Class of 2022 - SG Chance Westry (PA / AZ Compass Prep) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (4/17/23) | Page 59 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 SG Chance Westry (PA / AZ Compass Prep) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (4/17/23)

Article in this afternoon’s online WSJ about how Nebraska is making NIL revenue opportunities a major part of its athletic recruiting. Likely explains Westry’s visit there.
So we have Nebraska and NIL, LSU and bags o’ plenty, a possible professional offer, and Cuse. What is it that Cuse has (or doesn’t have) that the others do? Not to $ound $keptical, but it $eem$ that Cu$e might be $wimming up$tream.

So we have Nebraska and NIL, LSU and bags o’ plenty, a possible professional offer, and Cuse. What is it that Cuse has (or doesn’t have) that the others do? Not to $ound $keptical, but it $eem$ that Cu$e might be $wimming up$tream.

Proximity to home / family attending games, HOF legendary coach, the largest on campus hoops venue, ACC exposure?

I know that your question was rhetorical. Just listing the "pros" for 'Cuse relative to the other options, which doesn't include $$$.

Proximity to home / family attending games, HOF legendary coach, the largest on campus hoops venue, ACC exposure?

I know that your question was rhetorical. Just listing the "pros" for 'Cuse relative to the other options, which doesn't include $$$.
I know. I’ve thought all along that he’d end up at Cuse. The last couple of days have had me rethinking that position. I’d love for him to come to the 315.

tenor.gif

This is very tricky stuff. My nephew is a very talented dancer/musician who had a few scholarship offers from good universities. But my sister and BIL pushed him to take a full ride at Julliard while in HS. The kid fought it tooth and nail, didn’t wanna leave his friends, etc. but they pushed, he went, and years later will tell you it’s the best decision he ever made.
Chance is a basketball savant & if schools are lining up for his services, and his peeps see a bigger picture, who says they’re not right in pushing him in that direction?
How many childhoods have been sacrificed for decisions that benefited a family, vs an individual?
I’m not gonna judge his father for wanting to maximize his son’s options. Lavar Ball pushed his kids and they’re all getting paid to play, with the youngest in line to be a major nba talent for years to come. Ask Serena or Venus if they’d do it over again, just so they could go to the school of their choice. It’s complicated.
If that is what it is. On the other hand, if it is what is in it for the dad, that is a far different story.

I have seen LSU, and been in their basketball arena. I have to admit I would put them on my list for social, academic and athletic reasons, having said that I still hope he chooses SU.
Just saying LSU would not be a bad choice.
I know nothing about their coaches.

I have seen LSU, and been in their basketball arena. I have to admit I would put them on my list for social, academic and athletic reasons, having said that I still hope he chooses SU.
Academic reasons? Looking for a degree in nutria hunting?

Academic reasons? Looking for a degree in nutria hunting?
Funny, but LSU has very good academics in multiple disciplines. You are showing your own bias not evaluating their academics.
LSU is ranked 70, while Syracuse is 58, however LSU is higher in several of the sciences.

Last edited:
Sounds like his father is making the choice. Given that Auburn (Pearl) and LSU (Wade) were included makes you wonder what the criteria is? Hmmm.

If that is what it is. On the other hand, if it is what is in it for the dad, that is a far different story.
Almost all pushy parents get accused of being in it for themselves, ex; Richard Williams, Lavar Ball, Press Maravich, etc
Danny Manning’s dad got a coaching gig off of his son, as have many others both known and unknown. I think there’s a culture from some parents that they’re gonna cash in from these schools, and not just w/ a scholarship or degree for their child, thought being, “why should everyone else get there’s, but not us”? Chance’s dad maybe in that category, who knows?