Class of 2021 - SG Lucas Taylor (NC) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (6/4/24) | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2021 SG Lucas Taylor (NC) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (6/4/24)

He wasn’t looking to join a team with 5 or 6 open spots - wants an opportunity at a high major level and playing in ACC again also noted he likes that there is depth and a lot of good players already at Guard and noted the fact everyone is a bit different in what they bring.
Those sound like legit reasons. Cool.

The Yankees used to win World series, but ever since Cashman went to all these stat sheets a great franchise has won nothing.
You still have to have a feel for the game and put players in position to succeed.

I absolutely agree with that. My point is more that a guy hitting .225 on a large enough sample size is a .225 hitter.

Well, have you actually watched the guy play (and I don’t mean highlight reels). Most of the professional analysts have better contacts than most of the posters here, so I’m more inclined to accept their analysis than yours.
1) I never did nor claimed to make any analysis of this player. Questioning if a Rivals analyst watched him play and putting out hypotheticals where stats don't tell all of the story isn't me analyzing this player one way or the other.

2) I'm not the one making a living as a recruiting analyst, which if you're going to analyze players it should be based on more than just looking at a stat sheet.

Well, have you actually watched the guy play (and I don’t mean highlight reels). Most of the professional analysts have better contacts than most of the posters here, so I’m more inclined to accept their analysis than yours.
Note that you never see the "have you ever seen him play" posts when someone posts a positive stat about an incoming player?

The Yankees used to win World series, but ever since Cashman went to all these stat sheets a great franchise has won nothing.
You still have to have a feel for the game and put players in position to succeed.
Yeah, but the teams they are losing to, they use the advanced metrics. The Giants and the Red Sox have used it as much as anyone and they have won 7 WS since the start of this century.

Yeah, but the teams they are losing to, they use the advanced metrics. The Giants and the Red Sox have used it as much as anyone and they have won 7 WS since the start of this century.
Astros and Dodgers as well...

Saw this recent interview with Cuban about Ayton vs Luka:

“Then we started really paying attention. Our scouts liked him, our analytics guys loved him… They (the scouts) had (Deandre) Ayton number one. Our numbers guys were like, ‘this is the only superstar in the draft.'”

When your eye test guys had Ayton over Luka and your number guys said Luka is a sure thing...I think it's at least worth listening to the number guys once in awhile.

“Then we started really paying attention. Our scouts liked him, our analytics guys loved him… They (the scouts) had (Deandre) Ayton number one. Our numbers guys were like, ‘this is the only superstar in the draft.'”

When your eye test guys had Ayton over Luka and your number guys said Luka is a sure thing...I think it's at least worth listening to the number guys once in awhile.

Interesting and I don’t think anyone’s point makes the case for not taking metrics as a major component of analysis… but gotta say though who was watching them both and saying Ayton passed the eye test over Luka even then?

Interesting and I don’t think anyone’s point makes the case for not taking metrics as a major component of analysis… but gotta say though who was watching them both and saying Ayton passed the eye test over Luka even then?
Their scouts per Cuban.

I have a friend who watches a lot of college ball as I do, and your post reminds me of he and I arguing about whether Boston should take Tatum over Josh Jackson. My friend loved Jackson far above Tatum and I was flabbergasted. With the eye test, the only thing that I saw Josh had over Tatum was athleticism, but Tatum had an unmatched ready to go skill set. I think it was JJ Redick who said some guys just have the look as if they can play.

Last edited:
He wasn’t looking to join a team with 5 or 6 open spots - wants an opportunity at a high major level and playing in ACC again also noted he likes that there is depth and a lot of good players already at Guard and noted the fact everyone is a bit different in what they bring.
so he wants to WIN. that's awesome

- not super familiar with his game, but after watching his highlights and choppa's...they are verrry similar shooters from the outside, imo...35% from 3 is good. i think it'll be good for them to practice with each other.

- hopefully he can keep the swag going now that he wont be the #1 option this year/this team

- so the roster is still light on good finishers at the rim? hopefully whomever is the 3rd center (or if they bring another big) thats a strength of that player

- i feel like this team is 100% a tourney team...and not on the bubble, either...(I almost always think they will make the tourney like every year haha BUT this time I will be right haha)

- with all the depth, red's gotta keep everyone happy and do a good job of playing the right players at the right times...thats going to be tricky and he didnt excel at that his first year, imo

- someone earlier said the turnover machines got the door...seems accurate...and i'm glad.

all of these guys are team players and know how to play team basketball...I'm excited for this roster...I think it will surprise people

still would like another tall player or two for the end of the bench (like taller than 6' 9)

No different than some of the debates had here about Maliq Brown and JJ Starling regarding analytics vs eye test.

Starling Cuffe Moore Westry Taylor Carlos are all slightly different players. Autry is giving himself lineup flexibility and versatility to play matchups and the hot hand.
Terrific post. Throw in Chris Bell and you have:
  • 2 or more shooters in the Bunch (pun intended, ducks!) in Bell, Taylor etc.
  • 3 or more lead guards, or at the very least, can get the ball into the frontcourt in JJ, Carlos, Westry.
  • 2 or more playmakers and passers in Carlos and Westry.
  • 2 or more scorers. I just want to start the list with Moore. I think he's going to be special. Not sure if it's this year but he has that potential. Taylor could be another and Cuffe could expand his role, JJ etc.
  • Not many rebounders :)

You need more than one shooter to keep the defense on their toes. Bell, Taylor and Moore and the improving Starling are our shooters. We just need at least 2 to be hot on any given day.

1) I never did nor claimed to make any analysis of this player. Questioning if a Rivals analyst watched him play and putting out hypotheticals where stats don't tell all of the story isn't me analyzing this player one way or the other.

2) I'm not the one making a living as a recruiting analyst, which if you're going to analyze players it should be based on more than just looking at a stat sheet.
But you don’t know. Maybe he has seen him play, or discussed his game with coaches who have. You simply make assumptions, same as you claim he does.

Luka was the most obvious recent Euro superstar to enter the draft because he dominated the best Euro league there was at the time his pre draft year vs adults. Most of the guys projected in the lottery are crapshoots who mostly play against guys their age and maybe get garbage minutes vs the grown men or play in a country without a high end pro league. I think he played a key role for Real Madrid for 2 years before the Mavs took him anyone who didn't know he was the real thing is a fool he was supposed to be #1 in that draft a year out but slipped a little when they obsessed over the athleticism.

I think Vlade Divac still has a job despite passing on him and also being Serbian.

Luka was the most obvious recent Euro superstar to enter the draft because he dominated the best Euro league there was at the time his pre draft year vs adults. Most of the guys projected in the lottery are crapshoots who mostly play against guys their age and maybe get garbage minutes vs the grown men or play in a country without a high end pro league. I think he played a key role for Real Madrid for 2 years before the Mavs took him anyone who didn't know he was the real thing is a fool he was supposed to be #1 in that draft a year out but slipped a little when they obsessed over the athleticism.

I think Vlade Divac still has a job despite passing on him and also being Serbian.
Luka was the Euro league MVP!

l
But you don’t know. Maybe he has seen him play, or discussed his game with coaches who have. You simply make assumptions, same as you claim he does.
Maybe he has, maybe he hasn’t. That’s why I asked the question since his entire analysis was stat based. And all I got after that was the stat geek inquisition.

If you go back to my original post, what was it? A simple question as to whether the Rivals analyst has seen him play because his entire analysis was stat based. Everything that came after that was in response to those saying that effectively stats tell everything.

l

Maybe he has, maybe he hasn’t. That’s why I asked the question since his entire analysis was stat based. And all I got after that was the stat geek inquisition.

If you go back to my original post, what was it? A simple question as to whether the Rivals analyst has seen him play because his entire analysis was stat based. Everything that came after that was in response to those saying that effectively stats tell everything.
Well, to be fair, stats are what most analysts quote because only true bball geeks have any idea what the various metric acronyms even mean. But even a casual fan understands things like ppg, rpg, assists, shooting %. Seems likely to me that a guy who makes his living analyzing college ball has likely seen more, and has better contacts he can consult about, players than guys on this board. Fan boards, after all, are full of guys convinced they know more than coaches, scouts, and analysts because they saw a highlight reel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom