Class of 2022 - SF Chris Bunch (CA / Wasatch) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE | Page 51 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 SF Chris Bunch (CA / Wasatch) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok question for you. Let's say we add no one else. How many games is this current roster winning?
I don’t know. We could win 23 or we could miss the tournament. Everything about next season is unknown. We don’t know how good some of these guys can be.

You‘re assuming they aren’t good based on rankings along with a few other takes people are repeating from the summer. I like some players tape more than others. I am sure as heck of a lot more optimistic than I was a couple weeks ago.

I like our backcourt and I like our center. I think at least one freshmen will step up, but I won’t lie a lot of my optimism comes from assuming Benny will make a jump. I have that penned in to how we will be successful. If he doesn’t make a jump we are in trouble no matter what the freshmen do. Benny is the key to us having a good team next year. We have some certainties. He is not one of them, but we need him to be.

And people are free to have their own opinion, but I can see how we could possibly be good based what I’ve seen on tape.

I think our fans are excessively downplaying a few of our guys too much now. It’s ok to be skeptical, but some of these kids are better than we give them credit for. Instead of looking at the skills they don’t have yet we can utilize them with the strengths they have.

I think Taylor has played a lot better recently than he did over the summer. You don’t have to believe me, but Melancer46 had a great review of one of his games recently in his recruiting thread. Another person I trust said he can be really effective for us on the offensive end of the court if he plays with guards that can set him up which I think we have.

I think we have to trust the coaches a little bit here. I think there’s a decent chance based on the odds one of these kids will be pretty good.

We have had some success with guys like Marek and Oshae in recent years when they were even further outside of the top 100. We have had talented kids like Woody who have left. Odds are one of the guys outside of Mintz will be good this year.
Talented guys like Woody? He couldn't play at Okie st either. Maybe he isn't so talented.

I don’t know. We could win 23 or we could miss the tournament. Everything about next season is unknown. We don’t know how good some of these guys can be.

You‘re assuming they aren’t good based on rankings along with a few other takes people are repeating from the summer. I like some players tape more than others. I am sure as heck of a lot more optimistic than I was a couple weeks ago.

I like our backcourt and I like our center. I think at least one freshmen will step up, but I won’t lie a lot of my optimism comes from assuming Benny will make a jump. I have that penned in to how we will be successful. If he doesn’t make a jump we are in trouble no matter what the freshmen do. Benny is the key to us having a good team next year. We have some certainties. He is not one of them, but we need him to be.

And people are free to have their own opinion, but I can see how we could possibly be good based what I’ve seen on tape.
I thought that right up to the moment that Cole said see ya. I really liked that starting 5. But two big questions at forward is one too much for me. I live for a quality forward in the portal. Banana shake if we get one. Maybe with some junk food with it.

I thought that right up to the moment that Cole said see ya. I really liked that starting 5. But two big questions at forward is one too much for me. I live for a quality forward in the portal. Banana shake if we get one. Maybe with some junk food with it.
He could have been our Brady Manek to Jessie Edwards our Bacot. Can we find a Manek in the portal.

What I “ picked up on” is that you said they haven’t been good at the high school level. Did you not say that?
Oh, and no I didn't say that they haven't been good. I said they haven't been that good. Do you not understand the difference ? You read that entire post and that is what you came up with. Once again, please put me on ignore.

Oh, and no I didn't say that they haven't been good. I said they haven't been that good. Do you not understand the difference ? You read that entire post and that is what you came up with. Once again, please put me on ignore.
Why would I do that when everybody else enjoys our spirited banter. I don’t mean to discredit your knowledge in any way. I have just seen far too many lower rated guys come in and be really good players right out of the gate just as I’ve seen a number of highly rated guys struggle early on. While ratings do have legitimacy, it’s been proven often that they’re not always accurate. So to say that these guys won’t be ready to play well next year... I have to retort. It’s my nature.

Why would I do that when everybody else enjoys our spirited banter. I don’t mean to discredit your knowledge in any way. I have just seen far too many lower rated guys come in and be really good players right out of the gate just as I’ve seen a number of highly rated guys struggle early on. While ratings do have legitimacy, it’s been proven often that they’re not always accurate. So to say that these guys won’t be ready to play well next year... I have to retort. It’s my nature.
Fair enough. I have no problem with that. None at all. But you seemed much more snide than that. I also did say that they could blow up over the summer. And no one, will be hoping they do any more than I will

Fair enough. I have no problem with that. None at all. But you seemed much more snide than that. I also did say that they could blow up over the summer. And no one, will be hoping they do any more than I will
Will you buy the board milkshakes if bunch kills it as a freshman?

Will you buy the board milkshakes if bunch kills it as a freshman?
Oh yes. I would be happy to do that. He seems like a nice kid as well. I think there are things he can really help us with. Weak side shot blocking which Cole and Jimmy really couldn't do. And he has a nice looking shot. but he didn't seem highly motivated in the game I saw when things were going badly for him. Hopefully that is just being 18.

Talented guys like Woody? He couldn't play at Okie st either. Maybe he isn't so talented.

Switching systems, and getting to know (and be accepted by ...) a whole new set of teammates makes the success of most transfers a lot harder than maybe staying at their old teams. At least they came in with 'mates', they went through things together, you build comraderie, you make new friends. Being a transfer, you come in as a hired gun, to take somebody else's job on the team. It's a different thing.

What's the word with Chris Bunch...
Screenshot_20220405-024712_Gallery.jpg

Love the confidence.

Amazing. Our 14th ranked recruiting class are guys who weren’t good in high school. Let’s just process that.

There are SIX guys in it.

Five of which are “ok”, and the most recent one is a 4*.

Our last 4* guy did basically nothing as a Frosh.

As of now, we’re gonna need at least 1 or 2 of the non Mintz guys to be a Lawrence Moten for us.

Or at least a CJ, or Lydon.
Or Marek.

Hoping for 1 or 2 incredible surprises isn’t a very solid plan.

Quick question for this thread...anybody have anything good to say about any recruit for next year? From what I’ve read here nobody other than Mintz will help in any way next year.
Of course they’ll help. I expect one or two of Taylor, Bunch or Brown to be key contributors OFF THE BENCH next season, but we need an experienced, starting quality forward who can score and rebound. None of those guys should be counted on as starters. Mostly because you shouldn’t rely on freshman. I like our backcourt a lot (Mintz is gonna be a stud) and l love our center and I think Benny will make a leap.

Last edited:
What??

I think Maliq Brown will be an early contributor because of his rebounding and size and defensive abilities. He's got the most beef of the incoming guys.

Peter Carey has ball skills that you don't see in a typical 7 footer, but he's still so skinny. He'll need a year or two to get stronger. But he's going to be pushed around for a while on defense. That will limit his minutes at the beginning.

I think Qadir Copeland is a talented offensive PG. Not a great shot, not super fast, but an amazing wingspan on defense, and a superior eye for the pass. And he doesn't just pass on the fast break, but in the half court offense, too. He's not strong on defense, and he doesn't have much of a jump shot. But he uses his body well to get into the lane and scores well at the rim, because of his size. He's raw, but he'll be like MCW or Ennis in a year or two.

Justin Taylor was a hot recruit a year ago at this time. But he wasn't great in the summer, and he hasn't lit it on fire on IMG's grad team. He had a year of prep. Hopefully his body is getting stronger. He's got nice form on his jump shot, but he seems low on confidence (or perhaps he's injured).

I haven't watch enough of Judah to have an opinion yet, but I know everyone's excited. I think he's going to be the guy who can get to the rim.

Chris Bunch is a guy who can shoot a 3 ball, and he's an OK athlete (any better than CJ Fair? Southerland was a leaper; I don't see quite as much from Bunch), and he doesn't seem to have much of a handle yet. If you can't dribble as a small forward, you are going to be limited to shooting spot up jumpers, or else you can't contribute much offensively.

To me, this looks like a team full of role players, although Judah is the designated "star".
Good take...as the class stands right now, I see Taylor and Brown as the linchpin recruits. We will badly need Justin to be a major three point threat from either 2G or SF. I think Brown has the potential to be one of those underrated glue guys.

of course, this is a recruiting thread, but the biggest wildcard on the roster might be what sort of a jump we get out of Benny.

Getting a starting caliber forward who is a three point threat from the portal would be huge.

He is basically saying that he can score 20 with ease.
Thank you. He has a lot of work to do to get to that level.

He does have potential. See his height listed at 6'6, 6'7 and 6'8. Looks about 6'7 to me. Weight is listed at 190. That I do believe. He better get that up to at least 200 if he wants regular playing time.

Quick question for this thread...anybody have anything good to say about any recruit for next year? From what I’ve read here nobody other than Mintz will help in any way next year.
Nobody other than mintz is inside the top 100, so yeah… there’s that. We’re just honest.

Nobody other than mintz is inside the top 100, so yeah… there’s that. We’re just honest.
Literally 4 of our guys are top 100 on MULTIPLE sites.

Judah is 33rd on ON3, 35th on ESPN
Bunch is 55th on 247, as hard as that is to believe for some of you and I don't know everyone is acting like bunch can't play worth a crap.
Taylor is 68th on Rivals, when he's on hes on. Also take in to account hes a shooting guard that had to play a power forward role during high school.
Quadir is 86th on Rivals, and I'm not sure why other sites don't rank him higher. Pretty sure he's like just outside the top 100 on ESPN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom