Class of 2020 - SG/SF Alan Griffin (NY / Illinois) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 SG/SF Alan Griffin (NY / Illinois) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Complete with the superfluous lousy music...Looks like a talented kid. If the coaches want him, i hope they get him. It will be interesting if he's a natural '2' and JB might have to reduce Buddy's playing time. Would he do that?

So one factor that may help Syracuse is dad coaching in Toronto. They don't have many nights off but he just may be able to make the 4 hour drive to see his son play. Also I would hope the staff is using Oshae as an agent in this with his Coach Griffin (Adrian not Alan)!

If that’s the case all those dooms-dayers where right to stock up on food, water and ammo because the apocalypse is coming or... at some point we’re going to have to man up and go about our lives. We can’t shut down the country for a year, it would be economic suicide.
There's a ton of possibilities that exist between no sports and shutting the country down for a year.

In any event, Griffin seems to be a good fit for us, and we seem to be a good fit for Griffin. I do think being close to home helps us a lot.

Ok herbstreit. At some point we all need to get on with our lives. There will be a vaccine. If not and there's no football I'm going to Mars.
Wimbledon which is in late June early July just got canceled.

Don’t live by this comment. I am not sure College football is happening.
The NFL is more greedy but I am not sure it will happen on time this year.

I think their will be no Crowds if the NBA and nhl come back this year.

Hopefully Griffin comes to SU and we have a March Madness next year.

Big difference between nfl and CFb is the college aspect. If campuses are still closed come fall there’s no way you can have a season

Big difference between nfl and CFb is the college aspect. If campuses are still closed come fall there’s no way you can have a season
My wife gave me a list of grad programs in the country and I picked Texas A&M specifically for football, if I had to live in this middle of nowhere town for 18 months and don't get 2 football seasons out of it, I'm going to be pretty angry!

NFL won’ have fans either.

NFL won’ have fans either.
I honestly think for the next 12 months if we have sports they will be empty arena games.

TV money will allow the sports to survive financially. Profits will obviously be less and contracts reduced but if the NBA/NFL/MLB just got their TV money the sports would still be profitable.
I don’t think college football is happening. You can’t force college football players to go live on campuses if they are shutdown for students and everything is online.

College basketball maybe if they waited till next January/February could play. You can’t have games witb crowds until their is a vaccine. All it takes is one idiot at a game with this and the virus spreads x100 when people go home.

I don't think the NHL and nba will be back this year. However mlb is still planning on hav
Ing a season. I'd be stunned if there wasn't a football season.

I honestly think for the next 12 months if we have sports they will be empty arena games.

TV money will allow the sports to survive financially. Profits will obviously be less and contracts reduced but if the NBA/NFL/MLB just got their TV money the sports would still be profitable.
I don’t think college football is happening. You can’t force college football players to go live on campuses if they are shutdown for students and everything is online.

College basketball maybe if they waited till next January/February could play. You can’t have games witb crowds until their is a vaccine. All it takes is one idiot at a game with this and the virus spreads x100 when people go home.

My opinion only -- but it is tough to predict. If no effective treatment or effective preventative inoculation is found, then I cold see something like that to limit exposure risk.

But it is too early to say with any certainty whether X or Y will occur. Outlook might look a lot different if an effective treatment protocol gets put into use.

Complete with the superfluous lousy music...Looks like a talented kid. If the coaches want him, i hope they get him. It will be interesting if he's a natural '2' and JB might have to reduce Buddy's playing time. Would he do that?
Natural 2 in the same class as Buddy...

I think college basketball is highly unlikely at any time next year.

Final warning. This thread is about Alan Griffin.

Posts about whether or not there will be a season or other COVID-19 subjects will be terminated with extreme prejudice.

Capisce?

Sorry.
1585578512901.png

Jeez. Plays pretty much like Eli. Nice fit. Good place for him to ramp up his production.
It's a highlight film that doesn't show him taking people of the dribble. Good shooter who rebounds, but there's a reason he only played 18mins a game.

Go talk about this blah everywhere else where it’s being talked about we hear about it enough already it’s consumes our everyeady lives just shut up holy Christ.

This is exactly why no one likes this guy post. Go talk about this blah everywhere else where it’s being talked about we hear about it enough already it’s consumes our everyeady lives just shut up holy Christ.
We’re here to talk about syracuse basketball, recruiting, and AG not the samn dman thing that’s being discussed in every other area of the damn internet.

For AG. And a waiver, I’d believe it would make sense but it’s syracuse and the ncaa so probably not lol

It's a highlight film that doesn't show him taking people of the dribble. Good shooter who rebounds, but there's a reason he only played 18mins a game.

Not having access to much Illinois film, I'm basing this purely on numbers:

% Assisted on shots at the rim:
Elijah: 47.4%
Griffin: 29.4%

% Assisted on 2 point jumpers:
Elijah: 17.5%
Griffin: 0.0%

% Assisted on 3 point jumpers:
Elijah: 71.8%
Griffin: 89.4%

But due to the fact that so much of Griffin's production this year came from the 3 point line, his overall assisted % is higher than Elijah's (Elijah at 49.2% of all field goal attempts versus 65.0% for Griffin).

Elijah also drew fouls at a significantly higher rate as well.

On the flipside, those numbers for Griffin are nearly an identical match to Elijah's first year in Syracuse (64% assisted and a 25% FT rate versus Griffin's 65% and 20% respectively). Elijah took on a much larger role in terms of shot creation this season, but up until this year, Elijah had played essentially the same way as Griffin and Griffin was obviously highly productive this season.

To me, Griffin seems like pretty much the perfect type of transfer candidate. Fits a need, shows flashes of shot creation ability and great shooting ability. And he was extremely productive in a modest but significant role on a pretty good team. He looks like a much better bet as a transfer than Elijah and Gbinije were for example.

Last edited:

But due to the fact that so much of Griffin's production this year came from the 3 point line, his overall assisted % is higher than Elijah's (Elijah at 49.2% of all field goal attempts versus 65.0% for Griffin).

On the flipside, those numbers for Griffin are nearly an identical match to Elijah's first year in Syracuse (64% assisted and a 25% FT rate versus Griffin's 65% and 20% respectively. Elijah took on a much larger role in terms of shot creation this season, but up until this year, Elijah had played essentially the same way as Griffin and Griffin was obviously highly productive this season.

To me, Griffin seems like pretty much the perfect type of transfer candidate. Fits a need, shows flashes of shot creation ability and great shooting ability. And he was extremely productive in a modest but significant role on a pretty good team. He looks like a much better bet as a transfer than Elijah and Gbinije were for example.
We don’t need Griffin to be Eli, and he probably won’t. But if he can score 12-14ppg, shoot 40% from 3, and grab 5rpg a game while playing 30mpg, that’s huge. He won’t be able to create like Eli or bail us out like Eli did, but that’s ok. If the rest of the team improves and we get that from Griff...we should get to 20 wins

On the flipside, those numbers for Griffin are nearly an identical match to Elijah's first year in Syracuse (64% assisted and a 25% FT rate versus Griffin's 65% and 20% respectively. Elijah took on a much larger role in terms of shot creation this season, but up until this year, Elijah had played essentially the same way as Griffin and Griffin was obviously highly productive this season.

The offensive numbers are not the question. The question is how bad was the defense that he didn't get more minutes?

His offensive numbers were the best on the team and it wasn't close so what's keeping his minutes down, defense and behavior seems to be the answers.

Can we or anyone get that to change? I believe he has the athletic ability to be at least a decent defender and his talent is worth the risk.

This is where not being able to have a face to face really hurts...

Status
Not open for further replies.