Class of 2022 - SG Roddy Gayle (NY / Wasatch) | Page 27 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 SG Roddy Gayle (NY / Wasatch)

I'd take Gayle over Leffew in a heartbeat

Even if we are going to take 2 guards, I'd rather have Erik Reynolds, the kid from St. Joe's, than Leffew. I would probably take him over Gayle, too. Maybe the interest isn't there.

He took more than twice as many 3s this past year vs freshman year.

Freshman year he took 21 FTs and shot 81%
Sophmore year he took 143 FTs and shot 83%

Freshman year he took 141 FGs and shot 44%
Sophmore year he took 376 FGs and shot 44.9%

Why the dip in 3 point % his volume went up across the board but only his 3 point % dipped.

Why the dip in 3 point % his volume went up across the board but only his 3 point % dipped.

FT volume increase is a different animal than taking more 3s… he had a bigger role this year and he came back closer to the mean of where his shooting actually is. Andre Jackson even shot 36 pct one year on 61 attempts just given how teams let him prove he could make some. Gayle’s frosh year numbers trend the same way.

It really is going to happen that at various times all of Judah Mintz, Quadir Copeland, JJ Starling, Chance Westry and Roddy Gayle are all going to be Syracuse players.

Crazy.

Gayle hit a high percentage on 49 3 point attempts. He’s never been a good shooter and this season where he got to take a lot of shots showed that. He’s a pretty talented player but he’s neither a PG or a perimeter shooter.

Why would he come here unless he’s willing to come off the bench? I can’t imagine Red wpild startt him over JJ

He had an injured wrist.

It sounds like SU is going to lose another guard. If not, it’s a log jam in the backcourt.
Remember this time last year, when we were sure we were going to have a three guard lineup?

Freeman and Bell's backup might be a big guard.

So red and company are just going to work through their friends list on Facebook it sounds like. Not getting good vibes. Would HCFB be settling for gayle?

Not really specific to Gayle, but I remember writing a small blurb about some of Chris Bunch's teammates/opponents from the games I watched back when he was at Wasatch:

Other notes about the game:
  • Coen Carr from Legacy is an insane athlete. It doesn't seem like he has much basketball skill right now but my god he had a couple monster dunks and apparently holds offers from Georgia and Georgia Tech.
  • Our former flame Roddy Gayle is impressive. Doesn't seem like a great shooter, but he was maybe the only guy on the floor that could consistently get where he wanted to go and create his own looks.
  • Keba Keita is a 6'8"ish center for Bunch's team. Pretty burly built guy, mobile and bouncey and just plays really hard. He got in foul trouble early in the 3rd quarter and had to sit out while Legacy built a double digit lead. He re-entered the game and Wasatch instantly got the lead back. He finished with (unofficially) 12 points, 9 rebounds, 2 blocks, and 2 steals on 5/6 shooting (and 2/2 from the FT line). The only offer I've seen reported for him is from Washington.

We've obviously been discussing Gayle a decent amount in here so we know where he's at in his career. Carr is a 6'6" forward who just completed his freshman season for Michigan State where he played 12 minutes per game. He did not attempt a 3 pointer and nearly all of his shot attempts came in the paint, but he shot 65% from the field and averaged 1.8 steals and 1.8 blocks per 40 minutes.

Keba Keita, who I really wanted us to pursue as a short but strong center, just finished his sophomore season at Utah where he played 16 minutes per game and per 40 minutes, averaged an astounding 20.5 points, 13.3 rebounds, 2.7 blocks, and 2.0 steals per 40 minutes (and also over 5 fouls lol). His BPM this season of 8.1 is higher than anyone on our team this past season (Maliq was our highest at 7.4).

There was another big man that ended up going to a small school that absolutely dominated one of the high school games against one of our recruiting targets...I wish I could remember his name because I'd love to go see how he's been doing lol

I think this is Westry insurance. We still have room for another guy.
I should know this but were westry knee issues this year related to year prior? In other words is there a medical reason to believe he's more susceptible to get hurt again? Thx

Remember this time last year, when we were sure we were going to have a three guard lineup?

Freeman and Bell's backup might be a big guard.

Precisely. We saw Copeland play the 3 last season. Westry will probably do some of the same.

Looking at Gayle's 3pt % stats from last year, I was wondering if maybe he went through a bad stretch (kind of like JJ and the beginning of the year). Nope, he shot very consistently mediocre from 3 all season long.

Gayle is not coming to Syracuse nor any other point guard that is not garbage to come off the bench .get real
You have absolutely zero clue what sort of relationship he holds with coaches or what he’s looking for to buy into a program. A sixth man could get more time and NIL than starters in certain scenarios.

Aside from JJ, there’s not one player on this team who’s in the universe of guaranteed starter.

You have absolutely zero clue what sort of relationship he holds with coaches or what he’s looking for to buy into a program. A sixth man could get more time and NIL than starters in certain scenarios.

Aside from JJ, there’s not one player on this team who’s in the universe of guaranteed starter.
Lampkin is starting and so is freeman that's theee

Lampkin is starting and so is freeman that's theee
Neither would have an impact on Gayle.

It’s nice we’ve kept Bell but I’d be concerned if the staff didn’t try to recruit over him or Westry. I say that as a massive Chance fan. You’ve got to bring in competition to move the program forward

Well, if Bell is here, he is a starter.

So red and company are just going to work through their friends list on Facebook it sounds like. Not getting good vibes. Would HCFB be settling for gayle?
Who in "Red's company" was Facebook friends with Lampkins?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom