Class of 2023 - SF Marcus Adams (CA) Offered | Page 18 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2023 SF Marcus Adams (CA) Offered

We may still land Adams who knows but I sure as hell fee a lot better missing out on someone like him now then I would have in the past half decade or so because the likelihood of someone else very talented getting that Big NIL offer from AW as the “Adams beck up plan” I’d assume is high.

If I were Adams, USC and UCLA swooping in at the last minute would not impress me. He's right there in their backyard and only now they are showing interest, mainly because SU put him on the map with major interest and a big NIL offer. Usually after a recruit starts receiving top offers, other schools jump in blindly with offers, hence Arkansas, Kansas, Indiana etc... be smart and don't be swayed. Stick with the team(s) that's been with you for a long time, recognized your talent early on and did the due diligence.

If I were Adams, USC and UCLA swooping in at the last minute would not impress me. He's right there in their backyard and only now they are showing interest, mainly because SU put him on the map with major interest and a big NIL offer. Usually after a recruit starts receiving top offers, other schools jump in blindly with offers, hence Arkansas, Kansas, Indiana etc... be smart and don't be swayed. Stick with the team(s) that's been with you for a long time, recognized your talent early on and did the due diligence.
But its UCLA

I think that as the whole NIL issue continues to evolve, it's apparent that AW and the other Syracuse collectives keep us in the ball game but don't give us any significant competitive advantage. We're just another player, probably middle of the road at best when compared to schools in the big 5 conferences. It's not a criticism, just the reality. I see it first hand in the southeast.

Given that it's not simply a matter of throwing $$ on the table, SU still needs to be competitive in the typical basketball areas of concern that a player is looking for.

To me this means being more competitive in the ACC (top 4 would be nice), top 20-25 nationally, tv exposure that comes with being in the upper echelon, avid fan support. Probably most significant a record of player development and success in getting players to the NBA. Priority #1 for the top tier athletes.

But it's Duke - Jordan Tucker
But it's Kentucky - Quade Green

Same situation, same story. Hopefully, if that's the route he goes it won't be similar outcome.
NIL didn’t exist then so no not the same.

Not sure what boosters have more money. Usc or ucla. Lived in SoCal for 11 years. The wealth is astronomical. There are a million Adam’s unfortunately. This is going to be a tough climb now. And Adam can literally only do so much. This is the state of this now where someone can literally just swoop in and that’s it and nothing the staff can do. Weird times
This is exactly what I was talking about last week in the Choppa thread.

Missed our window of opportunity.
How? How did we miss our window of opportunity? Syracuse offered, AW offered an NIL, they got him up for an official visit and the coaches were obviously open to re-class. What did they do wrong in this scenario? Should they have locked the kid in Newhouse and not let him leave until he signs an NIL?

How? How did we miss our window of opportunity? Syracuse offered, AW offered an NIL, they got him up for an official visit and the coaches were obviously open to re-class. What did they do wrong in this scenario? Should they have locked the kid in Newhouse and not let him leave until he signs an NIL?

Really? Because this is a high major prospect from the west coast who didn't have offers from "local" programs, that we were in a solid position to pull East due to AW's NIL offer. That the offer was contingent upon him reclassifying was also favorable for us, given that we don't have any other recruits lined up for the class of 2023.

Before we were able to get him to take the deal, however, he got offers from hometown UCLA and USC. Then he got an offer from Kansas.

Remind me again how we generally fare once the blue chips get involved with a player we're recruiting?

Two weeks ago, Adams seemed like he was coming to Syracuse to get that NIL on a bullet. A lot has changed in two weeks.

All of the above is how we have likely missed our window.

I didn't say nor imply that the coaches did anything "wrong."

Last edited:
Really? Because this is a high major prospect from the west coast who didn't have offers from "local" programs, that we were in a solid position to pull East due to AW's NIL offer. That the offer was contingent upon him reclassifying was also favorable for us, given that we don't have any other recruits lined up for the class of 2023.

Before we were able to get him to take the deal, however, he got offers from hometown UCLA and USC. Then he got an offer from Kansas.

Remind me again how we generally fare once the blue chips get involved with a player we're recruiting?

Two weeks ago, Adams seemed like he was coming to Syracuse to get that NIL on a bullet. A lot has changed in two weeks.

All of the above is how we have likely missed our window.

I didn't say nor imply that the coaches did anything "wrong."
Missing an opportunity implies that one was there and it wasn’t seized. There was no opportunity to seize.

Missing an opportunity implies that one was there and it wasn’t seized. There was no opportunity to seize.

What I actually said is that we missed our WINDOW of opportunity.

As in, to land this kid before other schools jumped in.

You're taking this in a different direction.

SU can spin this. We recognized his talents before everyone else and want him for next year. One year playing for a Hall of Fame coach is appealing. His AAU coach said he had a fabulous visit and had great conversations with all of the coaches. He highlighted his one on one talk with JB. He wants to be one and done, so who knows what his opportunities are elsewhere. He knows he will play at SU. I’m not ready to count SU out quite yet. We also have AW on our side. We definitely need to get him back for another visit. If he comes back, I like our chances. If he doesn’t come back, it’s likely over.

UCLA has two forward commits for the class of 2023.
USC has one forward commit for the class of 2023.
Kansas has no forwards committed for 2023.
I don't care about Nebraska.

NIL didn’t exist then so no not the same.
It's the same in the sense of falling in love with Johnny come lately who most likely do not prioritize you.

Also, for the naive or pretend naive, NIL replaces the "bag" the "car" and all the illegal methods to pay a recruit.

Its a measuring stick to see if AW's offer stands up compared to some other good programs with deep pockets likely.

If it does, great. If it doesn't, get me a transfer who has been productive for 2 years at the college level.