Class of 2018 - SG Eric Ayala (DE/IMG) to Maryland | Page 60 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 SG Eric Ayala (DE/IMG) to Maryland

I hope I am wrong. Trust me. I like Thorpe as well... Alot for this team. But as this is the Ayala thread, My main point is that bringing him in is 100% Not recruiting over FH. There is no shot he would start if he chose us. None.

JB is stubborn as a mule and that in part led to Hop peacing out. And FH happens to he on the good side of his stubbornness. Like it or not.

Yeah I agree. Good take. My reasoning is just that Thorpe did play PG a bunch in H.S. FH is another conversion type which has failed so far. We'll just have to see about this when practice starts and, more importantly, when early season tests begin.

Thanks Mrs. Ayala. Happy to be here. I am in the gym daily. I promise.
Extra points for the Mrs. Well in all seriousness, thanks for the info. I for one, and many here, are always appreciative for it, not to mention when it's coming from as close as you say...as long as you're not a reincarnated O13.

Extra points for the Mrs. Well in all seriousness, thanks for the info. I for one, and many here, are always appreciative for it, not to mention when it's coming from as close as you say...as long as you're not a reincarnated O13.
I am not a source. Just on this stuff I am. Hopefully whoever starts it's because they are excelling and not the lesser of two evils.

This could not be more false. I can leave it at that. We are all sU fans so everyone can believe what they want. Not gonna get in to an immature shouting match with a random internet poster. Frank will be starting at PG game 1 this year regardless of who comes in. This is something to bet the house on.

Thorpe 100% will be guaranteed nothing. He won't beat out Howard either. Thorpe will not know the zone well enough. Have u ever watched SU? U do know how JB rolls right?
So Frank Howard is going to get the starting PG spot based on his defense at the top of the zone? It's official I've now heard everything.

You guys are funny and I think jb should be listening to everything red says, he seems to be getting it done period.

This is all pretty valid. I never said FH would play the majority of the minutes. I do know from about as close to the situation as there is that JB plans to roll FH as starting pg next year. Thorpe will not change that. People are making him out to be more than he is. He is a rotational guard who will probably play 20 mins a game. And that's fine.

There is a reason we aren't all over Thorpe and it isn't just Ayala. He's a nice stop gap like gillon was.

If the choice is between Frank and stop gap as the point guard playing the majority of minutes next season, I'm taking stop gap every time.

Whoever can penetrate the opposing d to free up space for Battle/moyer/tt/brissett/sidibe, while maintaining as a 3 point threat should get the lions share of minutes. Fh has an obvious advtantage, due to size only, on D. Whoever facilitates our offense and athleticism best gets my pick. We dont need a volume shooter or hardwood pounder.

What honestly did Howard prove last year that would result in him being a surefire starter at the point next
year? Yep, he got the chance to start, and about midway through the season, I believe the words from JB
after losing to BC were something along the lines of they needed to play the guy that gave them the best chance
to win, which was Gillon.

I get the 5th year guy: instant help. I get the HS guy: you can develop him. I don't get the "Howard is a
guaranteed starter", because SU wouldn't be out chasing grad transfers for the second year in a row if it was
so clear cut. Not gonna sit here and say he can't, because for the team's sake, I'd want him to succeed, but
two years of "meh" is not enough to say he's the best option SU has, regardless of the roster makeup.

Kev

This is all pretty valid. I never said FH would play the majority of the minutes. I do know from about as close to the situation as there is that JB plans to roll FH as starting pg next year. Thorpe will not change that. People are making him out to be more than he is. He is a rotational guard who will probably play 20 mins a game. And that's fine.

There is a reason we aren't all over Thorpe and it isn't just Ayala. He's a nice stop gap like gillon was.
You seem kinda new here to be dressing down other members and insisting you know what JB is going to do months from now. No offense, but who are you/how 'inside' are you?

This is the same conversation we had last year, when I opined JB wasn't bringing in a grad transfer to be Howard's backup. Another established guy here insisted Gillon WAS being brought in to start over the incumbent. Turns out Howard was the starter to begin, and then he played his way out of the role and Gillon was handed the keys. So, maybe the IDEA is to let FH 'try again,' but we just saw how that 'decision' failed. You think after that experience, JB is going to double down on it?

It's a dynamic situation. I don't believe Howard has earned blind trust—and it would be blind without seeing if he has developed further going into next season and before seeing how a Thorpe competes against him. Could be deja vu all over again.

I completely agree with CuseLifer11 that right now JB's plan is to role with Howard as the PG. I think its also why he prefers Ayala. Ayala can backup either guard spot, and gives us insurance in the case of Frank playing like last year. He will be around for at least a couple years and gives us flexibility and depth in the backcourt. That said I think Red likes Thorpe a lot and wants to bring him in.

Right now Frank is the starter once we bring in Ayala or Thorpe and practices start things could change when JB sees all the guys. Yes JB is stubborn and set in his ways but he also likes to win so . . . . if there is a big difference in play and ability he very well may start someone else or have Frank on a super short leash.

On a side note its nice to see both Frank and Mrs. Ayala posting in the thread :p

That's right. Things are set... until things change. Right now, neither Ayala nor Thorpe are in the fold. Until they are, Frank Howard is the starting point guard. Land one of those others, and things might change.

I have been in the Thorpe over Ayala camp for some time now and nothing has really changed my mind. I like Ayala and think he is a good crafty player but he is not explosive and while he would be a good PG I think he would struggle next year and be better year 2. I would prefer Thorpe for next year and Carey for 2018. I will admit that I'm somewhat concerned that if Carey picks Kansas which could very well happen we could be in a good amount of trouble because I don't see a lot of backup options we are considering that are likely to happen. I would like to do something sooner rather than later. If Ayala is not reclassifying which I don't think he will I don't want this to drag out. I would love to sign Thorpe and get him to campus ASAP to start working and getting acclimated with the people already there. I think that is really important and something AW3 missed out on that really cost him.

This cracked me up because posters not being able to understand this concept and voicing displeasure are one of the reasons for a lot of the valuable information that used to be posted regularly going underground.

A huge (some might say THE) source of info being in WA is a huge reason why some people are posting less frequently. Board ridiculousness is another reason.

That's right. Things are set... until things change. Right now, neither Ayala nor Thorpe are in the fold. Until they are, Frank Howard is the starting point guard. Land one of those others, and things might change.
Yep. Agreed. But again, Ayala is not starting over Frank. Maybe Thorpe... maybe. Not ayala. Kid is not a superstar by any means. There is no guarantee he is even better than Howard W.

Jimmy B was set to roll his 3 guards and then Tucker split. Now we need a 10th body and guards are all that r left.

You seem kinda new here to be dressing down other members and insisting you know what JB is going to do months from now. No offense, but who are you/how 'inside' are you?

This is the same conversation we had last year, when I opined JB wasn't bringing in a grad transfer to be Howard's backup. Another established guy here insisted Gillon WAS being brought in to start over the incumbent. Turns out Howard was the starter to begin, and then he played his way out of the role and Gillon was handed the keys. So, maybe the IDEA is to let FH 'try again,' but we just saw how that 'decision' failed. You think after that experience, JB is going to double down on it?

It's a dynamic situation. I don't believe Howard has earned blind trust—and it would be blind without seeing if he has developed further going into next season and before seeing how a Thorpe competes against him. Could be deja vu all over again.
I am not dressing down anyone. This is a sports forum. All in good fun. I bkees Orange like we all do.

I'm not an inside source. I know a few things here and there. But Yes, JB will 100% double down with FH this year.

I hope FH doesn't start but he's going to. Thorpe and OB are going to be our bench guys. Everyone else who knows.

(Yes I think Moyer and Marek win the 3 and 4 job)

A huge (some might say THE) source of info being in WA is a huge reason why some people are posting less frequently. Board ridiculousness is another reason.

Yep, that is why I said one of. It just cracked me up reading that line as I can never figure out what is so hard to understand about that concept.

I am not dressing down anyone. This is a sports forum. All in good fun. I bkees Orange like we all do.

I'm not an inside source. I know a few things here and there. But Yes, JB will 100% double down with FH this year.

I hope FH doesn't start but he's going to. Thorpe and OB are going to be our bench guys. Everyone else who knows.

(Yes I think Moyer and Marek win the 3 and 4 job)

Now I have to figure out how to bkees orange to keep up with the rest of you fans. :confused:

That forward situation is really interesting. I think in the end it doesn't matter a whole lot who comes off the bench as I expect all three to be productive and any of the two should be able to play together. Moyer has program experience going for him. Brissett looks the most fluid athletically. Solejaz seems to have the best SF skills.

Yep. Agreed. But again, Ayala is not starting over Frank. Maybe Thorpe... maybe. Not ayala. Kid is not a superstar by any means. There is no guarantee he is even better than Howard W.

Jimmy B was set to roll his 3 guards and then Tucker split. Now we need a 10th body and guards are all that r left.

I've been one of Frank Howard's top supporters since he committed. Would love to see him bounce back -- nothing would be better for the team. That said, I have my doubts that he will become an appreciably better player than what he's shown thus far -- good in small doses, but normalized production regressing to his averages when he plays extended minutes.

Hope he proves me wrong.

So, as the roster stands right now, he is the prohibitive favorite to be the starting point guard. But if he can't provide consistent shooting / scoring [to say nothing of playmaking], then we're going to be offensively challenged all year long. A guy like Thorpe who is a double figure scorer -- and I believe that you are significantly underselling his capabilities above -- brings a lot more to the offense on paper than Frank. Especially since he has starting PG experience and should be at least a good enough to work in tandem with Battle, another versatile guard.

Now, hopefully Frank comes back and puts the shooting / scoring questions to bed. But if he doesn't, then I'd prefer to see what a player like Thorpe could do in that role.

So fantasy island is calling to the "board insiders"...what percentage would you put on Thorpe being offered and accepting somewhat soon causing #1 to exit via transfer opening up another spot for Ayala to sign on the dotted line come August? Can't imagine FH would be happy with them bringing in Thorpe so it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility. I say there is a <10% chance of this happening. Typically I would say <1% but some crazy stuff has gone down with the program since the last game

We are at 60 pages on this thread. The number of pages we are on the day he decides I'll arbitrarily put at 70. Given that I'll take the under cause I'm an optimist

We are at 60 pages on this thread. The number of pages we are on the day he decides I'll arbitrarily put at 70. Given that I'll take the under cause I'm an optimist
By the end of July?? Pfff...I say 95

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom