Class of 2022 - SG Roddy Gayle (NY / Wasatch) | Page 26 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 SG Roddy Gayle (NY / Wasatch)

If JJ decided not to come back, we need a flat out great shooter. Gayle and Chance are not that. There’s so many shooters in the portal that we should be contacting if JJ is not coming back. I watched Gayle a few times and he was ok. He made some wild plays that made my hair stand up and not for the good.
otoh bell and moore are 2 great shooters

I would like more shooting too...but there are at least a few already onboard

Copeland 2.8 ast to 2.0 TO Cuffe 0.5 asst to 0.6 TO

Forget the numbers for a moment. How many times did Copeland make crazy passes that were automatic turnovers? Be honest.

Now, how many times did Cuffe just throw the ball into the stands? That's what I'm talking about.

Copeland was high-risk / high-reward. Cuffe is less risky with the ball. I would be comfortable with him running the back-up point. To me, he's a way better version of Symir Torrence.

Agree. Where’s he going to play? He’s not starting, so why would he come here?

When was the last time any good team with through a whole season playing 5 guys?

We may be brainwashed as Syracuse fans, when Boeheim repeatedly played our starters more than any other freaking coach in America. Most places are not like that.

Red played a lot of guys last year. He showed he will give everyone a chance and play the best guys. What quality player wouldn't want a chance to compete? It's not like JJ and Chris are locked in starters. They may be the starters on Day One, but they have to play well to keep that job.

When was the last time any good team with through a whole season playing 5 guys?

We may be brainwashed as Syracuse fans, when Boeheim repeatedly played our starters more than any other freaking coach in America. Most places are not like that.

Red played a lot of guys last year. He showed he will give everyone a chance and play the best guys. What quality player wouldn't want a chance to compete? It's not like JJ and Chris are locked in starters. They may be the starters on Day One, but they have to play well to keep that job.
competition for minutes is what good teams do

deep rosters is what good teams do

Mintz gone and JJ testing waters (I think he comes back but u never know?) Cuffe is meh and Chance could be special but we all know that's a big IF. Let's not act like we are fully loaded at the guard spot. Even if JJ comes back they can share minutes. Plenty of versatility and minutes available...idk what Roddy is looking for but I don't hate the idea of him being in our roster. He makes us better. We absolutely have to get a PG and idk what kind of money we have to play with here or what these kids are getting paid so who knows. I do agree though, PG needs to be priority #1, 2 and 3.

*I keep forgetting about Moore. Idk if it makes sense for Roddy or our team make up but I wouldn't be mad to see us involved and would also understand if we don't get involved.*
When did JJ say he was testing the waters?

I have not seen written word of such. About a week or so ago I’m pretty sure that Brian Higgins mentioned rumblings about JJ put feelers out. But then again that is local talk radio. lol. I hope JJ stays and improves his defense because I have a strong feeling his offense will continue on an upward trajectory. Then he would be a player!

I have not seen written word of such. About a week or so ago I’m pretty sure that Brian Higgins mentioned rumblings about JJ put feelers out. But then again that is local talk radio. lol. I hope JJ stays and improves his defense because I have a strong feeling his offense will continue on an upward trajectory. Then he would be a player!
Yeah but Higgins is connected with people within the AD

Two seasons ago, played 16 minutes/game, shot 44% overall and 43% from three. This season, played double the minutes, 31 minutes/game, overall shooting percentage increased to 45%, but his three point percentage plummeted to 28%. Form looks good from three and shoots over 80% from the line.

He posted something on Instagram about how it was a fun ride or something for the last game of the year and people here freaked out about it. One person said his intention was to test the draft waters (but he obviously will not be drafted).

Two seasons ago, played 16 minutes/game, shot 44% overall and 43% from three. This season, played double the minutes, 31 minutes/game, overall shooting percentage increased to 45%, but his three point percentage plummeted to 28%. Form looks good from three and shoots over 80% from the line.
He also shot 24% from 3 his final year of high school (granted it was only 38 attempts).

I'd take Gayle over Leffew in a heartbeat

I would be interested in having a conversation. His 3-point percentage this year is a little concerning but I wonder why it dropped so much. His other shooting improved from his freshman year to his sophomore year but his three-point shooting went down a ton.

A JJ / Gayle backcourt would be hard to watch on offense I suspect. He’s less of a facilitator than Leffew. Gayle has struggled with turnovers since prep school to boot and has been a SG in both years at OSU. Add on top he put up 102 3PA and made only 28 pct. Good player in general but I don’t see him running the point effectively.

I would be interested in having a conversation. His 3-point percentage this year is a little concerning but I wonder why it dropped so much. His other shooting improved from his freshman year to his sophomore year but his three-point shooting went down a ton.

He took more than twice as many 3s this past year vs freshman year.

I think even if we get Gayle, we need a pure PG for the rotation. Otherwise, Cuffe will be that guy.

Starling, Moore, Gayle, Cuffe and there's room for another guy to compete for minutes. There's not a pure PG creator in the bunch. Westry, if healthy, can also play SF. He's got more size than Gayle.

He took more than twice as many 3s this past year vs freshman year.

I think he would play more like 25 minutes than 30+. And options on the bench would keep him in check.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom