other than Mintz will help in any way next year.
They all could end up being very good players for us. How many non top 90 players have come in here and helped right away since jb was coach?? Not many. Is it possible that 1 or 2 blow up over the summer? Sure. That would be wonderful. But hope isn't a plan. These guys haven't been that good at the high school level.

What??

I think Maliq Brown will be an early contributor because of his rebounding and size and defensive abilities. He's got the most beef of the incoming guys.

Peter Carey has ball skills that you don't see in a typical 7 footer, but he's still so skinny. He'll need a year or two to get stronger. But he's going to be pushed around for a while on defense. That will limit his minutes at the beginning.

I think Qadir Copeland is a talented offensive PG. Not a great shot, not super fast, but an amazing wingspan on defense, and a superior eye for the pass. And he doesn't just pass on the fast break, but in the half court offense, too. He's not strong on defense, and he doesn't have much of a jump shot. But he uses his body well to get into the lane and scores well at the rim, because of his size. He's raw, but he'll be like MCW or Ennis in a year or two.

Justin Taylor was a hot recruit a year ago at this time. But he wasn't great in the summer, and he hasn't lit it on fire on IMG's grad team. He had a year of prep. Hopefully his body is getting stronger. He's got nice form on his jump shot, but he seems low on confidence (or perhaps he's injured).

I haven't watch enough of Judah to have an opinion yet, but I know everyone's excited. I think he's going to be the guy who can get to the rim.

Chris Bunch is a guy who can shoot a 3 ball, and he's an OK athlete (any better than CJ Fair? Southerland was a leaper; I don't see quite as much from Bunch), and he doesn't seem to have much of a handle yet. If you can't dribble as a small forward, you are going to be limited to shooting spot up jumpers, or else you can't contribute much offensively.

To me, this looks like a team full of role players, although Judah is the designated "star".

I think Taylor will be able to contribute. Needing to start him is not ideal though.

I would also say there’s a lot of time between now and next season. It’s at least possible that Bunch improves and starts putting his athleticism to better use and can contribute out the gate. Or that Brown becomes a bit more explosive and is able to provide some grittiness that we didn’t have last season.

Are these things likely? Probably not. But I think it’s at least in the realm of possibility.

They all could end up being very good players for us. How many non top 90 players have come in here and helped right away since jb was coach?? Not many. Is it possible that 1 or 2 blow up over the summer? Sure. That would be wonderful. But hope isn't a plan. These guys haven't been that good at the high school level.
Amazing. Our 14th ranked recruiting class are guys who weren’t good in high school. Let’s just process that.

I think our fans are excessively downplaying a few of our guys too much now. It’s ok to be skeptical, but some of these kids are better than we give them credit for. Instead of looking at the skills they don’t have yet we can utilize them with the strengths they have.

I think Taylor has played a lot better recently than he did over the summer. You don’t have to believe me, but Melancer46 had a great review of one of his games recently in his recruiting thread. Another person I trust said he can be really effective for us on the offensive end of the court if he plays with guards that can set him up which I think we have.

I think we have to trust the coaches a little bit here. I think there’s a decent chance based on the odds one of these kids will be pretty good.

We have had some success with guys like Marek and Oshae in recent years when they were even further outside of the top 100. We have had talented kids like Woody who have left. Odds are one of the guys outside of Mintz will be good this year.

Amazing. Our 14th ranked recruiting class are guys who weren’t good in high school. Let’s just process that.
No They are all great and will help right away because guys rated where they are rated always come in and help right away. Let's process that. They are rated as the 14th rated because of the numbers of guys we got. Not the quality. And that isn't to say that they won't be good down the road. Which you haven't picked up that I have said about 10 times on this and other threads. Just that they won't help much next year. JFC Do me a favor, put me on ignore.

Last edited:
I think our fans are excessively downplaying a few of our guys too much now. It’s ok to be skeptical, but some of these kids are better than we give them credit for. Instead of looking at the skills they don’t have yet we can utilize them with the strengths they have.

I think Taylor has played a lot better recently than he did over the summer. You don’t have to believe me, but Melancer46 had a great review of one of his games recently in his recruiting thread. Another person I trust said he can be really effective for us on the offensive end of the court if he plays with guards that can set him up which I think we have.

I think we have to trust the coaches a little bit here. I think there’s a decent chance based on the odds one of these kids will be pretty good.

We have had some success with guys like Marek and Oshae in recent years when they were even further outside of the top 100. We have had talented kids like Woody who have left. Odds are one of the guys outside of Mintz will be good this year.
Ok question for you. Let's say we add no one else. How many games is this current roster winning?

No They are all great and will help right away because guys rated where they are rated always come in and help right away. Let's process that. They are rated as the 14th rated because of the numbers of guys we got. Not the quality. And that isn't to say that they won't be good down the road. Which you haven't picked up that I have said about 10 times on this and other threads. Just that they won't help much next year. JFC
What I “ picked up on” is that you said they haven’t been good at the high school level. Did you not say that?

What I “ picked up on” is that you said they haven’t been good at the high school level. Did you not say that?
I said they haven't been that good. And by that I mean, a guy that is good enough to come in and make a difference next year. I have said about 10x that I thought they would all be good down the road. At least 10 times. I don't think any of them, save Mintz, would be a starter on a good team next year. I also said that it was possible for them to blow up during the summer and be ready next year. I just don't see that right now. I have watched almost all of them. Other than Mintz, none of them are in the espn top 100. Only Mintz and Bunch show up in the 247 top 100. That doesn't scream starter to me. Clear enough for you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom