Class of 2018 - SG Eric Ayala (DE/IMG) to Maryland | Page 53 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 SG Eric Ayala (DE/IMG) to Maryland

1. Highly questionable that Ayala is a star automatic impact player.
2. From his various interviews, there is nothing he has said that makes me think he wants to attend SU. His earlier comments about not wanting to deal with uncertainty in a coaching situation is a red flag.
3. If I'm him...I'm not re-classing to go to SU in 2017 and back-up Frank Howard. I'd wait for a situation where I can start.

If we're not offering Thorpe waiting for him...ugh.

As of today even if you want Ayala schedule a visit with Thorpe and make sure that info is out there. Ayala can commit whenever he wants or not. Thorpe will come here if we get him on campus. :noidea:

Give me Thorpe, get Dolezaj, call it a day and move on to 2018. That's my wish.

It would seem logical that, that should be the plan, so hopefully Jim was right in that we have offered Thorpe. Others say no.

I'm in the camp that Thorpe is better for next year, and would like to save a scholarship for the abundance of talent in 2018. I guess this will be over eventually. Who knows if I live to see that day.

Also, about Marek. Like you said in another post, he has that ability like a lot of our great forwards to run with the ball. We have our success when a forward can rebound, and run. It's been too long where we get a rebound, then have to find a guard, and setup our struggling half court offense.

Thorpe, and Marek would have the Dome rocking, along with the rest of the crew. Personally, I want Thorpe over Ayala 100 percent. JB, who knows.

This is getting tiresome talking in circles. I think I have repeated myself close to 100 times at this point.

It would seem logical that, that should be the plan, so hopefully Jim was right in that we have offered Thorpe. Others say no.

I'm in the camp that Thorpe is better for next year, and would like to save a scholarship for the abundance of talent in 2018. I guess this will be over eventually. Who knows if I live to see that day.

Also, about Marek. Like you said in another post, he has that ability like a lot of our great forwards to run with the ball. We have our success when a forward can rebound, and run. It's been too long where we get a rebound, then have to find a guard, and setup our struggling half court offense.

Thorpe, and Marek would have the Dome rocking, along with the rest of the crew. Personally, I want Thorpe over Ayala 100 percent. JB, who knows.

This is getting tiresome talking in circles. I think I have repeated myself close to 100 times at this point.
Just want to say although you have repeated yourself I am totally in agreement and with any luck this will be the end result. Keep chanting the chant and maybe they will hear us

Yes it is.
Again, one cannot just graduate early for athletic reasons. If he was a genius and tested out of some high school credits to graduate early then I'd be on board with what you are saying. He would not be eligible to graduate this year if he didn't have the required credits and tests to do so. His decision is another year of prep or graduate and I'm sure he's been thinking about it for a very long time and this isn't a last second thing.

I realize this post is extremely premature, but just for hypothetical sake, let's say we land Marek Dolezaj and Eric Ayala to round out the class in 2017. That would give us seven players (Dolezaj, Ayala, Moyer, Hughes, Brissett, Sidibe, Washington) who would graduate after the 2020-21 season barring NBA departures, transfers, etc.

I think most, if not all of those guys are 4 year players which is good since we definitely need some program players. But let's not forget that other teams used Boeheim's age against us in recruiting the last few seasons. What happens in 2020-21 when Boeheim turns 76 and we have a potential 7 player class to fill? We thought filling out a 5 player class this year was tough. It's only going to be harder four years from now when we probably won't have the option to extend JB unless he wants to coach until he's 80+.

And what if we get Buddy next year and JB plans to retire after Buddy graduates in 2021-22? That means JB will be responsible for bringing in a seven man class in 2020-21 with everyone and their mother knowing that Boeheim is going to retire after the 2021 class' freshman year of college. That's going to be a tough sell job to recruits to have them come in under Boeheim for one season without knowing who their coach will be for the following three years.

As much as Ayala would be nice to have for next year, this is yet another reason that I'd rather roll with Thorpe for one year. Getting Thorpe would also allow us to have a 3 or 4 player class in 2018.

I realize this post is extremely premature, but just for hypothetical sake, let's say we land Marek Dolezaj and Eric Ayala to round out the class in 2017. That would give us seven players (Dolezaj, Ayala, Moyer, Hughes, Brissett, Sidibe, Washington) who would graduate after the 2020-21 season barring NBA departures, transfers, etc.

I think most, if not all of those guys are 4 year players which is good since we definitely need some program players. But let's not forget that other teams used Boeheim's age against us in recruiting the last few seasons. What happens in 2020-21 when Boeheim turns 76 and we have a potential 7 player class to fill? We thought filling out a 5 player class this year was tough. It's only going to be harder four years from now when we probably won't have the option to extend JB unless he wants to coach until he's 80+.

And what if we get Buddy next year and JB plans to retire after Buddy graduates in 2021-22? That means JB will be responsible for bringing in a seven man class in 2020-21 with everyone and their mother knowing that Boeheim is going to retire after the 2021 class' freshman year of college. That's going to be a tough sell job to recruits to have them come in under Boeheim for one season without knowing who their coach will be for the following three years.

As much as Ayala would be nice to have for next year, this is yet another reason that I'd rather roll with Thorpe for one year. Getting Thorpe would also allow us to have a 3 or 4 player class in 2018.
Interesting take; but we have bigger fish to fry than concerns about the '20-'21 season...

Certainly a good thought. The reality usually works out that many unforeseen things will happen that will cause it not to be a 7 person class in that year though. Players leaving for the NBA, transfers, failed qualifiers, redshirts, etc. We've seen all of it happen and I would guess at least 2 and maybe more of the players you mention will have one or more of things happen in their career.

The overall point you are making remains true though, and probably for sooner than 2021: which is you can always scare a teenager by talking about relying on an old person. It's not completely unfounded of course, but I'm not sure what can be done about it other than the kid personally seeing and conversing with Boeheim and seeing he is not some senile old man on the verge of collapse. For that to happen, he will need to be a little more personally involved in recruiting than he has been in the past few years though.

Great question. Doubt anyone has the answer. I'm just trying to make it to 2018. Damn, even make it through today.

With two or three of those seven leaving early, I think it will be more like a four or five person class. And it's not a big deal if one of those scholarships isn't filled.

It's a lot of hassle to do what he did to get eligible for 2017. One would think he didn't do it for no reason
Not really. Any motivated student could graduate in 3 years in most states. Taking SAT/ ACT early is strategic, especially now that scores can be stacked.
If the kid had

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom