Class of 2018 - SG Eric Ayala (DE/IMG) to Maryland | Page 55 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 SG Eric Ayala (DE/IMG) to Maryland

He definitely would like to be as young as possible when he goes to the league but interest needs to be reciprocated as well.
Yeah, I'm agreeing with you. The scenario would be good for him in the long run, but the fact that he hasn't jumped at the opportunity really should show what his interest level is with Cuse.

Forget the reports he hasn't committed and has had ample opportunity to. I'd be thrilled to have Ayala and I'd feel much more comfortable about our guard situation this year. That said I think Thorpe could be a bigger contributor this year and it gives us another ship in 2018.
I don't think we can say that for sure until AAU ball is done for the summer.

Forget the reports he hasn't committed and has had ample opportunity to. I'd be thrilled to have Ayala and I'd feel much more comfortable about our guard situation this year. That said I think Thorpe could be a bigger contributor this year and it gives us another ship in 2018.

I agree with this, we def need another guard this year and time is running out on EA to commit for 2017, id persoanlly think the staff has more info on his situation/timeline so i think well see some news in the coming weeks regardless.

Have we not learned from the QG mess? Lets move on
Not quite an oranges to oranges comparison. In this case, we know when Ayala is going to make his final decision and we have a Plan B in place who appears to be willing to wait it out. I think Thorpe will give a heads up if he's getting antsy. Until that happens, we need to be patient as well.

I can say for sure that he is not committed to SU. I get what you are saying but the point of my post was that Thorpe is likely a bigger contributor out of the gate than Ayala so why wait that long and risk not having either?

Not quite an oranges to oranges comparison. In this case, we know when Ayala is going to make his final decision and we have a Plan B in place who appears to be willing to wait it out. I think Thorpe will give a heads up if he's getting antsy. Until that happens, we need to be patient as well.

I do not think Thorpe will wait an undetermined amount of time for Ayala to figure out what he's doing. He remains uncommitted to Pitt due to communications with the SU staff but that doesn't mean it won't change as time passes.

I can say for sure that he is not committed to SU. I get what you are saying but the point of my post was that Thorpe is likely a bigger contributor out of the gate than Ayala so why wait that long and risk not having either?
Oh, I agree that Thorpe is a better player for 2017-18 and I would take him over Ayala in a heartbeat. I guess the staff doesn't believe there's a risk of losing both at this point.

I do not think Thorpe will wait an undetermined amount of time for Ayala to figure out what he's doing. He remains uncommitted to Pitt due to communications with the SU staff but that doesn't mean it won't change as time passes.
I agree with this as well. Still, I don't think he'll commit to Pitt without contacting the SU staff first.

Agree, get him on campus soon. If things go well and he sees what he likes you take his commitment. Need to wrap up 17 class and then can move on to 18. Also allows the staff to know what they are finally working this coming season.

Agree, get him on campus soon. If things go well and he sees what he likes you take his commitment. Need to wrap up 17 class and then can move on to 18. Also allows the staff to know what they are finally working this coming season.

I couldn't agree more about the importance of being done with the 2017 class!!! At this point the staff should be concentrating all efforts on 2018 and this coming season not trying to smoke out a kid who has been described as fickle and has too many voices in his ear.

Yet we're happy with TT. They sign and we get over it. They sign elsewhere and we get over it.

I couldn't agree more about the importance of being done with the 2017 class!!! At this point the staff should be concentrating all efforts on 2018 and this coming season not trying to smoke out a kid who has been described as fickle and has too many voices in his ear.
I'm sure the coaches agree 100%. The entire recruiting games has evolved into a big FU. And I don't mean Felix Unger.

I am usually in favor of taking the better long term player... but in this case between Thorpe and Ayala I think we need to go with who helps us the most THIS season. We are at an important juncture as a program. A solid NCAA tournament team keeps as as a near elite level program and puts us in good shape going forward. Another NIT season and the narrative becomes a declining program with an aging coach that can't seal top recruits anymore. I believe Thorpe is better for us right now... and there's a good chance we can get someone for '18 who is better than either with the extra scholarship. The staff seems to disagree and want to wait on Ayala. I really hope that isn't a mistake.

The whole point of AAU ball is to give kids a stage to showcase their ability so they can attract a big time college offer. So putting a big time program off who wants you badly because you want to play AAU ball never made any sense to me. The entire scenario with Ayala smells IMO. I'd sign Thorpe.

The whole point of AAU ball is to give kids a stage to showcase their ability so they can attract a big time college offer. So putting a big time program off who wants you badly because you want to play AAU ball never made any sense to me. The entire scenario with Ayala smells IMO. I'd sign Thorpe.
Jontay Porter committed to Mizzou, but he hasn't decided on reclassifying yet and won't make a final call until after the Peach Jam. Some are wondering why Ayala hasn't done the same with SU, and part of it appears to be that the staff is less interested in bringing him on in 2018 (like Sid Wilson in 2017). That said, I think most of the stink has to do with Ayala's AAU coach. You could argue that JB is enabling that.

I think most of us would prefer Thorpe. At the same time, we recognize he's the short term solution, while Ayala is the long term solution. JB is placing a higher priority on the latter. I don't consider this an issue until Thorpe says so.

The point of AAU is to play against higher end competition and improve, as much as it is a showcase.

Plus we may only have 2-3 scholarships available for 2018. I'd rather focus on getting higher ceiling players. Ayala isn't even ranked all that high for 2018. Of course he would be a good addition, but I'd rather have an instant-impact Thorpe THIS YEAR for all the reasons people have stated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom