Class of 2022 - SF Chris Bunch (CA / Wasatch) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE | Page 53 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 SF Chris Bunch (CA / Wasatch) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Four guys walk into a bar. 1 of the 4 doesn't think the bartender is any good because he or she pours his drink slower. The other three would prefer to get it faster but still like the drink and are able to enjoy their time. That 4th guy disagrees and just thinks he should have a better bartender.

The 4th guy is an outlier. That said if he gives a bad yelp review, the result is a 3.5 star rating vs a 4.5. So next time you go look up the yelp review- it looks pretty meh. All that because of one person bringing things down. So when you evaluate - it's more than just rankings.

As Bees said look at one site then like rivals- in that scenario they didn't invite the 4th guy
wouldn’t timely service be something some people would want at the bar? Maybe you wouldn’t care… but others might.

I get that rivals has some questionable rating tactics, but every recruit is judged by the same composite and they all have to deal with outlier scores, potentially. Take away the lowest rating from Bunch and you have to do that for every other recruit in the system. The net result is that he may not be ranked any higher unless you think there’s a conspiracy where rivals is purposely trying to undervalue Syracuse.

wouldn’t timely service be something some people would want at the bar? Maybe you wouldn’t care… but others might.

I get that rivals has some questionable rating tactics, but every recruit is judged by the same composite and they all have to deal with outlier scores, potentially. Take away the lowest rating from Bunch and you have to do that for every other recruit in the system. The net result is that he may not be ranked any higher unless you think there’s a conspiracy where rivals is purposely trying to undervalue Syracuse.
My problem with some the fans who call out the rankings is most have never watched these guys play. So when people make posts about players and someone responds with rankings it's lazy analysis.

Keep in mind rankings can be all over the place because scouts aren't watching every game these guys play. That's why the rankings for each service are different.

Bunch player pretty well in AAU and wasn't very good in HS. Taylor wasn't very good in AAU, but has been much better at IMG.

For that reason I am more bullish on Taylor than Bunch.

Using rankings to rebut what people have seen with their eyes is lazy analysis IMO. And I've seen these guys play so that's why am calling out the rankings stuff. It's just another piece of analysis to look at.

I thought that right up to the moment that Cole said see ya. I really liked that starting 5. But two big questions at forward is one too much for me. I live for a quality forward in the portal. Banana shake if we get one. Maybe with some junk food with it.
Now you're just looking for excuses.

My problem with some the fans who call out the rankings is most have never watched these guys play. So when people make posts about players and someone responds with rankings it's lazy analysis.

Keep in mind rankings can be all over the place because scouts aren't watching every game these guys play. That's why the rankings for each service are different.

Bunch player pretty well in AAU and wasn't very good in HS. Taylor wasn't very good in AAU, but has been much better at IMG.

Using rankings to rebut what people have seen with their eyes is lazy analysis IMO. And I've seen these guys play so that's why am calling out the rankings stuff. It's just another piece of analysis to look at.

Agreed 144%.

Taylor has a much more well-rounded, diversified game.
In addition to having a little more beef on his bones too.

Bunch is a streaky outside shooter, and that's... about it.
He could end up being like DNic or Southy. In time.
Or he could end up Mookie 2.0.

Ok- you wanted it explained simply- you got it. If you are running a diagnostic on the example then you can figure out how this works on your own.

Not to mention at this point you are just arguing to argue.

Sadly some will watch the videos and still see what they want to see.

There were clear pros and cons of Bunchs game on his Wasatch tape. Some want to dismiss the areas that need work and just roll with fantasizing about how good the positives could be, then come back and beat up a ranking based on that view/fantasy alone ignoring everything else. Even despite recent struggles for freshmen and the nature of guys who aren't top 25/30 or so.

At the end of the day, we desperately need one of Taylor or Bunch to replace a good chunk of Cole's shooting and rebounding. Bunch looks too one-dimensional and too skinny. Taylor is supposedly more well-rounded but forgot how to shoot. The bigger question is why does JAB disagree with his assistants on the need to find a 1-year hired gun? The assistants are the ones who go out and see all these kids play and probably have a better read on this, no?

Mathematically, it seems pretty likely that if you took the composite, there would be fewer guys with a combined ranking under 100 than 100 players.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding your point here (and I don't really want to drag this argument on even further so no worries either way), but if you're saying that the 247 composite rankings would theoretically only have 95 players that end up with a top 100 ranking, that's not how it works. They just average together number ratings (or whatever, I don't really care enough to have researched how they do it) and then sort by that new rating number so you still end up with 100 guys in the top 100 at the end of the day. But you're correct that if one service ranks a guy 400th while the others rank him 50th, it's going to drag him down a lot and that's kinda the point of it.

If I recall correctly, one limitation of this is that one or some of the recruiting services used to not bother ranking Canadian prospects, so they would always be dragged down in the 247 composite as a result. I feel like this is something that was discussed with Guerrier and Brissett.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your point here (and I don't really want to drag this argument on even further so no worries either way), but if you're saying that the 247 composite rankings would theoretically only have 95 players that end up with a top 100 ranking, that's not how it works. They just average together number ratings (or whatever, I don't really care enough to have researched how they do it) and then sort by that new rating number so you still end up with 100 guys in the top 100 at the end of the day. But you're correct that if one service ranks a guy 400th while the others rank him 50th, it's going to drag him down a lot and that's kinda the point of it.

If I recall correctly, one limitation of this is that one or some of the recruiting services used to not bother ranking Canadian prospects, so they would always be dragged down in the 247 composite as a result. I feel like this is something that was discussed with Guerrier and Brissett.
Is that how the composite rating works?

Is that how the composite rating works?
I know I've been on the internet too long when I can't differentiate sarcasm and pure idiocy any longer.

OiG is rarely an idiot, so I'm guessing sarcasm. Half of this thread is like a Will Farrell skit.

I need a nap and baseball hasn't even started yet.

At the end of the day, we desperately need one of Taylor or Bunch to replace a good chunk of Cole's shooting and rebounding. Bunch looks too one-dimensional and too skinny. Taylor is supposedly more well-rounded but forgot how to shoot. The bigger question is why does JAB disagree with his assistants on the need to find a 1-year hired gun? The assistants are the ones who go out and see all these kids play and probably have a better read on this, no?
I think JAB wants to be able to show the media and fans how much we miss Jimmy and Buddy. We will hear next year about how we cant shoot and you need shooting to win.

I think JAB wants to be able to show the media and fans how much we miss Jimmy and Buddy. We will hear next year about how we cant shoot and you need shooting to win.
Heed needs to cut bait with Owens, Jon Bol who are not going to contribute and bring a 1 and done stud transfer in who is proven. If we do this we will be loaded

I know I've been on the internet too long when I can't differentiate sarcasm and pure idiocy any longer.

OiG is rarely an idiot, so I'm guessing sarcasm. Half of this thread is like a Will Farrell skit.

I need a nap and baseball hasn't even started yet.
I mean, rarely an idiot is pretty generous.

I mean, rarely an idiot is pretty generous.
Just because I couldn't think of any examples doesn't mean there aren't some out there...

I was being sarcastic but do think we need to add a proven wing who can shoot And dont see Owens or Jon Bol being the answer

No one is debating whether these kids will be good and be valuable assets to this program. The problem is If we don't add anyone we need them to.be really good right away and fill in for a guy.that scored 36 against the team that should have won it all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom