Class of 2017 - SG/SF Jordan Tucker (NY / GA) Leaving Duke to Butler | Page 138 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 SG/SF Jordan Tucker (NY / GA) Leaving Duke to Butler

Aside from cash and perks like a car, it used to be that kids chose a school based on key factors such as: like the coach, style of play, available PT, close to home or far away from home, TV exposure, etc. Now it seems there is a defined SO (status order) and kids go the highest program on the list that they can, regardless of those old time factors. Just because it means "I've arrived". That order seems to be:
1. UK
2. Duke
3. Kansas
4. Arizona
5. N Carolina

Followed by other schools where several are on the same rung but below The Big Five.

I think SU had more "juice" when we were in the Big East. We were a bigger fish than we are these days in the ACC. Yes, we've been to 2 FF in the last 5 years. But these were upset runs nobody expected. We are not a factor in winning the ACC. And most years we won't be because we are not on the same level as Duke/UNC. (Hurts to say that). I'm worried that our image is becoming a middle of the pack ACC also ran. That's where we've been 3 consecutive years. Looks like another coming. The 17 year old kids we are recruiting have a memory that goes back only 4-5 years realistically. So for these kids already don't view us as we were in the Big East. They see mediocrity in the ACC. Big time concern for our SO.

Aside from cash and perks like a car, it used to be that kids chose a school based on key factors such as: like the coach, style of play, available PT, close to home or far away from home, TV exposure, etc. Now it seems there is a defined SO (status order) and kids go the highest program on the list that they can, regardless of those old time factors. Just because it means "I've arrived". That order seems to be:
1. UK
2. Duke
3. Kansas
4. Arizona
5. N Carolina

Followed by other schools where several are on the same rung but below The Big Five.

I think SU had more "juice" when we were in the Big East. We were a bigger fish than we are these days in the ACC. Yes, we've been to 2 FF in the last 5 years. But these were upset runs nobody expected. We are not a factor in winning the ACC. And most years we won't be because we are not on the same level as Duke/UNC. (Hurts to say that). I'm worried that our image is becoming a middle of the pack ACC also ran. That's where we've been 3 consecutive years. Looks like another coming. The 17 year old kids we are recruiting have a memory that goes back only 4-5 years realistically. So for these kids already don't view us as we were in the Big East. They see mediocrity in the ACC. Big time concern for our SO.

North Carolina has offered 46 top 25 recruits the past 4 years. They've missed on every one.

UK is clearly Tier 1A. Duke 1B. I wouldn't even put the other 3 schools in the same class.

1. UK
2. Duke
3. Kansas
4. Arizona
5. N Carolina

Disagree with most of this. Note that UNC has also suffered from recruiting problems for years because of the cloud of possible sanctions around their program. They've offered 49 kids in the top 25 over the past five cycles and have only landed 3. Kentucky? 25. Duke? 15. But who won the title last year?
Why UNC continues to strike out with top prospects, like Kevin Knox

North Carolina has offered 46 top 25 recruits the past 4 years. They've missed on every one.

UK is clearly Tier 1A. Duke 1B. I wouldn't even put the other 3 schools in the same class.
Kansas is definitely in the same class as far as recruiting goes.

Duke gets guys into the NBA. This is indisputable. But, without researching, they are usually top 15 recruits to begin with. Grayson Allen was #28 in his class. He is coming back for his senior season with little hope of an NBA career. Malachi Richardson was #35 in his class. He got playing time and exposure at Syracuse and became a one and done first rounder.
Because AG stayed too long

1. UK
2. Duke
3. Kansas
4. Arizona
5. N Carolina

As people pointed out, UNC should not be on this list. Arizona is debatable. But of the others - were we regularly beating these program for recruits before we left the Big East? No. And you point out the short memory of recruits but then dismiss our final four runs in that time period. Not very consistent. Realistically, I will bet that a young player who has a 5 year memory is more likely to remember us being in the final four than remembering what our 2014 ACC conference record was.

Kansas is definitely in the same class as far as recruiting goes.

Kansas gets top talent. I'm not denying that, but it's 1 or 2 top 25 guys. They also go after transfers, Euros and program guys to supplement the rest of their roster. Self ain't stupid. He doesn't get involved often when Duke or UK are involved.

This is what the "experts" at 247 (link can not be posted) currently think. Indiana? I hope I'm not in violation of any board rules.

• 1_3645592.png
    50%
  • 1_3571554.gif
    32%
  • 1_20800.gif
    9%
  • 1_4597.gif
    9%

One thing I still don't understand is it sounds like he will get much more playing time here over Duke. I know this has been discussed. I can see him playing 30-35 MPG here, I don't think he exceeds 20 MPG there. Maybe this is my heart instead of my head talking.

While this all seems logical to the average college basketball fan, you have to put yourself in the mindset of a 17 year old who has been the best player on every team he' played on during his entire life. These kids almost all have the attitude of "I'll beat out everyone on the roster and play major minutes as a FR." So all of this rationalizing about playing time and how quickly a program can get a kid into the NBA... the kid simply might not even consider things the way that posters on the board are considering them (even if everything they say/think is true).

Boeheim himself once said "Ask every 8th man on every single top 50 college team what they're going to do for a living and you'll get 50 kids telling you that they're going to play in the NBA."

This is what the "experts" at At their request, this network is being blocked from this site. (link can not be posted) currently think. Indiana? I hope I'm not in violation of any board rules.

• 1_3645592.png
    50%
  • 1_3571554.gif
    32%
  • 1_20800.gif
    9%
  • 1_4597.gif
    9%
What did you write?

I think a censorship filter on this site made his sentence become gibberish.
Not really a censorship filter.

A couple of sites have asked us to disable the ability to post links to their site. We do that by changing references to those sites to something else...in this case, we reference that the reference to the site has been changed as per a request from the people associated with the web site.

A couple of sites have asked us to disable the ability to post links to their site. We do that by changing references to those sites to something else...in this case, we reference that the reference to the site has been changed as per a request from the people associated with the web site.

That has always seemed bizarre to me. You'd think they would want traffic driven to their site rather than have people just talking about their site on another website.

I still believe we have a shot because of playing time, he has to know he's goin to play more at Syracuse , even his father is telling him that I gotta believe

Ahhh - maybe not the best choice of words then...

Completely off topic, but why would they ask for traffic to their site be removed? It seems counterintuitive if you are trying to run a business.