Class of 2016 - SG/SF Andrew White (VA; Grad Transfer from Nebraska) | Page 41 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 SG/SF Andrew White (VA; Grad Transfer from Nebraska)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wanted to be the 1,000th post on this thread and really hope we land this kid
upload_2016-7-7_8-58-40.png

Want me to delete one? ;)

We did it w Dion. That worked out ok.

Lydon did pretty well coming off the bench last year too.

Although this is true, JB not starting Dion was the best thing that happened to Dion. He entered SU with an ESPN top 15 ranking. Dion was a "me first" player his freshman year, struggled with concentration on D, and had that infamous heated argument with JB on the sideline when he was taken out of a game. He averaged about 7 pts/game and 2 rebs.

Lydon is a completely different personality, basketball wise. JB wants him to be much more assertive and confident. He evolved over the course of the season as his confidence grew (avg 10 and 6); coming from "nowhere" to being a projected high first round pick entering his Soph year.

I would be shocked if JB does not start Lydon from Day 1.

Yeah, Lydon is our counter to Harry Giles. He's our best all around player. He's won't sit much at all this year, that's why I never got the start him as a sixth man. I think Gillon would be perfect as the guy to come in and push the tempo.

Lydon doesn't need to start to get 30 mpg. He's most valuable, at this level, as the guy who can play three different positions and disrupt the other team's D.

Lydon doesn't need to start to get 30 mpg. He's most valuable, at this level, as the guy who can play three different positions and disrupt the other team's D.

I think people are still underrating him. I know, I'm a nerd, but most metrics say he was our second best player last year after G. He's going to play closer to 35 this year than 30. I know we have lot's of talent, but there's a reason NBA guys like him the most out of anyone on our roster.

I think people are still underrating him. I know, I'm a nerd, but most metrics say he was our second best player last year after G. He's going to play closer to 35 this year than 30. I know we have lot's of talent, but there's a reason NBA guys like him the most out of anyone on our roster.

Lydon is my favorite player. There is no doubt he will get lots of PT. However, there will be plenty of meaningful minutes for everyone on the roster. When you have more people you can play more aggressively on defense and use up other player's fouls. We are going to need that capability during difficult games.

It's still kind of early to talk about line ups although it's a lot fun.

Getting back to AW3, I agree with JimJar. This has been one of the most exciting June / July's for Orange basketball probably ever. I love all this drama. August 1st deadline for graduate registration is fastly approaching. I hope we hear some positive news from AW3. If he's is as good as everyone thinks he will get plenty of PT and exposure to NBA scouts. With only 24 days left I doubt this thread will turn into the TT fiasco. Although I do take some of the responsiblity for the TT thread, I am determined to stay on topic in this thread.

I know we have lot's of talent, but there's a reason NBA guys like him the most out of anyone on our roster.
Yeah he's shiny and new. The NBA hasn't really seen what Lydon is capable of. All they've seen is an undersized center that can shoot the 3 and block shots on help D. I expect a lot more driving this year from Lydon.

Lydon is my favorite player. There is no doubt he will get lots of PT. However, there will be plenty of meaningful minutes for everyone on the roster. When you have more people you can play more aggressively on defense and use up other player's fouls. We are going to need that capability during difficult games.

It's still kind of early to talk about line ups although it's a lot fun.

Getting back to AW3, I agree with JimJar. This has been one of the most exciting June / July's for Orange basketball probably ever. I love all this drama. August 1st deadline for graduate registration is fastly approaching. I hope we hear some positive news from AW3. If he's is as good as everyone thinks he will get plenty of PT and exposure to NBA scouts. With only 24 days left I doubt this thread will turn into the TT fiasco. Although I do take some of the responsiblity for the TT thread, I am determined to stay on topic in this thread.

I love all this drama. Now there's something I haven't read very often on the basketball board.

I'm sure this has been stated but if the NBA is White's ultimate goal then SU makes a lot of sense. We have been sending guards to the NBA annually it seems. Lydon and Battle will be attracting a lot of NBA scouts. We will be ranked in the top10 all season with tons of TV coverage and you are talking about a team good enough to win the ACCT and the NC so tons of publicity and screen time down the stretch of the season.

Guys, Lydon is our best player and will start. This is insanity.
It's not insane. You need to put it in context of this particular team. Lydon will not start at guard - obviously. Not at center either - especially with a 5th year, local, McD AA on the team.

That leaves forward. Hard to see JB sitting a senior TR. One spot left. Looks between, hopefully, AW3 or Lydon. Lydon would be playing out of position vs AW3 who would be a 5th year senior.

Also, from an offensive team perspective, JB will probably want to minimize the time that 7'2"PC and TR are on the floor together.

It's not insane. You need to put it in context of this particular team. Lydon will not start at guard - obviously. Not at center either - especially with a 5th year, local, McD AA on the team.

That leaves forward. Hard to see JB sitting a senior TR. One spot left. Looks between, hopefully, AW3 or Lydon. Lydon would be playing out of position vs AW3 who would be a 5th year senior.

Also, from an offensive team perspective, JB will probably want to minimize the time that 7'2"PC and TR are on the floor together.
This where I am. Boeheim do Boeheim things. When was the last time a four year player and senior lost his starting job just because? Coleman is starting. And I think Roberson does as well. No AW3, then, yeah sure I can see Lydon starting at the 3. That doesn't mean that Lydon doesn't play starter minutes.

This will be an interesting roster for sure if they land AW3. Eight potential starters results in an average of 25 mpg. All of them are good, all get consideration.

I'm not underrating him. I think Lydon is a fantastic player and will be huge for this team. I just don't think Boeheim changes one of his things - rewarding upperclassman. I could be wrong - I'm not in his head.

I'm not underrating him. I think Lydon is a fantastic player and will be huge for this team. I just don't think Boeheim changes one of his things - rewarding upperclassman. I could be wrong - I'm not in his head.

Possibly, other people closer to the program (Dash/Bees) have suggested it's a lock Lydon starts, and not a lock Gillon starts.

Anyway. Will White just commit already???? I need to be more productive today.

This where I am. Boeheim do Boeheim things. When was the last time a four year player and senior lost his starting job just because? Coleman is starting. And I think Roberson does as well. No AW3, then, yeah sure I can see Lydon starting at the 3. That doesn't mean that Lydon doesn't play starter minutes.

This will be an interesting roster for sure if they land AW3. Eight potential starters results in an average of 25 mpg. All of them are good, all get consideration.

There's two parts to that equation. Coleman may be starting but his amount of minutes he plays depends on how well he plays and how his knees are performing. It seems to me like Coleman is going to be about the same as last year. This season Chukwu will be the difference at center. Lydon and TR will play the 4 spot. Lydon, Moyer, and AW2 will play the 3 spot. Maybe Battle will play a little 3 if Gillon is really good. I think we are going to see a lot of Battle / Gillon, Battle / Howard, and maybe White / Gillon.

Possibly, other people closer to the program (Dash/Bees) have suggested it's a lock Lydon starts, and not a lock Gillon starts.

Anyway. Will White just commit already???? I need to be more productive today.

Oh, Gillon's starting.

There's two parts to that equation. Coleman may be starting but his amount of minutes he plays depends on how well he plays and how his knees are performing. It seems to me like Coleman is going to be about the same as last year. This season Chukwu will be the difference at center. Lydon and TR will play the 4 spot. Lydon, Moyer, and AW2 will play the 3 spot. Maybe Battle will play a little 3 if Gillon is really good. I think we are going to see a lot of Battle / Gillon, Battle / Howard, and maybe White / Gillon.

I think it is more complex than that. Minutes could be determined by who's playing better any given game, or matchups. Some teams, Coleman might be effective against. Others, maybe Chukwu plays more, or Lydon in the pivot. Maybe Roberson kills it against one team and plays 35, whereas another night he plays 15 minutes with Lydon or Moyer or someone else getting the lion share of minutes at the 4. That's how JB utilized the bench with the 2012 squad, which was loaded and 9 or 10 deep.

I find it nearly impossible to believe that coach is going in with a set number of minutes he expects to play anyone. Yes, we can expect Lydon and Battle to play 35+. The others? How they're playing any given night and matchups will determine. It's actually a great problem to have -- 10 capable players [if we are able to reel in White], lots of position flexibility and guys who can interchangeably play multiple positions. Not only will that make for competitive practices, but it also means that we won't be locked into having to play a guy if he's having an off-game like you are when you don't have quality depth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom