Class of 2022 - SG Chance Westry (PA / AZ Compass Prep) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (4/17/23) | Page 61 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 SG Chance Westry (PA / AZ Compass Prep) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (4/17/23)

I think sometimes stuff that is said/shared on here becomes absolutes and people run with that narrative...The whole Chance being Orange if not for his dad thing for example. This might have been the case a year or two ago when he first visited the Dome etc but things do change and it seems like both the kid and his father might be looking elsewhere for other reasons. Maybe he still ends up here (seems doubtful but wouldn't surprise me either) because the kid has always liked Syracuse... but people also forget how big a part the team chemistry plays. Its quite possible that Chance didn't feel as comfortable around a group of guys compared to other schools. Heck, maybe our guys were a bit cold to him knowing they want their local friend JJ to jump aboard and a Chance commitment ruins that. (Take that last part and run with it making it a absolute narrative on here :)) *last part was total bs*
Ah, they probably had Frank Howard do the visit tour then

I think sometimes stuff that is said/shared on here becomes absolutes and people run with that narrative...The whole Chance being Orange if not for his dad thing for example. This might have been the case a year or two ago when he first visited the Dome etc but things do change and it seems like both the kid and his father might be looking elsewhere for other reasons. Maybe he still ends up here (seems doubtful but wouldn't surprise me either) because the kid has always liked Syracuse... but people also forget how big a part the team chemistry plays. Its quite possible that Chance didn't feel as comfortable around a group of guys compared to other schools. Heck, maybe our guys were a bit cold to him knowing they want their local friend JJ to jump aboard and a Chance commitment ruins that. (Take that last part and run with it making it a absolute narrative on here :)) *last part was total bs*
Fair enough. And kids and/or “teams” have their reasons why they do or do not commit, but it’s extremely rare when ALL our most credible insiders agree on the same narrative.
Don’t blame the kid or his family at all, it is what it is.

Last edited:
I take the pair...unless the one guy is a “generational talent.”

Sorry. Had to do it.

you could also read it as chance and Copeland OR chance and JJ.

If you had a choice between Chance or Copeland AND JJ, what would you choose?
Tough call as they’re different players but my order is Chance, JJ and QC because that’s the order of talent right now…maybe not when all is said and done

Soo I’m hearing this one was a no go once he left campus. Still somewhat of a hope from the staff cuz the kid loves us but the “team” isnt all in. I know some of the other insiders are saying else and hope I’m wrong but this one doesnt look likely
So stupid how none of the people playing for the team are the ones making the decision for the person playing for the team

Fair enough. And kids and/or “teams” have their reasons why they do or do not commit, but it’s extremely rare when ALL our most credible insiders agree on the same narrative.
Don’t blame the kid or family at all, it is what it is.
I agree...but that narrative is also old news. At one time a year and half ago after Chance's Dome visit he wanted to be Orange...A lot can change in that time and it has changed. We tend to grasp onto things shared on here and we run with them. Some truth here some truth there...there's also other recruiting insiders outside of our board that felt like Chance goes elsewhere so obviously they hear different things. Please don't take this as me bashing any info given because that's not what this is...just how some things shared turn into tall tales around here when there's more to the story. I think most on here get it but I do see some of the same stuff regurgitated over and over as if that's the absolute truth and that's not the case. It would be pretty fricken awesome if after his LSU visit he commits to us though...man that would be a huge recruiting win.

Did anyone tell Chance's parents about Boeheim's ability to get drafted into the NBA? Does that count for something, or no?

I think parents of players at this level (Top 30 or so) feel for certain that their kid is going to be a pro.

They should spend more time on that part of the decision, rather than how much extra they can get out of it.

you could also read it as chance and Copeland OR chance and JJ.

It feels to me like Copeland is ready, but they are waiting on Chance.

Hopefully we get Justin Taylor tonight, and that starts the other dominoes falling.

It feels to me like Copeland is ready, but they are waiting on Chance.

I would like to know how they do that if a kid like Copeland is ready to commit yet you want him to hold off because you want to wait to see what chance does. How does that conversations go?

"...well, we would like to have you, but we want you to be absolutely sure and not rush it, give it some time, talk to your parents, your HS coaches, your neighbors, your UPS and FEDEX guys...then wait another 96 hours, let the decision marinate, then if you are sure, call us then...it's a big decision, don't rush it" something like that?

Or

"We would like you on this team but you are not a priority, we are waiting on chance to decide before we know if there is a spot for you here..."?

You tell him the truth. You’re next in line after??? Great programs have to do this all the time. This is a unique year where we are involved with so many wing players. Remember, Rodney Gayle chose OSU.

Not going to lie, it would be pretty fricken sweet if Chance leaves the LSU visit and starts thinking about what we are building here and realizes others might take his spot and decides he wants to be orange. Honestly at this point idc who we get next between Quadir/Chance/JJ just give me one of them and Flip or/and DC and we are burning this thing to the ground!

Not going to lie, it would be pretty fricken sweet if Chance leaves the LSU visit and starts thinking about what we are building here and realizes others might take his spot and decides he wants to be orange. Honestly at this point idc who we get next between Quadir/Chance/JJ just give me one of them and Flip or/and DC and we are burning this thing to the ground!
I love Chance, but if he has a mess around him that’s in his ear all the time and has him thinking one and done...I would prefer the guy that is all in on the team, particularly if he is just as good as Chance.

On the basis of skill, I would take Westry over the other two. If I had to choose 2 based on fit, I would take Copeland and Westry. I would be happy if we had anyone of the three.

On the basis of skill, I would take Westry over the other two. If I had to choose 2 based on fit, I would take Copeland and Westry. I would be happy if we had anyone of the three.
Yeah

Copeland and JJ.. Would love Chance as well but I think the other two are more important. It's seems like Chance has a lot more stuff going on regarding his future, and that might be where his head is at if he comes here. I see both Copeland as JJ being here more than one year, so they may focus on their game if they come.