Class of 2022 - SF Chris Bunch (CA / Wasatch) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE | Page 49 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 SF Chris Bunch (CA / Wasatch) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eh, if all he does is dunks and makes threes, let's run offense that gets him dunks and threes.
MQUSuzc.gif

Bunch can be a fine player for us. He has the athleticism and shooting ability to fit here as a Southerland type. We don’t need everyone to create their own shot. We need to get more motion in our sets and movement away from ISO ball anyway.

Yeah I think it will have more to do with his ability to defend. If he can defend then athleticism and shooting is there to help on offense.

3 and D is a position in the NBA. Why can't we have 3 and dunk and D?
I think it’s the “D” part that might be in question here.

I think it’s the “D” part that might be in question here.
Really all of it is in question but he at least took a lot of 3’s in high school which is sometimes a better indicator for projecting shooting skill than actually making them.

Bunch's numbers in the EYBL were solid so that gives us some idea that he can produce against top competition. I think he has the athleticism to play defense. It's the effort that has come into question at times.
Lack of effort will find him sitting next to the assistant coaches.

Yeah I was using the term casually. I don't see it either given that while he has the tools he has even been inconsistent at Wasatch which, even with good competition is a walk in the park vs the collegiate level.

Bunch somewhat continues the trend of great kids with some intriguing skills but also with clear areas of development that show up even at this level. You could argue that many of our better recruiting classes didn't have the obvious areas of development before stepping on campus as most were elite in comparison to the majority of their peers.

We've been watching his clips for months, and I still don't see a guy who can dribble. He's not our savior, guys. He's not even a James Southerland, athletically or with his 3 point shot. He might be a Preston Shumpert in a couple years. Which is not bad, but let's talk about what we see, and I don't see a guy who can dribble yet.

We've been watching his clips for months, and I still don't see a guy who can dribble. He's not our savior, guys. He's not even a James Southerland, athletically or with his 3 point shot. He might be a Preston Shumpert in a couple years. Which is not bad, but let's talk about what we see, and I don't see a guy who can dribble yet.
Hes also has grown to like 6 foot 9... don't think his handle will be an issue either
SmartSelect_20220315-150147_Instagram.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

We shall see. I hope he proves all of us seeing him as a developmental guy vs immediate contributor wrong.

His handle, body control in the air and shimmy moves to get 3s off look pretty good to me. Most 6’8”” guys don’t handle like guards. Looks good in transition also. Biggest challenge will be strength and defense, IMO. Look at 2022 video

Woody showed some skills with the bounce his final prep year. Don't see any of that with Bunch.
I don’t think Woody was any better off the bounce in high school but I would say it was a significant weakness for both of them so not saying much.

I don’t think Woody was any better off the bounce in high school but I would say it was a significant weakness for both of them so not saying much.

Woody , at least in the tape I saw had some ability off the bounce ( his final year that is). Not a ton but some. I don't see anything at all on tape with Bunch

Woody , at least in the tape I saw had some ability off the bounce ( his final year that is). Not a ton but some. I don't see anything at all on tape with Bunch
I watched probably 5 of Woody’s games and I’m not exaggerating when I say he turned it over over 50% of the time when he dribbled the ball. It was legitimately impressive to watch.

I watched probably 5 of Woody’s games and I’m not exaggerating when I say he turned it over over 50% of the time when he dribbled the ball. It was legitimately impressive to watch.

Oh I'm not doubting it I remember the breakdowns. I haven't seen Bunch do it once outside of a breakaway dunk.

Another full game video of Bunch's team for those interested against Montverde.

He probably isn't a Syracuse-level recruit, but I'm kinda surprised that Matus Hronsky hasn't gotten any offers (at least that I know of). He's like 6'7" and is just a very good 3 point shooter.

Another full game video of Bunch's team for those interested against Montverde.

He probably isn't a Syracuse-level recruit, but I'm kinda surprised that Matus Hronsky hasn't gotten any offers (at least that I know of). He's like 6'7" and is just a very good 3 point shooter.
I watched most of this clip.

To my eyes, Bunch is quicker, jumps far better and is just more athletic in general than Newton. Appears to be a better outside shooter as well. Newton was better defensively.

He drove to the basket 3 times. Unsuccessfully but he tried. His handle seems fine. No concerns in that area.

He is a far better athlete than Shump. Looks perimeter oriented, very good in transition, excellent outside shooter. Not very strong, not a banger, unlikely to ever be a top rebounder. I don’t think he is going to block shots either.

Limited ability to get to the paint.

Very Southerland like. I am not sure he is as tall as Dirty was and it is hard to tell on tape how gaseous he is. But based on this one game, he looks like Southerland only a bit further developed at the same age. Dirty developed a lot during his time on the hill.

Here are Dirty’s stats at Syracuse. I think a similar career path is reasonable to expect. Because he is more advanced, I think he will be better a little earlier.

I watched most of this clip.

To my eyes, Bunch is quicker, jumps far better and is just more athletic in general than Newton. Appears to be a better outside shooter as well. Newton was better defensively.

He drove to the basket 3 times. Unsuccessfully but he tried. His handle seems fine. No concerns in that area.

He is a far better athlete than Shump. Looks perimeter oriented, very good in transition, excellent outside shooter. Not very strong, not a banger, unlikely to ever be a top rebounder. I don’t think he is going to block shots either.

Limited ability to get to the paint.

Very Southerland like. I am not sure he is as tall as Dirty was and it is hard to tell on tape how gaseous he is. But based on this one game, he looks like Southerland only a bit further developed at the same age. Dirty developed a lot during his time on the hill.

Here are Dirty’s stats at Syracuse. I think a similar career path is reasonable to expect. Because he is more advanced, I think he will be better a little earlier.

Nice to see him play well against the best of the best. For me biggest thing is that quick release and athleticism. If he can defend admirably and hit his jump shot confidently then he can be a nice bench piece right out of the gate. Certainly he won't have shell shock facing elite talent after playing at Wasatch which is great.

Nice to see him play well against the best of the best. For me biggest thing is that quick release and athleticism. If he can defend admirably and hit his jump shot confidently then he can be a nice bench piece right out of the gate. Certainly he won't have shell shock facing elite talent after playing at Wasatch which is great.
yeah, he does seem to have a built-in confidence about him

yeah, he does seem to have a built-in confidence about him

Yeah the shot goes up quickly and confidently. He had a couple bad misses but the other misses were soft on the rim and one was in and out.

Also he gets a little chuck happy but showed restraint as well as he went a while without getting many touches or looks. His drives ended not so great but two of them showed purpose. He is certainly no Mookie J.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom