Class of 2017 - SG/SF Jordan Tucker (NY / GA) Leaving Duke to Butler | Page 137 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 SG/SF Jordan Tucker (NY / GA) Leaving Duke to Butler

Eh. UK had been hanging around Quade for 6 plus months. We let other guys fall by the wayside even though we knew that.

JT was not shy about his desire to play for Duke.

If we are going to recruit with the big boys we have to man up a little (or recruit different)
Recruiting is a difficult game. You're hedging lots of bets. And I think JB made decent bets actually. It was a very good bet and pretty clear that UK wanted Trae Young over Quade at PG and that Cal usually gets what he wants (but Cal got more aggressive in the late fall with Quade $$ when he realized Young might very well choose to stay home and play at OU). It was also a good bet that Duke would land Knox, so Tucker was a likely possibility to land at Cuse once we jumped back in. In terms of the others, the staff felt confident we could beat out other suitors for O'Connell (until Duke came calling) and Randolph, who was an east coast/Philly kid (until Zona and Book came calling). Should we have offered Isiaiah Washington because he wanted Cuse? In hindsight, maybe. But at the time the staff may have felt Howard was more ready to play PG than he's proven to be so far (in the case of Quade choosing U.K.). And if we got Washington that could hurt us in recruiting a top 25-50 PG in the 2018 class. Ex: If we land Washington, does it hurt us in getting a player like Jalen Carey down the road, who is a better fit for the zone and has a much higher upside? I'm not saying they made the right decisions, but there's so many variables the staff has to calculate that we just aren't privy to.

One thing I still don't understand is it sounds like he will get much more playing time here over Duke. I know this has been discussed. I can see him playing 30-35 MPG here, I don't think he exceeds 20 MPG there. Maybe this is my heart instead of my head talking.

I can only assume Tucker is a confident kid. Believes in his own talents and thinks he can beat out position competition and earn significant playing time. He'll take a visit to officially talk with K, and at that point he'll ask for a frank assessment of what he should expect in playing time, and he'll not get an answer he loves. He'll see Duke as, optimistically, a 2-3 year NBA track, and then he'll see us as a 1-2 year track, and that's our shot.

Because you are aware of his track record on visits. Our chances may have just gone up a touch.
I am but more than that I think he gets there and they talk to him about his role and he looks at who else is on the team and then stops and thinks of his role on our team. He was looking for this offer and really excited about it. I like the fact he is taking a visit and thinking about it. I feel like the more times passes the better our chances are. If he visits Wednesday and Thursday and doesn't commit on the visit but waits until the weekend we could do it.

I can only assume Tucker is a confident kid. Believes in his own talents and thinks he can beat out position competition and earn significant playing time. He'll take a visit to officially talk with K, and at that point he'll ask for a frank assessment of what he should expect in playing time, and he'll not get an answer he loves. He'll see Duke as, optimistically, a 2-3 year NBA track, and then he'll see us as a 1-2 year track, and that's our shot.

You don't think K will tell him what he wants to hear? He should able to look at their roster to figure it out but I doubt K tells him he will only play 15 MPG or whatever.

This is like you are about to get married but some super model dream girl asked you out on a date right before you tied the knot.
More than likely you go on that date. Because it is your dream girl.

But at the end of the day you will marry who is near and dear to your heart. Your true love. Not because of looks or superficial reasons.

Unless she is poisoned by licking the toxic wedding invitation envelops...

You don't think K will tell him what he wants to hear? He should able to look at their roster to figure it out but I doubt K tells him he will only play 15 MPG or whatever.
K will say it's all about competition here. If Tucker can't figure it out it's not K's job to sell Tucker on Cuse.

K will say it's all about competition here. If Tucker can't figure it out it's not K's job to sell Tucker on Cuse.

I agree. My point is he will say he will have a chance to earn big minutes. Let's face it: that's highly unlikely but of course K won't say that and he shouldn't.

I agree. My point is he will say he will have a chance to earn big minutes. Let's face it: that's highly unlikely but of course K won't say that and he shouldn't.
I know V. I totally agree. He is going to say we are all about competition and Duke isn't for everyone. Then make Tucker come to him. Those bastards!

But if you talk about how lame it is to follow recruits on social media in a recruiting message board on a thread specifically built to discuss where said recruit will end up... Then you are really cool. Cause he'll either play for Syracuse or he won't.

I understand the nature of the beast .. I guess I don't mean that to sound as harsh as it probably comes across. It's just funny to me how some live and die by the words and actions of a 17 year old. I just wonder where the line gets drawn. What if the prospect is 14? Recruiting creeps me out. I mainly just look at this stuff to monitor the feeling of the board. Hope JT comes to Syracuse - but if he doesn't that's alright. I know most are mature enough on here to understand that but then you have those who tweet a kid and trash his decision and it's all very weird.

So I apologize if I came across as harmful to some! Go Orange!

K will tell him whatever he needs to tell him, to get him to sign on the line which is dotted.

Duke doesn't technically have a stud SF lined up for next year, but you'd imagine they'd probably play a 3-guard mix of PG (Frank Jackson and/or Duval, if they land him), Gary Trent and the Day Tripper for the majority of those minutes.

Every minute Tucker might play, would come from either Trent or Grayson Allen.
And not unlike JB, K likes to play 6.5-7 guys, so it's highly likely Tucker would not get a ton of PT there. Ask Silent G how that goes.

And then get recruited over in 2018, when Dook lands Cam Reddish or similar.

K can be persuasive:
image.jpeg

Duke gets guys into the NBA. This is indisputable. But, without researching, they are usually top 15 recruits to begin with. Grayson Allen was #28 in his class. He is coming back for his senior season with little hope of an NBA career. Malachi Richardson was #35 in his class. He got playing time and exposure at Syracuse and became a one and done first rounder.

Take a look at Duke's bench most years and you'll see it's littered with top recruits who don't get into the games.

Coach K plays 6-7 just like Boeheim.

If he wants immediate PT at a top 10 program, he'll go to Cuse. If he's ok with coming off a short bench and possibly getting recruited over because he wants to go to the top 3 program, he'll go to Duke.

Unless the kid hates su his absolute best chance to make the nba is us.
1: He starts
2: He becomes a primary option
3: We have a great track record of getting kids like him in the league
4: he will not be recruited over
5: he is a huge priority for us vs an afterthought.

Duke gets guys into the NBA. This is indisputable. But, without researching, they are usually top 15 recruits to begin with. Grayson Allen was #28 in his class. He is coming back for his senior season with little hope of an NBA career. Malachi Richardson was #35 in his class. He got playing time and exposure at Syracuse and became a one and done first rounder.

Allen's year to leave was last year. He was ahead of Mali in a lot of mocks. He blew it.

Tucker might ruin his basketball career by going to Duke, but hey he will be set for life. :rolleyes:

Recruiting is a difficult game. You're hedging lots of bets. And I think JB made decent bets actually. It was a very good bet and pretty clear that UK wanted Trae Young over Quade at PG and that Cal usually gets what he wants (but Cal got more aggressive in the late fall with Quade $$ when he realized Young might very well choose to stay home and play at OU). It was also a good bet that Duke would land Knox, so Tucker was a likely possibility to land at Cuse once we jumped back in. In terms of the others, the staff felt confident we could beat out other suitors for O'Connell (until Duke came calling) and Randolph, who was an east coast/Philly kid (until Zona and Book came calling). Should we have offered Isiaiah Washington because he wanted Cuse? In hindsight, maybe. But at the time the staff may have felt Howard was more ready to play PG than he's proven to be so far (in the case of Quade choosing U.K.). And if we got Washington that could hurt us in recruiting a top 25-50 PG in the 2018 class. Ex: If we land Washington, does it hurt us in getting a player like Jalen Carey down the road, who is a better fit for the zone and has a much higher upside? I'm not saying they made the right decisions, but there's so many variables the staff has to calculate that we just aren't privy to.
Agreed 100%

Unless the kid hates su his absolute best chance to make the nba is us.
1: He starts
2: He becomes a primary option
3: We have a great track record of getting kids like him in the league
4: he will not be recruited over
5: he is a huge priority for us vs an afterthought.
One important thing, he will become "a primary option" but not THE primary options. That will be Tyus. The opposing team's best defender will be on Tyus, opening up Tucker for more opportunities. Similar to Malachi's role a couple of years ago.

I am actually kind of excited by the possibility of shutting him down when they play us. Just lock him straight down!

Who am I kidding...he will drain 10 threes and posterize atleast two of our guys.