Class of 2018 - SG/SF Buddy Boeheim SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE | Page 21 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 SG/SF Buddy Boeheim SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE

Well you never know these days, but regardless I'm happy for buddy. He would be getting more offers if it wasn't for papa b

Dont burn me on the cross but wouldn't it be best for Buddy and his family for him to play for somebody other than his Dad.

Hell, if I was Buddy, and the Zags wanted an official visit then I'd take it. He's traveled around, but why not check out the campus, and area while you're young.

Obviously this is all hypothetical, and hasn't been said anywhere. Just incase anyone read this as he is taking one, or may.

I'd take a few visits if they were offered.

Dont burn me on the cross but wouldn't it be best for Buddy and his family for him to play for somebody other than his Dad.
I can see that.

I would feel really awful for him if he struggles a bit, JB plays him a lot and the fans go bonkers over the situation. Some bozos would talk about how he's only a "walk-on" and only plays because of pops. There will be H0T Takes from the mouth breathers. There will be a lot of unnecessary comments about him, more than other players, by the people that don't like JB. I could see it being pretty bad if Buddy isn't a quality player from the get go, and that would be totally unfair.

Another layer involves JB's time-frame as the HC. Would this lock him in for 5 years? If he doesn't stay for 5, how awkward would it get for the next coach? All these other recent examples of coaches coaching their sons (McDermott, Alford, Beilein, etc) were a lot less murky.

There are some reasons why it may be best to get out from dad's shadow and the syracuse.com type 'fans' in CNY, but it'd be hard to not play for your father for the school you grew up around and loving. I just hope it works out really well wherever he goes (hopefully as a knock down shooter at SU).

I can see that.

I would feel really awful for him if he struggles a bit, JB plays him a lot and the fans go bonkers over the situation. Some bozos would talk about how he's only a "walk-on" and only plays because of pops. There will be H0T Takes from the mouth breathers. There will be a lot of unnecessary comments about him, more than other players, by the people that don't like JB. I could see it being pretty bad if Buddy isn't a quality player from the get go, and that would be totally unfair.

Another layer involves JB's time-frame as the HC. Would this lock him in for 5 years? If he doesn't stay for 5, how awkward would it get for the next coach? All these other recent examples of coaches coaching their sons (McDermott, Alford, Beilein, etc) were a lot less murky.

There are some reasons why it may be best to get out from dad's shadow and the syracuse.com type 'fans' in CNY, but it'd be hard to not play for your father for the school you grew up around and loving. I just hope it works out really well wherever he goes (hopefully as a knock down shooter at SU).
You make some very valid points. Let's hope his skin is as thick as his dads and he comes to Cuse despite the nay sayers. He may have a stubborn streak as well to earn his keep

I mean if you produce those stats at Peach Jam against some of the best talent in the country and people think you can't play you don't know one thing about basketball.

I totally understand where some of you are coming from, but it just reinforces the fact that a good portion of our fan base is not intelligent.

Are you guys all morons?

From all accounts Buddy is a legitimate D1, P5 player. Probably between 3-4 stars.

He has been quoted as saying that he'll probably go wherever his dad says and also that he'd love to play for his dad. His dad has said that he's never coached Buddy and thinks it would be great to do so.

Coach delayed his retirement so he could be at Syracuse to coach his kid. Hop knew that, that's why he left.

If the kid wasn't good enough to play at Syracuse then he wouldn't (see older brother). He is good enough, he wants to play at Syracuse and his dad wants him to.

Enough!

Are you guys all morons?

From all accounts Buddy is a legitimate D1, P5 player. Probably between 3-4 stars.

He has been quoted as saying that he'll probably go wherever his dad says and also that he'd love to play for his dad. His dad has said that he's never coached Buddy and thinks it would be great to do so.

Coach delayed his retirement so he could be at Syracuse to coach his kid. Hop knew that, that's why he left.

If the kid wasn't good enough to play at Syracuse then he wouldn't (see older brother). He is good enough, he wants to play at Syracuse and his dad wants him to.

Enough!
Dude, get over yourself. If he was a " from all accounts, legitimate D1-P5 player," Buddy would already be in Top 100 lists, and have at least some P5 offers. That is were he MAY be headed toward, but the kind of certainty you're implying is not there yet; discussion and speculation about his skill set is utterly valid on this forum...
Would we offer or take this kid on scholarship if his name wasn't Boeheim?

Dude, get over yourself. If he was a " from all accounts, legitimate D1-P5 player," Buddy would already be in Top 100 lists, and have at least some P5 offers. That is were he MAY be headed toward, but the kind of certainty you're implying is not there yet; discussion and speculation about his skill set is utterly valid on this forum...
Would we offer or take this kid on scholarship if his name wasn't Boeheim?

Well we took Brandon Triche, Andy Rautins, Hakim Warrick, James Southerland, and so on...

What tells you more about his skills? Top 100 lists or his Peach Jam/EYBL stats?

Oh and a kid Gonzaga offers can't play here? Didn't they just make the title game?

Well we took Brandon Triche, Andy Rautins, Hakim Warrick, James Southerland, and so on...

What tells you more about his skills? Top 100 lists or his Peach Jam/EYBL stats?

Oh and a kid Gonzaga offers can't play here? Didn't they just make the title game?
I agree that he MAY be a very good player for us; but to say that it's a "slam dunk" and not worth discussing is "moronic..."

Oh but don't u know that the zags ONLY offered him because Few is buddies with JB?! :bat:

Oh but don't u know that the zags ONLY offered him because Few is buddies with JB?! :bat:
No, because Buddy is exactly the "under the radar" type player for their recruiting strategy. Syracuse typically doesn't recruit that way. Let's not sugar coat this; we take Buddy because of his last name, and the fact that he won't take up a scholarship...

I mean if you produce those stats at Peach Jam against some of the best talent in the country and people think you can't play you don't know one thing about basketball.

I totally understand where some of you are coming from, but it just reinforces the fact that a good portion of our fan base is not intelligent.
Yeah, people don't seem to be as into the eye test anymore. It's all about recruiting rankings. Outside the top 30 or so, it's all hit or miss. He doesn't need to top 100 to help us. Buddy can definitely play P5. Is he a stud game changer...probably not(who knows what he develops into). But can he play a part and help us win some games? Of course he can. He's playing against top flite talent right now, and holding his own.

For example...here is a cut and paste from Trevor Cooney's recruiting page on ESPN. This is the very first sentence to his profile. Reminder that he was a top 100 player(I think around the 90's for most sites):
(Strengths:
Cooney is one of the elite shooters in the country.)

This statement did him in for most Cuse fans. I think we can all agree that he was not an elite shooter, and if he wasn't tabbed as one, we could have all seen him for what he was. A decent player, who hustled his butt off, and killed himself to try to win games.

Buddy will be a great addition!

No, because Buddy is exactly the "under the radar" type player for their recruiting strategy. Syracuse typically doesn't recruit that way. Let's not sugar coat this; we take Buddy because of his last name, and the fact that he won't take up a scholarship...

Oh without a doubt the not taking a scholarship up is huge for us. And his last name certainly helps but don't be fooled that this kid can't play. He was cny player of the year and has been lighting it up this summer and I wouldn't be surprised if he continues to rise. Just for comparison sake look at Robby carmody...kid is a top 100 player with all kinds of p5 offers and committed to Notre dame...whats different about their game? He certainly isn't a better athlete then buddy and I believe buddy has been shooting from outside better then him as of late. I think sometimes there is alot of bs and politics to the rankings(Not saying they aren't accurate) but there are always kids that are better then advertised that may not get the exposure or get noticed for whatever reason. Granted buddy has really come on this summer and I'm sure if he continues to have a great year at brewster u may see him climb in rankings/stars but regardless this kid can play. And he has a particular skill set that we desperately need and that's being a knock down shooter. How much he plays and what he contributes remains to be seen but I'm sure he will get every opportunity to do so

This is a serious question about Buddy being a walk on.

If he comes to SU without an athletic scholly, he can get his tuition paid because of SU's employee tuition program. What about room & board? Plus he won't get a stipend or the premium plans for room & board that athletes get.

So is JB going to pony up 20k a year so buddy can live on campus and eat in the dining halls? Or does JB give Buddy a scholarship? Has another coach of a P5 team with a borderline top 100 son had him walk on?

I'm thinking that Buddy might get a scholarship.

Hell, if I was Buddy, and the Zags wanted an official visit then I'd take it. He's traveled around, but why not check out the campus, and area while you're young.

Obviously this is all hypothetical, and hasn't been said anywhere. Just incase anyone read this as he is taking one, or may.

I'd take a few visits if they were offered.
I'm not sure if you have been to Spokane, Washington before but I have been there many times (my wife is from there). It's not much to look at. Imagine Syracuse without the Carrier Dome, Dinosaur BBQ, Brooklyn Pickle and Wegmans. Now if he gets an offer from Hop it would make sense to do the Seattle trip and drive over to Spokane. I get what you are saying and think he should take some visits.

If he comes to SU without an athletic scholly, he can get his tuition paid because of SU's employee tuition program. What about room & board? Plus he won't get a stipend or the premium plans for room & board that athletes get.

So is JB going to pony up 20k a year so buddy can live on campus and eat in the dining halls? Or does JB give Buddy a scholarship? Has another coach of a P5 team with a borderline top 100 son had him walk on?

At UCLA Bryce Alford has a scholarship and then came off scholarship to make room for incoming kids. I believe Leif but I could be wrong about that. I don't follow UCLA closely. Basically he could not take a scholly is 1st year and then if we have space available later we could put him on scholly later on.

JB will pay for Buddy. It's not like he is hurting for money. And we don't have the ships to just pass them around. Buddy helps us because of the sanctions. A good player that we get without spending a ship.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom