Class of 2022 - SF Chris Bunch (CA / Wasatch) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE | Page 55 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 SF Chris Bunch (CA / Wasatch) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure how I feel about him, either, guys... I was just making the case for him being ranked in the top100. Any given year, there are only so many really tall guys who can hit the three and run up and down the floor without falling down. :)

Plus, didn't we just see video of him dunking an alley OOP from one step inside the ft line?

He's also incredibly one-dimensional, in a way that doesn't maximize the utilization of his athletic tools, and shows sporadic effort. Especially on defense and on the glass. Two traits that won't endear him to JB.
Yeah, this whole class will be entertaining to follow as they develop. Mintz better contribute big time, beyond Mintz, we need guys from this class to contribute, but it's a crapshoot as to who that guy or guys will be. I think Taylor, because he is physically ready for this level. But, I am not confident in that. Either way, it will be fun to watch these guys in the early part of the season.

Maybe we can give the coaches some time and see what they can do? Not many freshman come out of the gate ACC ready. Think about all the lottery 5 stars from dook. Then we get the surprises, Ennis. We have a ton of upside. But it may not be realized this year.

For the Chris can only shoot crew. The athleticism is there...
P.S. I don't think all these dunks are 10s though. The 1st one has him taking off a step inside the free throw line and catching an oop. That 2nd one was really nice.

P.S. I don't think all these dunks are 10s though. The 1st one has him taking off a step inside the free throw line and catching an oop. That 2nd one was really nice.
Yeah, he’s 6’7”, I would expect a kid his height to be able to throw down those dunks.

Nobody and I mean NOBODY questions his athleticism. But how he plays often negates the benefits that being a plus athlete usually provide.

Nobody and I mean NOBODY questions his athleticism. But how he plays often negates the benefits that being a plus athlete usually provide.
That's one of the reasons why they go to college - to learn how to play the game better. He will learn, or he won't play, which will help him learn.

That's one of the reasons why they go to college - to learn how to play the game better. He will learn, or he won't play, which will help him learn.

For a skill standpoint -- sure.

From a motor / intensity / willingness to do the dirty work standpoint, that perspective completely misses the mark.

Bunch has a nice skill set. No doubt, he'll improve as a function of playing better competition at the collegiate level. He'll also improve over time as he gets more physically mature and gains experience.

The problem with Bunch is -- and always has been -- that he doesn't work hard on defense or on the glass. Learning "...how to play the game better" can't fix that. Very few players demonstrate a low motor, and then suddenly flip the switch when they get to college.

Very few players demonstrate a low motor, and then suddenly flip the switch when they get to college.
essentially this is true - but I think it's not uncommon for kids who've played with a low-ish motor in HS and never had real repercussions from it in HS get to college and quickly get conditioned to play with a better motor because there are repercussions (sitting on the bench, getting outplayed by equally/more talented players)

Very few players demonstrate a low motor, and then suddenly flip the switch when they get to college.
I don't know about that - all their games will be on TV and nobody wants to be seen on TV dogging it. I think Kadary had the same rep out of high school - that he had a low motor. To varying degrees, every one of these kids have to be competitors. When they see how hard everyone else is pushing, they tend to turn it up a notch. We shall see.

I don't know about that - all their games will be on TV and nobody wants to be seen on TV dogging it. I think Kadary had the same rep out of high school - that he had a low motor. To varying degrees, every one of these kids have to be competitors. When they see how hard everyone else is pushing, they tend to turn it up a notch. We shall see.

Kadary put Brewster on his back at times in the playoffs and title games his final year. Tough love used to be the way to help kids understand what it takes. Nowadays that approach backfires a lot and the portal just adds more fuel.

Kadary put Brewster on his back at times in the playoffs and title games his final year. Tough love used to be the way to help kids understand what it takes. Nowadays that approach backfires a lot and the portal just adds more fuel.

I think kids today can take tough love but it has to be the right way. Private conversations, tough love and then motivation. Dogging guys by calling them out in front of the team or publicly is not it anymore.

What's funny is that one of the poster's that liked your post had this to say about Kadary when he signed:
"Effort on D is sporadic, at best."
"The D effort will improve, or he’ll get to watch a lot of hoops sitting next to JB."

What's funny is that one of the poster's that liked your post had this to say about Kadary when he signed:
"Effort on D is sporadic, at best."
"The D effort will improve, or he’ll get to watch a lot of hoops sitting next to JB."

Was that still after he went on a tear to end the season? A lot of heads turned and eyes widened after that along with what his coach and others were saying.

Was that still after he went on a tear to end the season? A lot of heads turned and eyes widened after that along with what his coach and others were saying.
I don’t know. My whole point is that we won’t know what kind of effort Chris Bunch will show until we actually see him at this level. 19 yo males are sometimes hard to figure out. Some good posters think he will be starting and other good posters think he shows poor effort. I hope he comes in and kills it.

I don’t know. My whole point is that we won’t know what kind of effort Chris Bunch will show until we actually see him at this level. 19 yo males are sometimes hard to figure out. Some good posters think he will be starting and other good posters think he shows poor effort. I hope he comes in and kills it.

I think it's fair to say that the views lean towards the general poor batting average we have had in recruiting successes of late. Optimism is cautious at best right now and I don't think there is a solid argument against anyone with that guarded position. A class that breaks out and goes 4 deep in terms of hitting the mark is both overdue and also feels like it's just very unlikely.

I don't disagree with hoping and feel the same. I want to say we are overdue but a big part of that is the quality and work that precedes getting the job done.

You hope he comes in and kills it??? So does everyone else.

I think it's fair to say that the views lean towards the general poor batting average we have had in recruiting successes of late. Optimism is cautious at best right now and I don't think there is a solid argument against anyone with that guarded position. A class that breaks out and goes 4 deep in terms of hitting the mark is both overdue and also feels like it's just very unlikely.

I don't disagree with hoping and feel the same. I want to say we are overdue but a big part of that is the quality and work that precedes getting the job done.

My expectations for this freshman class are pretty standard. 2 will exceed expectations, 2 will meet expectations and 2 will miss expectations.

I’m one who’s gut feel is that he starts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom