Class of 2018 - SG/SF Buddy Boeheim SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE | Page 22 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 SG/SF Buddy Boeheim SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE

This is a serious question about Buddy being a walk on.

If he comes to SU without an athletic scholly, he can get his tuition paid because of SU's employee tuition program. What about room & board? Plus he won't get a stipend or the premium plans for room & board that athletes get.

So is JB going to pony up 20k a year so buddy can live on campus and eat in the dining halls? Or does JB give Buddy a scholarship? Has another coach of a P5 team with a borderline top 100 son had him walk on?

I'm thinking that Buddy might get a scholarship.

Buddy will live at home and commute every day. ;)

JB will pay for Buddy. It's not like he is hurting for money. And we don't have the ships to just pass them around. Buddy helps us because of the sanctions. A good player that we get without spending a ship.
At UCLA Bryce Alford has a scholarship and then came off scholarship to make room for incoming kids. I believe Leif but I could be wrong about that. I don't follow UCLA closely. Basically he could not take a scholly is 1st year and then if we have space available later we could put him on scholly later on.

You guys very well could be right. JB has been good to SU in not demanding a fatter contract and is very generous in the community.

I'm just wondering what the basis is for everyone assuming he will walk on. And $80,000 is a lot of money.

I'm not sure if you have been to Spokane, Washington before but I have been there many times (my wife is from there). It's not much to look at. Imagine Syracuse without the Carrier Dome, Dinosaur BBQ, Brooklyn Pickle and Wegmans. Now if he gets an offer from Hop it would make sense to do the Seattle trip and drive over to Spokane. I get what you are saying and think he should take some visits.

I hear you but all that stuff is overvalued, IMO. There would never be big time programs in Lawrence, KS or Tuscaloosa, AL if those were factors. Gonzaga is starting to recruit at an elite level now with some of those recent McD kids so location is irrelevant.

JB will pay for Buddy. It's not like he is hurting for money. And we don't have the ships to just pass them around. Buddy helps us because of the sanctions. A good player that we get without spending a ship.

Amen, dash. Taking Buddy without using a scholarship is a no brainer.

This is not just a token addition. Buddy is not just a good shooter, he is a great shooter with near perfect form. He is a high Div 1 talent on that skill alone. Defenses are going to have to account for him when he is on the court, and that will help spread the floor for the dynamic forwards we are bringing in.

It's hard to believe there is any room for debate here.

At UCLA Bryce Alford has a scholarship and then came off scholarship to make room for incoming kids. I believe Leif but I could be wrong about that. I don't follow UCLA closely. Basically he could not take a scholly is 1st year and then if we have space available later we could put him on scholly later on.
Didn't McDermott do the same, as well as McCallum at Detroit?

Dude, get over yourself. If he was a " from all accounts, legitimate D1-P5 player," Buddy would already be in Top 100 lists, and have at least some P5 offers. That is were he MAY be headed toward, but the kind of certainty you're implying is not there yet; discussion and speculation about his skill set is utterly valid on this forum...
Would we offer or take this kid on scholarship if his name wasn't Boeheim?
Based on the way Buddy performed at the Peach Jam he is a legitimate D1-P5 player right now. He has extra value to us because he wouldn't take a scholarship but that doesn't mean the kid can't play. I think if he wasn't Boeheim's son he would have many more offers. The kid shot over 50% from 3 against the best HS players in the nation when they know he is a shooter and he is on a team where it's not like he is the 4th option and being left open or something. He scored more points than any one else on their team. A team with Isaiah Stewart and Jeenathan Williams on it.

You guys very well could be right. JB has been good to SU in not demanding a fatter contract and is very generous in the community.

I'm just wondering what the basis is for everyone assuming he will walk on. And $80,000 is a lot of money.

So just give Jim a $20k raise. Think anyone would notice.

Just kidding, NCAA.

With his Dad being an employee of the university, he can attend school for free. Buddy will "try out" for the basketball team and make it, like other students could do. Buddy will be no different than a Physics teacher's kid besides Buddy being a very very good basketball player.

I will make the bold prediction today, on July 19, 2017, that Buddy Boeheim will set the single season record for 3-pointers made, surpassing Uncle Drew and GMac, by the time Buddy graduates from Cuse

Dude, get over yourself. If he was a " from all accounts, legitimate D1-P5 player," Buddy would already be in Top 100 lists, and have at least some P5 offers. That is were he MAY be headed toward, but the kind of certainty you're implying is not there yet; discussion and speculation about his skill set is utterly valid on this forum...
Would we offer or take this kid on scholarship if his name wasn't Boeheim?

Get over your own self.

Pay attention - He's not getting offers because he's BOEHEIM'S SON and EVERYBODY ASSUMES HE'S COMING TO 'CUSE. He's got the offer from Gonzaga. Thats not good enough for you? And yes I think that a 6'5" guard that can shoot, that was player of the year, has an excellent basketball IQ (thanks dad) and got an offer from a program like Gonzaga would be the kind of kid that Syracuse would go after whatever his last name. His brother's last name is also Boeheim and he wasn't offered by Syracuse even though he's going to be playing D1 and got some mid-major offers.

As to the scholarship, thats a bonus. We get a quality player that we don't need to waste a scholarship on because - yes - as an SU employee, Coach's kids get to attend for free. He'll be a non-scholarship player. Like a walk-on. It's a lucky break for all involved, coach, player, fans.

So just give Jim a $20k raise. Think anyone would notice.

Just kidding, NCAA.
As a private school, would anyone actually get those details? Are JB's contract details readily available?

With his Dad being an employee of the university, he can attend school for free. Buddy will "try out" for the basketball team and make it, like other students could do. Buddy will be no different than a Physics teacher's kid besides Buddy being a very very good basketball player.

Tuition. Not room, board and fees.

Hope he gets to live on campus for true experience and teammate bonding

Get over your own self.

Pay attention - He's not getting offers because he's BOEHEIM'S SON and EVERYBODY ASSUMES HE'S COMING TO 'CUSE. He's got the offer from Gonzaga. Thats not good enough for you? And yes I think that a 6'5" guard that can shoot, that was player of the year, has an excellent basketball IQ (thanks dad) and got an offer from a program like Gonzaga would be the kind of kid that Syracuse would go after whatever his last name. His brother's last name is also Boeheim and he wasn't offered by Syracuse even though he's going to be playing D1 and got some mid-major offers.

As to the scholarship, thats a bonus. We get a quality player that we don't need to waste a scholarship on because - yes - as an SU employee, Coach's kids get to attend for free. He'll be a non-scholarship player. Like a walk-on. It's a lucky break for all involved, coach, player, fans.
Boom!

Tuition waiver

The comments.
goodfellas-laughing.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors