Class of 2022 - SF Chris Bunch (CA / Wasatch) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE | Page 54 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 SF Chris Bunch (CA / Wasatch) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
See? His release point is fine, but he starts the shot so low that he will need a lot of space to get it off.

I think concerns about a player starting is shot low is overrated. It’s call the dip. I watched a shooting clinic by a guy who works with NBA players and he talked about wherever you catch the ball, you should bring the ball down them up to shoot. He called it the dip. His claim is that only Ray Allen never brought the ball down or started down low.

I think concerns about a player starting is shot low is overrated. It’s call the dip. I watched a shooting clinic by a guy who works with NBA players and he talked about wherever you catch the ball, you should bring the ball down them up to shoot. He called it the dip. His claim is that only Ray Allen never brought the ball down or started down low.
His is pretty severe, and I have seen the debate before. When I think of Chuck Person, Dale Ellis...I don't remember seeing a dip, at least not one like Bunch's. But, I also think that it inhibits a true jump shot. But, guys aren't shooting true jump shots anymore, unless it is midrange. Shooting more of a set shot with a dip gives them much more range.

His is pretty severe, and I have seen the debate before. When I think of Chuck Person, Dale Ellis...I don't remember seeing a dip, at least not one like Bunch's. But, I also think that it inhibits a true jump shot. But, guys aren't shooting true jump shots anymore, unless it is midrange. Shooting more of a set shot with a dip gives them much more range.

When this shooting “guru” made the claim about Ray Allen I went and looked at several NBA players and damn, he was right. Now lift off the floor when you’re shooting is a different story. Being flat footed is not good.

When this shooting “guru” made the claim about Ray Allen I went and looked at several NBA players and damn, he was right. Now lift off the floor when you’re shooting is a different story. Being flat footed is not good.
Yeah, I just looked at Chuck Person, Dale Ellis and Glen Rice. I guess I see it. But, it seems different to me. It doesn't appear to me that "the dip" is anything other than catch point to shooting stroke transition. I am probably wrong, but if it works and he can get it off, then keep it going. I worked really hard on my shot, to get it fast and to start from that L under the ball with my elbow to my shoulder parallel to the ground and to jump as high as I could (used to be quite high). That is what I consider a jumpshot. I had good range, but I could never shoot that form from 35 feet. Stepping in to it I would be lucky to get even close to 30 feet. Anyway, I just want to see a bunch go in. Intended.

Calling Bunch as the second coming of Lawrence Moten, right now.

His shooting stroke in game isn't as bad as the 3pt shooting contest stroke. He'll be perfectly fine getting his shot off.

Honestly if he/they just work on him elevating off the ground a couple more inches I think it’ll be fine.

Surprisingly, a lot of effective NBA players don't elevate much. Doncic don't jump. Just a second ago, i saw Jimmy Butler shoot a 3 without much appreciable lift. You have to be dangerous enough to go by someone so that the defender is going to give you a bit of space. Moves, deceptiveness, rhythm, height—lots of factors and tools help to give a shooter space. I'm assuming, also, that the amount a player jumps is dependent on the situation. Which doesn't help with consistency, but that's reality.

Yeah, the hair—don't get me started...

Surprisingly, a lot of effective NBA players don't elevate much. Doncic don't jump. Just a second ago, i saw Jimmy Butler shoot a 3 without much appreciable lift. You have to be dangerous enough to go by someone so that the defender is going to give you a bit of space. Moves, deceptiveness, rhythm, height—lots of factors and tools help to give a shooter space. I'm assuming, also, that the amount a player jumps is dependent on the situation. Which doesn't help with consistency, but that's reality.

Yeah, the hair—don't get me started...
It’s about pace.
Luka, Joker, Greek Freak, Steph, Harden- they all have a pace that they set on their offensive moves.
Not sure if Bunch has the handle to create his own pace, but until he does he’ll never be a Lawrence Moten.
Worst case scenario he’s another Southerland, effective but one dimensional.
I’ll take that in a heartbeat.

Just went back and rewatched Larry Bird’s 3 point contest win (the famous one). Looks like he elevated about 4-5 inches lol.

Yeah, and Larry Bird was 6-9 at SF. He could shoot over most people who guarded him. And he was quick with his moves. I like Bunch, but he's a 6-7 set shooter from 3. He'll need open looks.

Jordan Poole is 6‘ 3.5”. He has a low-release push-type shot without a lot of elevation. I‘m not worried about Bunch in that respect. Players adapt and make decisions based on what’s in front of them. He’ll get open or be open because Mintz will break down Ds and find him.

Bunch does concern me in that he seems to make spectacular plays a third of the time and then headscratchers the other two-thirds of the time. I wonder how much of that he‘ll be allowed to play through.

This is the one recruit I can't quite put a value on...
Seems 1 dimensional in his game but is ranked in the top 100.

I mean, it would be amazing if he came in like Lawrence Moten. But, more realistically, he can aim for Luke Jackson.

Having a set shot or close to a set shot isn't really all that rare anymore. It's generally more consistent than a true jump shot so a lot of spot up shooters have gravitated towards that in recent years. The concern with him IMO is his feet. He shoots with such a wide base that it requires him to have two different shooting forms; one for his spot up shooting and one for if he's moving, dribbling, etc. His preferred shooting form simply doesn't work if he isn't standing still.

Jordan Poole is 6‘ 3.5”. He has a low-release push-type shot without a lot of elevation. I‘m not worried about Bunch in that respect. Players adapt and make decisions based on what’s in front of them. He’ll get open or be open because Mintz will break down Ds and find him.

Bunch does concern me in that he seems to make spectacular plays a third of the time and then headscratchers the other two-thirds of the time. I wonder how much of that he‘ll be allowed to play through.

Jordan Poole can shoot off the dribble. That makes all the difference.
Bunch hasn't shown he's capable of that, yet.

This is the one recruit I can't quite put a value on...
Seems 1 dimensional in his game but is ranked in the top 100.
He's an athletic 6'7" kid whose best skill is the most important thing in the game...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors