Class of 2016 - SG/SF Andrew White (VA; Grad Transfer from Nebraska) | Page 84 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 SG/SF Andrew White (VA; Grad Transfer from Nebraska)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bethel, which is on Route 2 about 20 miles from Gorham, NH. We have our own little lake. The cabin belongs to my 90 year old mother in law, and the extended family has been going there for 23 years. The "no tech" was set up deliberately so that all the kids could have a real vacation in nature. We have had as many as 25 people in that place! But this year, I think 16.

Have a wonderful time! I must finish packing . . . . . So excited!!!
Have a great time! I used to go up to a lake by Skowhegan. Really awesome. When you return the Orange will be 10 strong with AW3 in the fold!!!!:)

Yeah, I really hope Roberson brings it from the start because with other guys hungry for minutes, I could see Boeheim losing patience with him quickly. When Roberson is on, man, he is a beast. I would love to see him have a strong senior year. It's easy to root for program guys like him.

orangefan13 said:
Haven't posted in awhile, missed this board. I just can't imagine Roberson getting less than 30 minutes. I just can't see it. I imagine white would eat up 5 at sg also. Plus what about moyer and thompson? Maybe Moyer eats 5-10 at SG instead. I think he is going to surprise quite a lot of us. Maybe Lydon gets 10 at center though. The good thing is if White comes we have the depth to really press for very very long periods barring we find that 4th guard. That would be a amazing sight to see, and really help with the minutes issues. But in order for that to happen either Howard needs to take a slim step up when Battle is resting defensively or we need to find one of our forwards as a guard. And yes we can press with Lydon and Chuckwu playing center imo. Maybe even Thompson.

With you on the press. With the shorter shot clock AND a press AND a tough zone to crack and all that depth we will be a very tough out.

With you on the press. With the shorter shot clock AND a press AND a tough zone to crack and all that depth we will be a very tough out.

Absolutely! I LOVE the thought of this, particularly come March! We could REALLY be a pain in the a$$ for teams. A relentless press followed by a formidable zone defense with plenty of fouls to go around if need be.

I know typically only JB presses when down, but sometimes you can just wear teams down to outrun then late in the game especially when they don't get a rest sitting back against our zone.

Yeah, I really hope Roberson brings it from the start because with other guys hungry for minutes, I could see Boeheim losing patience with him quickly. When Roberson is on, man, he is a beast. I would love to see him have a strong senior year. It's easy to root for program guys like him.

Roberson when at his best does the things that don't get noticed on the sheet, go back and rewatch the Virginia game, he kept alive so many rebounds it was crazy, that is what we need from him, hopefully playing a few less minutes will keep him ultra active on the glass. Need guys like this to win.

Roberson when at his best does the things that don't get noticed on the sheet, go back and rewatch the Virginia game, he kept alive so many rebounds it was crazy, that is what we need from him, hopefully playing a few less minutes will keep him ultra active on the glass. Need guys like this to win.
Thank you! Not enough credit given for that. It's almost like the Tyler "Rhymes with Tennis, not Venus" Ennis hockey assist.

I think that Roberson is going to have an outstanding senior year. As last season unfolded you could see that he was on the verge of putting it all together. Over the past 10 years, those players who have remained in the program for the full 4 years have with very few exceptions had tremendous senior years. Scoop, Rak, CJ, Triche, AO, Rick Jackson... I expect Roby will follow suit. I'm envisioning that the lasting final image of him will be high atop one of these with a pair of scissors in his hand;)
pd6200-4c.jpg

I think that Roberson is going to have an outstanding senior year. As last season unfolded you could see that he was on the verge of putting it all together. Over the past 10 years, those players who have remained in the program for the full 4 years have with very few exceptions had tremendous senior years. Scoop, Rak, CJ, Triche, AO, Rick Jackson... I expect Roby will follow suit. I'm envisioning that the lasting final image of him will be high atop one of these with a pair of scissors in his hand;)View attachment 69639
I think you're right, and my hope is that we become a fantastic rebounding team, with Robey, DC, TL, and perhaps AW, should we get him. With PC on the floor blocking shots, should allow the wings a lot of flexibility. Unlike last year we have the length to keep the zone spread out a bit, as opposed to having help down low, when we used TL as C.

Last edited:
I think that Roberson is going to have an outstanding senior year. As last season unfolded you could see that he was on the verge of putting it all together. Over the past 10 years, those players who have remained in the program for the full 4 years have with very few exceptions had tremendous senior years. Scoop, Rak, CJ, Triche, AO, Rick Jackson... I expect Roby will follow suit. I'm envisioning that the lasting final image of him will be high atop one of these with a pair of scissors in his hand;)View attachment 69639

The guy he reminds me of in a way -- which is longer than 10 years ago -- is damone brown. Brown was a good player by his sophomore year and was about the same as a junior. But then in his senior season his numbers took a big jump (16 ppg and 9 rpg, 1.5 bpg essentially). I'm not sure Roberson has that kind of offense in him, but in terms of consistency, I think he could be a guy that averages at least 10 and 8 and plays great defense. That's extremely valuable and he may even have more in the tank than that and be closer to Rick Jackson's senior year (14 and 10, I think). It'll be interesting to watch.

Because of the way SU plays we do not have to have folks in your typical positions. Because we play zone as long as White is quick enough to cover the top it does not matter as he does not have to cover the other teams guard man to man. On offense we need to be able to get it up the floor if press comes which any of the other three guards can do with the help of Lydon. The other thing our guards tend to need to do is play pick and role and drive and kick we have that with what ever guard is in and Lydon. Lydon being 6-9 but having a lot of guard skills gives us the ability to go large in the zone which if they all play defense I believe will be what Coach B wants to see to create difficult passing lane issues for our competition.

Because of the way SU plays we do not have to have folks in your typical positions. Because we play zone as long as White is quick enough to cover the top it does not matter as he does not have to cover the other teams guard man to man. On offense we need to be able to get it up the floor if press comes which any of the other three guards can do with the help of Lydon. The other thing our guards tend to need to do is play pick and role and drive and kick we have that with what ever guard is in and Lydon. Lydon being 6-9 but having a lot of guard skills gives us the ability to go large in the zone which if they all play defense I believe will be what Coach B wants to see to create difficult passing lane issues for our competition.
our guards still have to be able to handle the ball against pressure or even just against man to man.

our guards still have to be able to handle the ball against pressure or even just against man to man.

Exactly. Picture a backcourt of Battle and Andrew White facing Louisville's press. Now rethink the "big" lineup.

Exactly. Picture a backcourt of Battle and Andrew White facing Louisville's press. Now rethink the "big" lineup.
You know it's ok to use different lineups depending on the situation... Up tempo/pressing games, Gillon becomes more important. Lydon @ the 4 could bring up the ball against a press a la John Wallace. Against certain teams, a "big" lineup could be indefensible...

That's what would be great. We can adapt to attack the opponent. Maybe LVILLE we employ Gillon, Howard, Battle, White, and Lydon (just to go the other extreme) while ND gets Battle, White, Lydon, Roberson, and PC to try and shoot over in the zone. We have so many ways to beat teams (assuming white commits).

Good point. Picture a lineup of Gillon, Battle, White, Roberson & Lydon -- which would provide quickness against the press, and scoring after beating the press.

I know a lot of people don't think Lydon plays the 5 much but look at that lineup? It would be extremely hard to pressure and impossible to cover in halfcourt sets. That lineup is getting good shots most of the time plus you have Roberson to deal with on the offensive glass in a very spread out set.
Its also funny that it would be our SMALL lineup but still be running out 6', 6'-6", 6'-7", 6'-8", 6'-9". There are plenty of P5 schools who would be happy with that length and size across the whole lineup.

The guy he reminds me of in a way -- which is longer than 10 years ago -- is damone brown. Brown was a good player by his sophomore year and was about the same as a junior. But then in his senior season his numbers took a big jump (16 ppg and 9 rpg, 1.5 bpg essentially). I'm not sure Roberson has that kind of offense in him ... I think he could be a guy that averages at least 10 and 8 and plays great defense. he may even ... be closer to Rick Jackson's senior year (14 and 10, I think). ...

Roberson was 8.4 pts, almost 9 rebs, this past season, so you aren't projecting much of a jump. We won't be as perimeter oriented, and Roberson may get more opportunities than when Cooney, G and Richardson were the bulk of the offense. But Roberson needs to add a dimension to his offensive game. Damone always had a jump shot; it would be a nice surprise if Roberson has found one as a senior.
If Roberson does not add a dimension, he could lose minutes with the addition of White, and the added depth we have in the frontcourt.

You know it's ok to use different lineups depending on the situation... Up tempo/pressing games, Gillon becomes more important. Lydon @ the 4 could bring up the ball against a press a la John Wallace. Against certain teams, a "big" lineup could be indefensible...

I realize this, but even against tough M2M, you need more playmaking and ball-handling on the court than Battle and Andrew White deliver from the guard spots. White is going to play the 3 FAR more than the 2 for this reason.

I know a lot of people don't think Lydon plays the 5 much but look at that lineup? It would be extremely hard to pressure and impossible to cover in halfcourt sets. That lineup is getting good shots most of the time plus you have Roberson to deal with on the offensive glass in a very spread out set.
Its also funny that it would be our SMALL lineup but still be running out 6', 6'-6", 6'-7", 6'-8", 6'-9". There are plenty of P5 schools who would be happy with that length and size across the whole lineup.

Right, and a lot of people were shocked last season when Lydon played the majority of his minutes at the 5. He proved he could do it, and he will be up to 220 lbs this season. It will be a good option, depending on what PC can contribute on offense. And, if PC can contribute inside, Lydon can play some PF and you still have strong perimeter offense and ball-movement with Gillon, Battle and White.

Roberson was 8.4 pts, almost 9 rebs, this past season, so you aren't projecting much of a jump. We won't be as perimeter oriented, and Roberson may get more opportunities than when Cooney, G and Richardson were the bulk of the offense. But Roberson needs to add a dimension to his offensive game. Damone always had a jump shot; it would be a nice surprise if Roberson has found one as a senior.
If Roberson does not add a dimension, he could lose minutes with the addition of White, and the added depth we have in the frontcourt.
Maybe I'm completely wrong, but I think Robes has the makings of a mid-range jumper. I think it's simply a matter of him AND JB having confidence in it... Hopefully as a senior, TR can have the confidence to pull the trigger without worrying about getting yanked if he misses...

Maybe I'm completely wrong, but I think Robes has the makings of a mid-range jumper. I think it's simply a matter of him AND JB having confidence in it... Hopefully as a senior, TR can have the confidence to pull the trigger without worrying about getting yanked if he misses...
Last season, JB sure did not want either Roberson or Howard taking mid-range jumpers. You have to respect that, because JB has seen how they shoot in practice. Frankly, I thought Roberson did not show a smooth stroke on his foul shots or his jump shots, so I am skeptical. It is part of the reason we need White and why we have to hope Gillon at 6ft 0 in can find some open looks.

He does and when he was open and fired without hesitation it looked pretty good even if the trajectory was a bit flat. That said he has had that for 3 seasons and it never came to fruition, plus when you add in his low FT shooting percentage it makes it seem rather unlikely. I'd love to see it happen but in the heat of the game Roby doesn't have faith in his own jumper which is painfully obvious by how hesitant he is to pull the trigger 90% of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom