Class of 2018 - SG Eric Ayala (DE/IMG) to Maryland | Page 54 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 SG Eric Ayala (DE/IMG) to Maryland

This is from a Hoosier site, but there are some pretty good quotes from Eric's coach...

"Eric changes his mind like the weather. Sometimes he tells me that he’s definitely coming back. Then he’s going the next day. He doesn’t know right now. If it was up to me, I’d say come back, come back. But Eric is a really smart kid. He’ll make the right (decision)."

"He is a 6-5 point guard, plain and simple. We have had some talented players here, but he is the best kid at getting to the rim and scoring. He is just so crafty and quick. He will just overpower you getting to the rim. He’s not super explosive and won’t dunk over you. He has that old man’s game to him. He is just a big, strong point guard who can score from all three levels."

“Even though he’s a combo now, he will be a point at the next level. He is a special player when he has the ball in his hands.”

Speaking on his D... "It’s OK. It has gotten better, but it needs improvement still. He has a high IQ when he’s on the floor. And on defense, he is at the right spot on the floor and reads passes. He just has to keep working on it. I wish I could say he was our best defender, but he wasn’t."

FYI: He officially graduates on Wednesday.

For better or worse, Ayala's coach definitely sounds honest. I believe that Eric doesn't know what he wants to do yet. Makes it tougher for JB and staff, but the kid has to make whatever decision is best for him. Hopefully Thorpe's number is on speed dial incase Ayala decides to stay in 2018.

For better or worse, Ayala's coach definitely sounds honest. I believe that Eric doesn't know what he wants to do yet. Makes it tougher for JB and staff, but the kid has to make whatever decision is best for him. Hopefully Thorpe's number is on speed dial incase Ayala decides to stay in 2018.
I think it's more of his AAU coaches if anything.

His coach at Putnam (who was being interviewed) is a straight shooter in my opinion. It is the other voices involved with his AAU squad that are in his ear...

Oh I agree with you - but if certain people in his circle think it could come, maybe he'll wait.
Especially when it looks like one of those people in his circle is on the UK payroll.

Oh I agree with you - but if certain people in his circle think it could come, maybe he'll wait.
To me that is the problem. I really think EA wants to come to SU now but getting bad advice. He's got a great chance her to get a lot of minutes and maybe win the starting pg position if franks screws up like last year. I think I read in some threads further back his game is a little like billy Edelin but with a better outside shot.

To me that is the problem. I really think EA wants to come to SU now but getting bad advice. He's got a great chance her to get a lot of minutes and maybe win the starting pg position if franks screws up like last year. I think I read in some threads further back his game is a little like billy Edelin but with a better outside shot.
Hami Diallo leaving PSA helped him tremendously. He became the alpha and was also the PG. Would love him this year - he'd get the keys in 2018.

I found this on the UCONN message board... interesting take from a guy who claims to have seen Eric Ayala play three times:

"Ayala is overrated and not worth a scholarship at the guard spot. He is a junkyard type of player and that's not what we need as a shooting guard."

Anybody have an opinion on this view? I like Ayala, but I'm not convinced he's that much better than Thorpe.

I like Ayala, but I'm not convinced he's that much better than Thorpe.
He's definitely not better than Thorpe, but that's not the point.

I found this on the UCONN message board... interesting take from a guy who claims to have seen Eric Ayala play three times:

"Ayala is overrated and not worth a scholarship at the guard spot. He is a junkyard type of player and that's not what we need as a shooting guard."

Anybody have an opinion on this view? I like Ayala, but I'm not convinced he's that much better than Thorpe.

I saw him play this past winter and had more detailed thoughts in a past post but I wouldn't really expect him to be the impact guy his first year or two in college some on here may have been hoping.

Yeah I wouldn't put too much stock into a person who's school got eliminated by this kid a long time ago. If UConn was in the running for this kid I'd be surprised if he said that. This is from aschool who had half their roster leave in the last 2 months and haven't replaced them with anyone except JUCO transfers and 2/3 star big men. They wouldn't "waste a scholarship" on a 4 star combo guard who lives in CT? They can't even get people to go there.

Some of the guys over there also thought Brimah was a lottery pick and the best player on a team that had Jalen Adams.

Why is the staff so enamored with EA?

I think because of the limited options available for guards in 2017 in their evaluations they think he is the best one that fits what they're trying to do and they're probably right. He checks a lot of boxes in that he has good size, will probably be around 4 years to provide some stability like others in the class, will be able to play both on and off the ball and by all accounts seems like a really good kid.

He's a good player and IMO will be your standard program type combo guard who is a nice contributor as an upperclassmen for wherever he ends up. I just don't really see him being a guy who moves the needle much if he's on the roster in October of 2017 and not sure if he's a starter on a top 25 team in October of 2018 but will be able to give good minutes off the bench. As he gets older he'll be really good though.

If I'm Ayala I don't see the draw to reclass to 2017 to be honest. I don't think he's a one and done candidate so starting the clock on becoming draft eligible isn't much of an issue which is why some of these kids do it but maybe he just wants to get to college? I feel like having fun traveling around with your friends playing in high level basketball tournaments each weekend and just being a kid in high/prep school isn't really a bad thing to try and get away from.

I think because of the limited options available for guards in 2017 in their evaluations they think he is the best one that fits what they're trying to do and they're probably right. He checks a lot of boxes in that he has good size, will probably be around 4 years to provide some stability like others in the class, will be able to play both on and off the ball and by all accounts seems like a really good kid.

He's a good player and IMO will be your standard program type combo guard who is a nice contributor as an upperclassmen for wherever he ends up. I just don't really see him being a guy who moves the needle much if he's on the roster in October of 2017 and not sure if he's a starter on a top 25 team in October of 2018 but will be able to give good minutes off the bench. As he gets older he'll be really good though.

If I'm Ayala I don't see the draw to reclass to 2017 to be honest. I don't think he's a one and done candidate so starting the clock on becoming draft eligible isn't much of an issue which is why some of these kids do it but maybe he just wants to get to college? I feel like having fun traveling around with your friends playing in high level basketball tournaments each weekend and just being a kid in high/prep school isn't really a bad thing to try and get away from.

If his goal is the NBA, these two things are point-counterpoint. If he wants to get to the league, I'm guessing he would like to be as young as possible..

If his goal is the NBA, these two things are point-counterpoint. If he wants to get to the league, I'm guessing he would like to be as young as possible..
Sorry to say I don't think he really wants us. We have set the table perfectly for him and you would think he'd be all over it .

Sorry to say I don't think he really wants us. We have set the table perfectly for him and you would think he'd be all over it .
I agree...I'm sure his plan is to eventually get to the NBA. Why would you pass up a shot, to get to a team, with plenty of national exposure, sooner rather than later? It doesn't make much sense.

Think you are wrong on that. It's more of his AAU coach's who are putting things in his ear.
Just my opinion but I believe there are more desirable guards in 2018 we have offered that I would absolutely prefer and if he doesn't come 2017 I'd like to move beyond him

He definitely would like to be as young as possible when he goes to the league but interest needs to be reciprocated as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom