Class of 2016 - SG/SF Andrew White (VA; Grad Transfer from Nebraska) | Page 59 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 SG/SF Andrew White (VA; Grad Transfer from Nebraska)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whether White commits or not, I look forward to the mea culpa thread from all of the doom and gloomers who claimed that JB and staff were not working hard enough, took shots at departing players and/or generally claimed that SU basketball was on an irreversible descent into mediocrity.

Anyone want to step up and own their overreaction?

{insert deafening silence here}

Truth be told when I predicted deafening silence i expected at least 1 person to admit they overreacted and took shots at program and/or players that were irrational or unjustified. There were at least 20 of you for crying out loud. Oh well too much to ask I suppose. But next time someone says "relax, we cannot win every battle and somethings won't go our way" (as many informed posters said) take it to heart and relax. Please. You sounded foolish then and more so now. More importantly when does the season start? Let's go orange.

I've been told that Mike McCallister posted on that other board that AW3 told him he's taking a visit elsewhere. Hmm. Nothing comes without a sweat, I guess.
Its been triple confirmed here, he must ve been profoundly mistaken lol

I've been told that Mike McCallister posted on that other board that AW3 told him he's taking a visit elsewhere. Hmm. Nothing comes without a sweat, I guess.
That is not what I am seeing on that other board. There is a misleading post titled "I guess Andrew White is not coming here" that was posted yesterday (so well before this afternoon's hysterics here). And Mcallister's response (again, from yesterday) was simply that he hadn't made a decision but we were the only school he had visited. I may be missing something, but this appears to be the extent of it.

That is not what I am seeing on that other board. There is a misleading post titled "I guess Andrew White is not coming here" that was posted yesterday (so well before this afternoon's hysterics here). And M's response (again, from yesterday) was simply that he hadn't made a decision but we were the only school he had visited. I may be missing something, but this appears to be the extent of it.

Someone told me about the post. I didn't even read it. No clue what is fact and what is fiction on that.

Last edited:
Truth be told when I predicted deafening silence i expected at least 1 person to admit they overreacted and took shots at program and/or players that were irrational or unjustified. There were at least 20 of you for crying out loud. Oh well too much to ask I suppose. But next time someone says "relax, we cannot win every battle and somethings won't go our way" (as many informed posters said) take it to heart and relax. Please. You sounded foolish then and more so now. More importantly when does the season start? Let's go orange.
I was pissed at JB if we only had 8 scholarship players but I never wanted the guy gone.

Thompson's commitment helped alienate 2017 roster which was another concern. Now we have Moyer-Chukwu-Thompson-Howard as the foundation for 2017.

I wasn't calling for the guy's head but I was concerned and now I feel a lot better. We still need a huge 2017 recruiting class but if we get AW3 we are a Final Four and NC contender.

Have people seen this yet? Kid Mamba on campus

Stuff was nice - oh my goodness the kid has arrived.
Let me just jump the gun for the rest of us 'pollyannas' and say WE DID IT, WE ARE SUPER AWESOMELY FANTASTIC AND GOING TO THE PROMISED LAND!

Seriously, looked silky smooth like his hair was styled by the zohan himself.
So let's do this. Disco Disco.
disco-disco-good-good-o.gif

Truth be told when I predicted deafening silence i expected at least 1 person to admit they overreacted and took shots at program and/or players that were irrational or unjustified. There were at least 20 of you for crying out loud. Oh well too much to ask I suppose. But next time someone says "relax, we cannot win every battle and somethings won't go our way" (as many informed posters said) take it to heart and relax. Please. You sounded foolish then and more so now.

Foolish is a strong word. There is always insight into whatever it is you find irritating. What you find irritating is like a window into your own soul. For the most part, you only criticize in other people what you do not like about your own character. Relax, people do not always post the way you like it.

That is not what I am seeing on that other board. There is a misleading post titled "I guess Andrew White is not coming here" that was posted yesterday (so well before this afternoon's hysterics here). And M's response (again, from yesterday) was simply that he hadn't made a decision but we were the only school he had visited. I may be missing something, but this appears to be the extent of it.

And that misleading "I guess Andrew White is not coming here" post on TOS was in fact made by Syracusefan legend...CaliCuse

Restating the obvious. We all know that minutes don't necessarily correlate with who starts in our system. Boeheim has traditionally started certain guys but given them the quick hook. I think minutes comes down to these factors:

1. Who can run the offense: Gillon is the proven leader. Frankie has the tools and will probably get significant minutes.

2. Who can defend the rim and rebound in crunch time.

3. How well incoming players can learn the zone. For ex., It remains to be seen if AW can cover the ground required of our forward positions...that is if we get him.

Restating the obvious. We all know that minutes don't necessarily correlate with who starts in our system. Boeheim has traditionally started certain guys but given them the quick hook. I think minutes comes down to these factors:

1. Who can run the offense: Gillon is the proven leader. Frankie has the tools and will probably get significant minutes.

2. Who can defend the rim and rebound in crunch time.

3. How well incoming players can learn the zone. For ex., It remains to be seen if AW can cover the ground required of our forward positions...that is if we get him.

New players always learn the zone. The problem is it takes 2 months before they get really good at it.

When's the last time we had a team that talented?

Lydon could be a lottery pick. Battle could, potentially, end up a first rounder. White's a special talent as well. Thompson and Moyer have potential NBA talent but need a little maturing and marinating. Could argue that PC's and Franks potentials are crazy too.

I think you put yourself in a really bad position as a program if you lift grad student starters from other programs and not start them. So...I would think White and Gillon both start.

Lydon starts.

The other two spots get tricky.

Gillon
White
Lydon

My guess?
Roberson
Coleman

But it could be
Battle / Coleman
Battle / Roberson

I think the crunch time players will be:

Gillon
White
Lydon
Roberson
No flipping idea...could put 3 did people here...

That's how I see it, for the most part, as well. That's our "closing" lineup, for sure. I'd be surprised if it wasn't Battle, but could see Chukwu in the middle negating attempts while the others score.

It really is too bad that Roberson wasn't 6-9 230 instead of 6-7 210 without too much shotblocking. If he can handle the pivot, the lineup would be SICK. Lydon is sure to beef up. He'll be better suited to handle the middle defensively in our system than he was last year. I think he'll play a lot there, too.

Coleman / Chukwu will definitely play, as well. Lots of mixing and matching is what I'd expect to see, depending on matchups and how players happen to be performing on any given night.

When's the last time we had a team that talented?

Lydon could be a lottery pick. Battle could, potentially, end up a first rounder. White's a special talent as well. Thompson and Moyer have potential NBA talent but need a little maturing and marinating. Could argue that PC's and Franks potentials are crazy too.

I was pretty stoked 2009-10, 2010-11, and 2011-12. Those were really good years. I think the 2009-10 season I was Orange drunk all through December.

I realize it's become a rarity in the modern game but one thing this team will lack is a back to the basket post presence ala Arinze. We will not have a guy we can dump it inside to for an easy layup. And please don't mention Coleman-- until he proves he can do it, I won't believe he can. I guess Lydon might be able to provide that, but he doesn't look like he's bulked up much and that's not his strength.

One thing we should be good at: alley oops. We should be deadly at that. That will help us when are shots aren't falling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom