Class of 2021 - SG Lucas Taylor (NC) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (6/4/24) | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2021 SG Lucas Taylor (NC) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (6/4/24)

I like him: size; range; and experience. 35% from 3 is no joke. Looks like he has two years left; he would take pressure off JJ and give Moore time to adjust. That alone justifies bringing him in. BUT, if can play some 1 - bring the ball up and initiate the offense - that would make him more valuable. No idea if he has the requisite handle or distribution talent, But if he does, he could split minutes with Carlos and give us size up top and a perimeter threat. In that case I REALLY like him.

Last edited:
I like him: size; range; and experience. 35% from 3 is no joke. Looks like he has two years left; he would take pressure off JJ and give Moore time to adjust. That alone justifies bringing him. BUT, if can play some 1 - bring the ball up and initiate the offense - that would make him valuable. No idea if he has the handle or distribution talent, But if he does, he could split minutes with Carlos and give us size and a perimeter threat up top, In that case I REALLY like him.

1 yr left. He started after the Covid year

1 yr left. He started after the Covid year
Good catch. I went by sports Reference - showing 22-23 and 23-24 stats for him. But he spent two years at WF (15 games in '21 and 12 in '22) before transferring to GSt.

Background context is that he played at WF and didn't play much, transferred to Georgia State and did better -- but transferring back "up" a level brings question marks.

He's a shooter, and we need more guys who can shoot. I think that's the role.

Cuffe to me is PG sized, but didn't demonstrate much lead guard aptitude. He's like a short SG. But he was also coming off [basically] three years of not playing much due to COVID shutdowns and then collegiate injuries, so maybe last year was more about just knocking off ring rust and getting acclimated to high major college competition. Maybe he shows expanded playmaking capabilities this year, now that he has his sea legs -- but I kind of expect him to be more of a microwave guy who also gets after people defensively, more than a guy we bring in primarily to run the offense. Might not matter that much with others who can handle the ball / initiate the offense like Westry, JJ [to a lesser extent], etc.

Plus, Taylor doesn't take up a roster spot for long. But it could impact someone like Moore, no question. And that's not to say that Moore won't prove to be a "better" player / option than Taylor.

But on the basis of shooting potential alone, I'd rather add Taylor than not, and let the rest sort itself out on the practice court.
100000% agree. We needed a pg. this isn’t good for choppa. Would have rather grabbed a ball handler and let choppa play as a backup shooter

I like him: size; range; and experience. 35% from 3 is no joke. Looks like he has two years left; he would take pressure off JJ and give Moore time to adjust. That alone justifies bringing him. BUT, if can play some 1 - bring the ball up and initiate the offense - that would make him a key addition. No idea if he has the requisite handle or distribution talent, But if he does, he could split minutes with Carlos and give us size up top and a perimeter threat. In that case I REALLY like him.
Taylor wasn’t brought in to play the point. Wouldn’t expect any time at the one from him.

My first impression of Lucas Taylor is that Red is cornering the market on guys that can dribble themselves into position to take difficult two point shots one step inside the three point line.

My second impression is that he is an ok three point shooter, who can get better if he has good shot selection. He is weirdly bad at catch and shoot (according to the text feed in the video, I have no idea where the stats come from). Most guys get better with time to set their feet, but he likes to shoot off the dribble. Maybe SSS, and not a real phenomenon.

He can get to the basket and dunk in traffic, which is a big skill, imo. I always worry when a guy didn't show top notch athleticism and is moving up. If he has the physical talent and just needed time to work on his basketball skills, that's a different story.

I think Taylor will be a rotation player, or depth if Cuffe and Moore beat him out. It's nice to have competition.

Welcome to Syracuse, Lucas!
Screenshot_20240604-135759_Instagram.jpg

There is all of a sudden an Orange footprint in North Carolina. Two NC kid commits within a week of each other. LGO!

My first impression of Lucas Taylor is that Red is cornering the market on guys that can dribble themselves into position to take difficult two point shots one step inside the three point line.

My second impression is that he is an ok three point shooter, who can get better if he has good shot selection. He is weirdly bad at catch and shoot (according to the text feed in the video, I have no idea where the stats come from). Most guys get better with time to set their feet, but he likes to shoot off the dribble. Maybe SSS, and not a real phenomenon.

He can get to the basket and dunk in traffic, which is a big skill, imo. I always worry when a guy didn't show top notch athleticism and is moving up. If he has the physical talent and just needed time to work on his basketball skills, that's a different story.

I think Taylor will be a rotation player, or depth if Cuffe and Moore beat him out. It's nice to have competition.
Its a high light video, you can’t define a players game by it. We don’t need anymore depth guys we need potential starters.

Its a high light video, you can’t define a players game by it. We don’t need anymore depth guys we need potential starters.
Shots don't make it to a highlight film if you don't take them. :)

In general, he's a versatile scorer. He shot 7.5 twos per game to 5.8 threes. Shot decent percentages, which will go up when he's not his teams go to scorer, but will go down with bigger/better defenders. He's got a positive a/to ratio, and drew only 2 foul shots per game.

The Sun Belt Conference was ranked 17th in SRS last season, while the ACC was 5th.

But he shoots way too many difficult two pointers from far away... Hopefully, he cuts down on those type of shots when on a better scoring team, and his assists go up while his bad shots go down.

Last edited:
i wasn’t a huge fan initially but this late in the process I think he’s a decent piece. Good size, played 30mpg last year.

Between Carlos, JJ, Choppa, Cuffe, Taylor, and Westry - Red essentially needs 3 of them to work. But the depth is nice regardless

i wasn’t a huge fan initially but this late in the process I think he’s a decent piece. Good size, played 30mpg last year.

Between Carlos, JJ, Choppa, Cuffe, Taylor, and Westry - Red essentially needs 3 of them to work. But the depth is nice regardless
By my experimental math, 50% success rate is 100% success.

I see a high likelihood that we can get two good starters and at least two good reserves out of that group.

Hopefully whoever gets beat out doesn't make a stink about it in the locker room, or is off the team quickly if they do. I think Red will have a much quicker trigger after last season.

PG-Carlos
SG-Starling
SF-Bell
PF-Freeman
C-Lampkin

If you have a healthy Westry. He’s going to be a stud of a 6th man. He can play the 1-3.

Westry, Davis, Moore, Lucas and McLeod will likely be the key guys off the bench. That’s likely the rotation to start the season.

I wouldn’t say this team has that one “alpha dog” that’s going to get you a basket every time. But you have a team that can beat you in a multitude of ways. This teams is a lot more well rounded than last year. Get me the Marist center as a back up and I think we are all set.

You have guys that are decent to great shooters: Carlos, Starling, Lucas, Bell, Moore

We can pound it inside with our big guys in Lampkin, Davis and Freeman

We have extremely good passers for players at their position in Carlos, Davis, Lampkin

We can beat you in transition with Carlos, Starling, Freeman, Davis, Westry, Moore

Very well rounded team. My only concern is defense. Westry, Carlos, Freeman, Bell (when he wants to be), Davis are all good defenders. But we’ll see about the rest of the guys.

Between Freeman, Davis, Lampkin, Westry, Starling (good rebounder for a guard), McLeod…rebounding shouldn’t be an issue

PG-Carlos
SG-Starling
SF-Bell
PF-Freeman
C-Lampkin

If you have a healthy Westry. He’s going to be a stud of a 6th man. He can play the 1-3.

Westry, Davis, Moore, Lucas and McLeod will likely be the key guys off the bench. That’s likely the rotation to start the season.

I wouldn’t say this team has that one “alpha dog” that’s going to get you a basket every time. But you have a team that can beat you in a multitude of ways. This teams is a lot more well rounded than last year. Get me the Marist center as a back up and I think we are all set.

You have guys that are decent to great shooters: Carlos, Starling, Lucas, Bell, Moore

We have extremely good passers for players at their position in Carlos, Davis, Lampkin

We can beat you in transition with Carlos, Starling, Freeman, Davis, Westry, Moore

Very well rounded team. My only concern is defense. Westry, Carlos, Freeman, Bell (when he wants to be), Davis are all good defenders. But we’ll see about the rest of the guys.

Between Freeman, Davis, Lampkin, Westry, Starling (good rebounder for a guard), McLeod…rebounding shouldn’t be an issue
I'm worried about rebounding - but I've been worried about rebounding since I enrolled in 2008 so that's not really new.

Mahoney's dreams of a fifth season must be dead

i like this pickup

he's not going to be the alpha dog on this team, by any means...but there's a lot there...can see why he's already been on a p5 roster from his highlights.

my concern with him is how his game changes if he isnt featured in the offense...how that might effect his confidence etc...he plays with swag and confidence...hopefully that continues
PG-Carlos
SG-Starling
SF-Bell
PF-Freeman
C-Lampkin

by my count thats at least 6 players who averaged double digit scoring last season PLUS freeman, westry and moore

this team is deep

way better than last year

only thing is now red has a lot of tough calls to make with playing time and has to pull the right strings

Agreed.

With Taylor in the fold we’ve gone from a team last year that was two juniors ( one who got injured and one who was kicked off ) plus a bunch of sophomores to

Lampkin- 5th yr Sr
Carlos- Sr
McLeod - Sr
Davis - Sr
Taylor - Sr
Bell - Jr
JJ - Jr
Cuffe - 4th yr Jr ( second year playing)
Westry - 3rd year sophomore
Donnie- Frosh
Moore - Frosh

One more jr in Marist kid??

Anyways what a shift into a much more experienced team and older team overall. Not to mention say what you want in where they came from but every txfr comes in with having produced ( two being highest scorers) against solid competition plus obviously Lampkin being the biggest get. Older teams are the key in the portal era and we’ve successfully managed to have a team full of them. Might not be able to do it every year but pair that with top recruits and we are in business. Play the market the best way things let you and just keep getting better
Never forget last year the Covid kids dominated the league. UNC, Clemson, Tenn, etc. On and on with these 5-6 year career college players.

UNC and Clemson started the year with an average starting roster age of 23.5. Cormac Ryan will be 26 in a few months. Let that sink in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom