Class of 2021 - SG Lucas Taylor (NC) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (6/4/24) | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2021 SG Lucas Taylor (NC) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (6/4/24)

I feel like this type of thinking leads to having 6.5/7.5 man rotations. And we will also hear how this kid or that kid isn't good enough to bring in. I want the staff to have 12 guys who all have a chance to contribute and let it sort itself out. You want to take a flyer on 1 guy or leave a spot open for a late addition fine but please fill the other 12 spots.

I like Taylor as an add at this point. He can do a bunch of things, has good size for a guard and has experience. I think he gives us more options for 3 guard lineups. Its depth at the wing positions. If he pushes other guys to do better great! If Moore can't get minutes because Taylor is killing it . . . . isn't that good? If Moore can't get minutes and Taylor is just OK then perhaps Moore needs a season to develop.
Absolutely, competition makes them all better. I agree with you, 12 guys that are ready and number 13 can be a developmental big. It isn't reasonable to play 12 guys regularly in a rotation, but the players need to know that they have control of their playing time. Let the best players play.

Last edited:
I feel like this type of thinking leads to having 6.5/7.5 man rotations. And we will also hear how this kid or that kid isn't good enough to bring in. I want the staff to have 12 guys who all have a chance to contribute and let it sort itself out. You want to take a flyer on 1 guy or leave a spot open for a late addition fine but please fill the other 12 spots.

I like Taylor as an add at this point. He can do a bunch of things, has good size for a guard and has experience. I think he gives us more options for 3 guard lineups. Its depth at the wing positions. If he pushes other guys to do better great! If Moore can't get minutes because Taylor is killing it . . . . isn't that good? If Moore can't get minutes and Taylor is just OK then perhaps Moore needs a season to develop.
You're not wrong, but not many top 100 kids these days are on board to stay another season to "develop".

Such a tough spot for coaches these days. I'd imagine you have to triple down on scouting because a recruiting miss via highschool or the portal is so detrimental these days.

After re-viewing this guy’s reel, I kinda wonder what Kyle Cuffe would have done if he played at GaSt in Taylor’s role. Is this guy supposed to be depth to hedge against Westry’s health, or in the rotation ahead of Cuffe and suppressing Moore? I get that a gathering of talent is a nice objective but that can also manifest as negatives if the formula isn’t right.

Background context is that he played at WF and didn't play much, transferred to Georgia State and did better -- but transferring back "up" a level brings question marks.

He's a shooter, and we need more guys who can shoot. I think that's the role.

Cuffe to me is PG sized, but didn't demonstrate much lead guard aptitude. He's like a short SG. But he was also coming off [basically] three years of not playing much due to COVID shutdowns and then collegiate injuries, so maybe last year was more about just knocking off ring rust and getting acclimated to high major college competition. Maybe he shows expanded playmaking capabilities this year, now that he has his sea legs -- but I kind of expect him to be more of a microwave guy who also gets after people defensively, more than a guy we bring in primarily to run the offense. Might not matter that much with others who can handle the ball / initiate the offense like Westry, JJ [to a lesser extent], etc.

Plus, Taylor doesn't take up a roster spot for long. But it could impact someone like Moore, no question. And that's not to say that Moore won't prove to be a "better" player / option than Taylor.

But on the basis of shooting potential alone, I'd rather add Taylor than not, and let the rest sort itself out on the practice court.

Background context is that he played at WF and didn't play much, transferred to Georgia State and did better -- but transferring back "up" a level brings question marks.

He's a shooter, and we need more guys who can shoot. I think that's the role.

Cuffe to me is PG sized, but didn't demonstrate much lead guard aptitude. He's like a short SG. But he was also coming off [basically] three years of not playing much due to COVID shutdowns and then collegiate injuries, so maybe last year was more about just knocking off ring rust and getting acclimated to high major college competition. Maybe he shows expanded playmaking capabilities this year, now that he has his sea legs -- but I kind of expect him to be more of a microwave guy who also gets after people defensively, more than a guy we bring in primarily to run the offense. Might not matter that much with others who can handle the ball / initiate the offense like Westry, JJ [to a lesser extent], etc.

Plus, Taylor doesn't take up a roster spot for long. But it could impact someone like Moore, no question. And that's not to say that Moore won't prove to be a "better" player / option than Taylor.

But on the basis of shooting potential alone, I'd rather add Taylor than not, and let the rest sort itself out on the practice court.
Yup, we could have used more shooting last season. He provides that.

Yup, we could have used more shooting last season. He provides that.

Apparently based on someone who watched him this year he handled spot PG duties for small stretches and did ok too forget who posted that but it’s in this thread. So just another player who can help with ball handling when needed and is a capable passer vs a black hole. Plus the shooting skillset obviously.

After re-viewing this guy’s reel, I kinda wonder what Kyle Cuffe would have done if he played at GaSt in Taylor’s role. Is this guy supposed to be depth to hedge against Westry’s health, or in the rotation ahead of Cuffe and suppressing Moore? I get that a gathering of talent is a nice objective but that can also manifest as negatives if the formula isn’t right.
One thing I have learned in my decades of watching sports is you can never have too much depth. Injuries happen, problems with school and /or maturity happen. (I am looking at you Benne and Cope). Gather the players, let them compete and earn paying time. Those that aren't happy will leave those that are happy but are offered a bigger bag may leave,

One thing I have learned in my decades of watching sports is you can never have too much depth. Injuries happen, problems with school and /or maturity happen. (I am looking at you Benne and Cope). Gather the players, let them compete and earn paying time. Those that aren't happy will leave those that are happy but are offered a bigger bag may leave,
chemistry is important. wanna avoid any in-fighting and "disgruntlement" at all costs

but ...that kinda thing should be able to be screened for in the recruitment phase...right?

as long as the coaches are upfront with the players while building the roster that the strategy will be to get as much talent as possible onboard and let it sort itself out in the season, it should be all good...

players should come in to the situation knowing the deal...and if they do, they have to be cool with it

as much as there are a lot of players who would avoid a loaded roster...i think there are also a lot of players who genuinely do want to win and will be glad to go to a loaded roster by choice...bc that will mean the team will likely be a winner

...and those are the kinda guys you want anyway

Remember with the portal, everyone is a one year player, get whoever you can get each year.

Apparently based on someone who watched him this year he handled spot PG duties for small stretches and did ok too forget who posted that but it’s in this thread. So just another player who can help with ball handling when needed and is a capable passer vs a black hole. Plus the shooting skillset obviously.
I think it was me and that's a good summary. He's got a pretty good handle and can be a decent facilitator when he wants - he just seemed to like to shoot a whole lot more than pass.

I think it was me and that's a good summary. He's got a pretty good handle and can be a decent facilitator when he wants - he just seemed to like to shoot a whole lot more than pass.
I mean, don't we all?

Every video I have watched of Moore, it seems like he may take a bit to adjust to the D1 game. Nothing wrong with that at all. Having this kid (Taylor) hopefully will add a layer of protection and give us 3 solid shooters.

For the record Taylor isn’t just visiting. He’s moving in. Quite literally lol

So he's on an official visit that lasts through the end of next season? :)

It is getting to the point where guys will need homes! Likely more leverage with the decent players that are left in the portal as most of the chairs have been filled.

Awesome and hopefully as complementary piece his game will adapt accordingly.

As long as they r convinced he’s a good teammate let’s roll.

Agreed.

With Taylor in the fold we’ve gone from a team last year that was two juniors ( one who got injured and one who was kicked off ) plus a bunch of sophomores to

Lampkin- 5th yr Sr
Carlos- Sr
McLeod - Sr
Davis - Sr
Taylor - Sr
Bell - Jr
JJ - Jr
Cuffe - 4th yr Jr ( second year playing)
Westry - 3rd year sophomore
Donnie- Frosh
Moore - Frosh

One more jr in Marist kid??

Anyways what a shift into a much more experienced team and older team overall. Not to mention say what you want in where they came from but every txfr comes in with having produced ( two being highest scorers) against solid competition plus obviously Lampkin being the biggest get. Older teams are the key in the portal era and we’ve successfully managed to have a team full of them. Might not be able to do it every year but pair that with top recruits and we are in business. Play the market the best way things let you and just keep getting better

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom