Class of 2020 - SG/SF Alan Griffin (NY / Illinois) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 SG/SF Alan Griffin (NY / Illinois) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
The offensive numbers are not the question. The question is how bad was the defense that he didn't get more minutes?

His offensive numbers were the best on the team and it wasn't close so what's keeping his minutes down, defense and behavior seems to be the answers.

Can we or anyone get that to change? I believe he has the athletic ability to be at least a decent defender and his talent is worth the risk.

This is where not being able to have a face to face really hurts...
His rebounding numbers are better than Eli’s. Maybe I’m in the minority but I never thought Eli was a great defender ...he had nice weak side blocks but overall he was probably average defensively.

our defense will probably never be good with our current personnel. But if we can be good offensively and rebound the ball (aka limiting the opponent to 1 shot) I think we can score enough to win (this is with Griffin)

His rebounding numbers are better than Eli’s. Maybe I’m in the minority but I never thought Eli was a great defender ...he had nice weak side blocks but overall he was probably average defensively.

our defense will probably never be good with our current personnel. But if we can be good offensively and rebound the ball (aka limiting the opponent to 1 shot) I think we can score enough to win (this is with Griffin)
Elijah blocked shot and got steals.

Rebounds require missed shots we cannot have 3 below average defenders on the court and win, not at the level we all want.

It seems to me that people only talk about defense in the game threads...

Elijah blocked shot and got steals.

Rebounds require missed shots we cannot have 3 below average defenders on the court and win, not at the level we all want.

It seems to me that people only talk about defense in the game threads...
So then you sit one of Girard and Boeheim for minutes next season and mix in Griffin like we did Waiters/Triche/Jardine all of whom were better players and managed to all get enough minutes.

We just need to get Griffin and then let the best players play.

So then you sit one of Girard and Boeheim for minutes next season and mix in Griffin like we did Waiters/Triche/Jardine all of whom were better players and managed to all get enough minutes.

We just need to get Griffin and then let the best players play.
sure, but those were 3 good defenders.

rotating 3 bad defenders doesn't do much.....

sure, but those were 3 good defenders.

rotating 3 bad defenders doesn't do much...
So why weren’t we mixing in one good defender and one good shooter for offense as the backcourt last season?

So we're just going to stay inside all day and have no sports for a year?
Would you rather go out and die? In the 1940's people had to go to Europe and fight a war. No football for them. We do what we have to do. No one wants football cancelled. I hope it isn't. But I'm not willing to have people die so that I can have it.

Griffins advanced defensive metrics are very similar to Hughes in most areas and some are even better. If there’s any deficiency there it is minor. He should be the number one target on our recruiting board right now.

Last edited:
So why weren’t we mixing in one good defender and one good shooter for offense as the backcourt last season?
Because the good defenders were not that good of defenders and were horrible on the offensive in.

The only guard on the team last year who could drive the ball was Carey and we know what happened there.

If you have 4 non drives and two of them are non shooters your options are limited.

Kadary changes that for next year and that is why I believe he will play and play a lot.
I like Griffin but if he is a shooter that doesn't play defense we already have a couple of those.

Would you rather go out and die? In the 1940's people had to go to Europe and fight a war. No football for them. We do what we have to do. No one wants football cancelled. I hope it isn't. But I'm not willing to have people die so that I can have it.
If some people are willing to die for the Dow, I'm willing to die for football I guess.

Griffins advanced defensive metrics are very similar to Hughes in most areas and some are even better. If there’s any deficiency there it is minor. He should be the number one target on our recruiting board right now.
Then why didn't he play more...

And comparing defensive metrics of individual players when one is playing man and the other zone is useless, the team metrics have value though.

For example Griffin was playing against other back-ups and can be placed on a non scorer.

Then why didn't he play more...

And comparing defensive metrics of individual players when one is playing man and the other zone is useless, the team metrics have value though.

For example Griffin was playing against other back-ups and can be placed on a non scorer.

Cause it appears by looking at the roster the coach stuck with his more veteran options just like a lot of other coaches do.

If you're a good man defender you can be a good zone defender and vice versa. You don't think MCW and Brandon Triche would have been good man defenders? He played nearly 20 mpg. He was hardly playing against just backups. You're being weirdly stubborn about this while being bullish on a HS SR and a guy who averaged 3ppg.

Cause it appears by looking at the roster the coach stuck with his more veteran options just like a lot of other coaches do.

If you're a good man defender you can be a good zone defender and vice versa. You don't think MCW and Brandon Triche would have been good man defenders? He played nearly 20 mpg. He was hardly playing against just backups. You're being weirdly stubborn about this while being bullish on a HS SR and a guy who averaged 3ppg.
I don't know that I agree with that. Some guys are much better playing defense in either zone or man but not both.

I don't know that I agree with that. Some guys are much better playing defense in either zone or man but not both.

That is correct, but I'd gather most are good in both. Those are 2 options I though of for us that proves the point.

The guy was shooting lights out and not playing over guys who are not shooting nearly as well. He shot 41.6% from 3 the next highest % on the team was 30.9%!

The idea that he wasn't playing more because he was only a Sophomore is ridiculous this isn't 70s...

So I am looking for a red flag because the numbers indicate there must be a red flag.

Correct! Jonny Flynn great man to man, but zone not so much...

We don’t need Griffin to be Eli, and he probably won’t. But if he can score 12-14ppg, shoot 40% from 3, and grab 5rpg a game while playing 30mpg, that’s huge. He won’t be able to create like Eli or bail us out like Eli did, but that’s ok. If the rest of the team improves and we get that from Griff...we should get to 20 wins
Is there a reason why would wouldn't expect him to improve as a 'creator?' Eli took a step forward this year when he knew he wouldn't have Battle. Is there some flaw in this kid that tells us he's done maturing?

Good chance he’s our best player if this happens. Being able to drive home or to Toronto to catch a game and see his dad along with seeing his role (Eli) open up I would think would be enough to get him.

Does he handle the 1 whenJG3 sits?

I honestly think for the next 12 months if we have sports they will be empty arena games.

TV money will allow the sports to survive financially. Profits will obviously be less and contracts reduced but if the NBA/NFL/MLB just got their TV money the sports would still be profitable.
I don’t think college football is happening. You can’t force college football players to go live on campuses if they are shutdown for students and everything is online.

College basketball maybe if they waited till next January/February could play. You can’t have games witb crowds until their is a vaccine. All it takes is one idiot at a game with this and the virus spreads x100 when people go home.
If sports are played and broadcast the ratings will be off the chart.

Can we get Sidibe to put on 20 lbs of muscle? And Edwards 40 lbs? I don’t want to see Marek have to play the 5 again this year. I really don’t. The kid deserves a break.

Status
Not open for further replies.