Class of 2018 - SF/PF Robert Braswell (SC) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 SF/PF Robert Braswell (SC) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE

He's a high school senior, late in his senior year. May have lots going on back home e.g. proms, exams, senior class functions etc. that he is working around, plus weekend v. weeknight may not mean too much on the SU end at this point aren't the SU kids headed home by now?

Yep. This is currently Finals Week with Commencement being on Mother's Day. Most kids will be gone from campus by Wednesday.

Absolutely is. Jim doesnt just offer to offer
I feel like HW kinda falls into that category. Bonus player without big expectations. 50/50 he amounts to anything. Not saying that means anything for Braswell.

I feel like HW kinda falls into that category. Bonus player without big expectations. 50/50 he amounts to anything. Not saying that means anything for Braswell.
Potential true pg who stroked the 3 in AAU/hs.

Needs a couple years to develop. HW was good enough to get multiple alternative d1 offers and commit to Butler originally. He provides luxury depth at a position we have talented upperclassmen in at the moment.

HW was an option down the line from QG, i dont believe he was a last resort type of recruit as many here would say

Agreed. I'm not comparing their games, but I could see a kid like HW having a Greg Monroe type of career here. Nothing wrong with that.

I remember Tony well. He was a kid who I always thought should have been given an opportunity to earn a larger role. Typical example of a boeheimed kid. He seemed to have the size and the smoothness on his shot.

Towards the end of his last season, he finally got some post season opportunities due to injury. He showed well in the BET, but unfortunately, he was pretty mediocre in his first two NCAA games and stank up the place in our loss to Minnesota that eliminated us from the dance.

It seemed to be a situation where he wasn't receiving enough developmental minutes to really be ready when his chance finally came.

Not sure why he transferred as a probably would have been a starter or worst case a sixth man as a junior.

Not sure about the other stuff, but that might explain why he did not fulfill what i thought was his talent level and maybe due to that stuff his transfer was forced.
3/16 from the field vs the Gophers

Yes I remember he rebelled when JB told him he was carrying too much weight to become the elite guard he thought he could be. He left for Hawaii and said that maturity made him realize that JB was only being totally honest with him. He said looking back his weight did impact his conditioning, speed, effectiveness and career.
one thing about Anthony Harris, he was a huge Dallas Cowboys fan along with John Wallace

Agreed. I'm not comparing their games, but I could see a kid like HW having a Greg Monroe type of career here. Nothing wrong with that.
Absolutely, multiple year contributor and starter on a Final Four team his senior year. Sounds good to me.

Not at all .. Monroe was a 44% 3pt. shooter his last year. I just wish he had shot better in the title game against Indiana.

Shout out to the shot mechanic guru's on the board: what is the objection with Braswell's shooting form? I saw a couple posts suggesting he had a "sling shot". But to me, his mechanics look fine. Maybe slightly low on the release. But at 6'9", with his elbow under the ball it'd be hard to block his shot without fouling him. His shot motion is smooth and straight, not jerky or hitchy .. and his R arm is aligned to the ball flight. Not to mention that his handle and court vision appear excellent. He's not beefy, but the athleticism is off the charts -- state high jump champion. Solid background from a military family. I mean, if this kid commits next week (and the analysts seem to think he's Orange), this could be one of the better developmental recruits that fell into our lap at the last minute --- at a position of critical need.

Last edited:
Shout out to the shot mechanic guru's on the board: what is the objection with Braswell's shooting form? I saw a couple posts suggesting he had a "sling shot". But to me, his mechanics look fine. Maybe slightly low on the release. But at 6'9", with his elbow under the ball it'd be hard to block his shot without fouling him. His shot motion is smooth and straight, not jerky or hitchy .. and his arms are aligned to the ball flight. Not to mention that his handle and court vision appear excellent. He's not beefy, but the athleticism is off the charts -- state high jump champion. I mean, if this kid commits this weekend (and the analysts seem to think he's Orange), this could be one of the better recruits to literally fall into our lap at the last minute --- at a position of critical need.

Have you seen his underhanded free throws?

HW was good enough to get multiple alternative d1 offers and commit to Butler originally
I forgot about that ... now I know why they picked up Golden and Battle the Younger ... those sonsabeeches, they want a rock fight, eh?
c557eebf4ac4de0a4cb65b9238f71d29--simpsons-funny-los-simpsons.jpg

I asked a buddy of mine who is an AAU nut and goes to most of the tournaments..I asked him about Bras..he said he is a Southerland clone for us...FWIW

Appears to be a better athlete than Southerland.

I asked a buddy of mine who is an AAU nut and goes to most of the tournaments..I asked him about Bras..he said he is a Southerland clone for us...FWIW
SIGN ME UP

Hard to tell with this kid. Not sure about being a better athlete than Southerland. Southerland looked quicker, less clunky, and gets up faster, etc. Takes way longer to get his shot off. I can see the Southerland long term potential comparison, though. He sort of reminds me of a very poor man’s Lydon, actually. I could see him being a stretch 4 type but it would take time with this kid, IMO. He seems more of a project now but with some upside for sure.

I forgot about that ... now I know why they picked up Golden and Battle the Younger ... those sonsabeeches, they want a rock fight, eh?
c557eebf4ac4de0a4cb65b9238f71d29--simpsons-funny-los-simpsons.jpg

Jordan Tucker too. Almost had Moyer. Could have become the SU Midwest campus.

Shout out to the shot mechanic guru's on the board: what is the objection with Braswell's shooting form? I saw a couple posts suggesting he had a "sling shot". But to me, his mechanics look fine. Maybe slightly low on the release. But at 6'9", with his elbow under the ball it'd be hard to block his shot without fouling him. His shot motion is smooth and straight, not jerky or hitchy .. and his R arm is aligned to the ball flight. Not to mention that his handle and court vision appear excellent. He's not beefy, but the athleticism is off the charts -- state high jump champion. I mean, if this kid commits this weekend (and the analysts seem to think he's Orange), this could be one of the better recruits to literally fall into our lap at the last minute --- at a position of critical need.

His shooting mechanics are good. He does not have a textbook high release point, but it is high enough especially given his wingspan. His form is balanced, fluid and repeatable, even at distance. From his Sr year highlight tape, check out the catch and shoot sequence at about the 1:15 mark. That is an effortless stroke from a couple of steps behind the 3pt line. That didn't happen by accident.

one thing about Anthony Harris, he was a huge Dallas Cowboys fan along with John Wallace
I happened to help Michael Brown (CNS) with his SATs, and spoke with his coach. I asked him why wasn't SU recruiting Michael. He said the staff really liked him, but they felt they had an All American caliber backcourt with Sims and Harris.