Class of 2020 - SG/SF Alan Griffin (NY / Illinois) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 SG/SF Alan Griffin (NY / Illinois) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would love for Dolezaj to finally be unleashed, but that's seemed more like a Dolezaj mentality issue than a team makeup issue. It's really up to Dolezaj whether or not he can finally take that step; he's certainly talented enough to do it.
MD brings a unique skill set relative to his length, the best of which, IMO, are his passing and overall court awareness. The other thing he does exceptionally well is initiate the fast break off of his own rebound. I'd love to see a lot more of that next season. I'm talking about when he rebounds and immediately heads up the floor and takes it all the way to the rim or kicks out to the shooters. He is a real weapon in this sense.

I think we also need to understand that MD was never the focus of opposing defenses. People underestimate how much attention was focused on taking BB's shot way, along with trying to contain Eli. Some of that focus will switch to MD next year. It will be interesting to see how he responds.
His assertiveness and confidence will need to take a big jump.

I just like his potential and he hasn’t really had the chance to play yet.
I think it was the NC State away game 2 years ago, he got in at the end. His defense at the bottom of the zone was terrific.

Pfft, floor spacing. I got 80 minutes of floor spacing with Joseph and Jackson's names on it.

Joseph was a much better ballhandler and shooter than Quincy.

You’ll see the results next year. Trust me.

Yeah, it’s not about trying to ‘duplicate’ this season. More about finding the best way to have less of a drop off when losing our best and only dynamic scorer, with no obvious successor on the roster. If we actually could match eli’s Production, ostensibly we would be a better team because of expected progression and development and experience from everyone else. It’s all a guessing game, but I’m guessing the pieces we already have aren’t going to make up for the losses.

Good post. I'll take that one step further -- it isn't about replacing Eli's production, because he had an unbelievable season and was the focal point of opposing defenses [and still produced].

It is instead about replacing SOME of his production [i.e., outside shooting, versatility, defense, etc.] with an experienced, athletic player who can step right into the lineup, and take some pressure off of the rest of the team, who will have to shoulder a bigger portion of the load now that Eli won't be part of the lineup.

I know.

I just wanted to beat the dead minutes horse again.

Which isn't a bad thing. Early in the season, Quincy looked uncoordinated and mechanical. He had trouble finishing, and seemed like a bit of a spaz out there.

When we got to the ACC portion of the schedule, he seemed to settle in -- in no small part due to him dispensing with hanging around the perimeter and instead focusing on playing in the paint. Once he started to do that, he started producing. Big time. He has the potential to be the best low post scorer we've had in a long time. Over the course of his career, I'm certain that he'll be given more of a green light to face up and take jumpers, but he really benefited THIS YEAR when he started to only do that situationally and instead focused on rebounding and attacking in the box.

Good post. I'll take that one step further -- it isn't about replacing Eli's production, because he had an unbelievable season and was the focal point of opposing defenses [and still produced].

It is instead about replacing SOME of his production [i.e., outside shooting, versatility, defense, etc.] with an experienced, athletic player who can step right into the lineup, and take some pressure off of the rest of the team, who will have to shoulder a bigger portion of the load now that Eli won't be part of the lineup.
the most important part of eli's game that has to be replaced are his point guard skills. he was the de facto lead guard on more than half the possessions. joe showed increasing competence as a pg, but there is no backup now. it will all be riding on kadary being able to give minutes there. i'd much rather get a true point or a combo with good pg skills than someone like griffin, who is a pure wing. that is not the primary area of need, imho

Joseph didn't play much his freshmen except the 6 TO game.

He made a huge jump his sophomore year, but didn't shoot 3s until his junior and senior years...

Last edited:
Alan Griffin. That's all.

Not who will play the 3, not how Elijah did last year, not anything else. Alan Griffin. I'm tired of seeing my inbox blow up with posters asking to stop the derailment of this thread. Take it to the main board.

1 hour timeout. Sheesh.

*Rumor has it Griffin is visiting Easter weekend.

Could be big for the program. Will be interesting to see exactly how that works given everything being shutdown. Melo center has to be pretty empty. Forget touring the Dome. Would have to hope he commits on the spot, regardless.

*I made up this rumor and you all know it.

Could be big for the program. Will be interesting to see exactly how that works given everything being shutdown. Melo center has to be pretty empty. Forget touring the Dome. Would have to hope he commits on the spot, regardless.

Lock the thread again.

Alan Griffin. That's all.

Not who will play the 3, not how Elijah did last year, not anything else. Alan Griffin. I'm tired of seeing my inbox blow up with posters asking to stop the derailment of this thread. Take it to the main board.

1 hour timeout. Sheesh.
You should use the ignore feature on those posters. Personally, the tangents and ramblings give this place is pazzaz, an insight into some of our denizens. It fun.

You should use the ignore feature on those posters. Personally, the tangents and ramblings give this place is pazzaz, an insight into some of our denizens. It fun.
Nope. And it's not me. It's all the other posters who want to read about the recruitment of the subject of the thread, not someone's opinion on the 2-3 zone. That is damn near impossible with the thread derailments.

And as a mod, I don't feel it is appropriate to put ANY poster on ignore. I don't know of any mods that have anyone on ignore.

You can find insights into posters on the main board.
1585690762969.gif

thread view would solve it for everyone. yeah i know that ship has sailed

but i have it on good authority that alan griffin loves thread view more than an open look on a fast break three

Nope. And it's not me. It's all the other posters who want to read about the recruitment of the subject of the thread, not someone's opinion on the 2-3 zone. That is damn near impossible with the thread derailments.

And as a mod, I don't feel it is appropriate to put ANY poster on ignore. I don't know of any mods that have anyone on ignore.

You can find insights into posters on the main board. View attachment 179039
I was having a bit of fun, that's all

Griffin isn’t signing anywhere until he can visit that school and that’s not happening anytime soon.

Last edited:

It would be HILARIOUS if they worked in a dome visit one of the days. “Look Alan up there...wait...what? RUN!!!!”

Vaughn ending up in Dayton would be good for us, I would think
Nevermind

Nevermind
He’s a northeast kid. I’d guess UConn

Yup but you still can’t visit schools. So all of these transfers are going to be choosing schools without ever visiting!!! Increases our chances with Griffin even more!!!

Yup but you still can’t visit schools. So all of these transfers are going to be choosing schools without ever visiting!!! Increases our chances with Griffin even more!!!
I chose Syracuse without ever visiting. And that was pre-internet. I had brochure pix. A kid these days can get a decent sense of what a school is like with online videos, and can facetime the staff.

The other kid just committed to Arkansas(?). Maybe he had visited before he committed to New Mexico, though?

Status
Not open for further replies.