Class of 2017 - SG/SF Jordan Tucker (NY / GA) Leaving Duke to Butler | Page 150 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 SG/SF Jordan Tucker (NY / GA) Leaving Duke to Butler

I agree with most of those points, but understand why they go there for their career.

1- practically Ivy League education if u stay
2- incredible legacy
3-top coach who's also Team USA coach
4- get to play and practice with top players in country
5- gods on campus
6- gorgeous campus
7- rabid fan base
8- ridiculous media attention/bias
Hate Duke but got to acknowledge why players go there

1- practically Ivy League education if u stay
2- incredible legacy
3-top coach who's also Team USA coach
4- get to play and practice with top players in country
5- gods on campus
6- gorgeous campus
7- rabid fan base
8- ridiculous media attention/bias
That rapid fan base is very small in the North Carolina area.

Yep its easy to see why kids go there but I can't figure out how K manages to get guys to go there when its easy to see they are behind either returning guys or incoming top 20ish recruits. He does it consistently and it rarely works out well for the 4-star 30-60ish ranged kid. Mostly they last a season or two before transferring. I think K is one of the few coaches that would play an even shorter bench than Jimmy if he felt the drop in playing level after the 6th guy was too much.

Moved to NC 7 years ago. The Duke fan base does seem pretty small here, especially compared to UNC.

That's interesting because they have a huge national following much like the Cowboys. But ask a Cowboy fan or Duke fan why they are fans and a vast majority do not have family or geographic connections like a majority fans do for their teams.

Moved to NC 7 years ago. The Duke fan base does seem pretty small here, especially compared to UNC.
Duke has a smaller NC fanbase than NC State

It's fanbase is more national than local.

In Charlotte here it's
1. UNC
2. NC State
3. South Carolina
4. Clemson
5. App State
6. Davidson
T.7. West and East Carolina
9. Duke.

That's interesting because they have a huge national following much like the Cowboys. But ask a Cowboy fan or Duke fan why they are fans and a vast majority do not have family or geographic connections like a majority fans do for their teams.

So, why are you a Duke fan, anyway?

th.jpg

They aren't an elite program. Their fanbase is apathetic. Syracuse has stanfard expectations of being relevant. Thus Tucker means more to Syracuse than to Georgia Tech.

I wonder which existence is sadder

Duke has a smaller NC fanbase than NC State

It's fanbase is more national than local.

In Charlotte here it's
1. UNC
2. NC State
3. South Carolina
4. Clemson
5. App State
6. Davidson
T.7. West and East Carolina
9. Duke.
Nc state and UNC are way larger than Duke in terms of fans I've come across during my time here in raleigh

Nc state and UNC are way larger than Duke in terms of fans I've come across during my time here in raleigh

The student body make ups are significantly different.

NC State and UNC are both ~30K student campuses with 80-85% of students from in state.

Duke is half the size with 80-85% of students from out-of-state. That's obviously going to impact the local fanbase demographics.

It's like that old college game day quote (paraphrasing): On Monday morning UNC students talk about the past weekend's game, while Duke students talk about how their home was in the background of the Sopranos.

Something to keep in mind.

Assuming Frank Jackson stays, Duke has 3 scholarships left.

They are still after Duval, Bamba and UConn transfer Juwan Durham.

I am sure they want Duval and Bamba more than JT. They might want Durham more too. Could they be slow playing him until they know if they have room for him?

Jackson's decision will probably be the first domino to fall. That should happen shortly.

If he doesn't verbal soon, I would guess that is what is going on.

I am sure they want Duval and Bamba more than JT. They might want Durham more too. Could they be slow playing him until they know if they have room for him?

Jackson's decision will probably be the first domino to fall. That should happen shortly.

Good points...wonder if they gave him like a verbal offer as in...we want you but have to wait to see if we will have room for you or Not? I guess if he leaves there uncommitted it's a good thing. I would have to think at this point in the game tho that they are trying to get him to sign on the dotted line. Is it much of a difference if they get duval/bamba/Tucker vs duval/bamba/Durham? And I think most believe Jackson stays but if he does go that leaves them with 4 so they could take all of them potentially.

The term is FRONTRUNNER ...

Jackson staying and Duval signing is the most likely scenario.

Don't think Bamba ends up at Duke. They already have Carter and Bolden.

K never plays bigs as it is.

ND.

1- practically Ivy League education if u stay no 4/5 star BB player is going to sniff any difficult academics (they're looking for the easiest courses to pass to move on to pro ball)
2- incredible legacy bounced in the 2nd round by SC, plus ignominious NCAA losses in recent years to Lehigh and Mercer
3-top coach who's also Team USA coach JB and Hop have the same medals and photos
4- get to play and practice with top players in country not rarified air. plenty of practice challenge at SU
5- gods on campus star athletes are BMOC's wherever they attend
6- gorgeous campus small, dumpy BB arena
7- rabid fan base I'd go with "overinvested"
8- ridiculous media attention/bias and you're buying into it

Last edited:
Boy what a troll, Cuse made the final 4 less than two years ago, duke got bounced by SC in the second round this year, last i checked they were a7 seed, not really a top seed.
Ya. I still can't believe some of us are supporting these passing trolls. Who's got the troll-be-gone? I'm all out. Only aerosol left. :)

Believe me I am not a Duke advocate but it is what it is and get your point

I know a decent amount of "Duke fans" who have zero connections to the school or area. Every single one of them is a tool. That seems to be the common uniting factor of Duke fans nationwide.

Is it just jealousy with the ones that think Syracuse is currently a superior option to Duke? For any real college bball fan, going to a game at Cameron Indoor is the Holy Grail.

Believe me I am not a Duke advocate but it is what it is and get your point
Nothing personal ... and Duke's a quality program, no doubt. But obviously the hype's over the top with the fan base. The real question Tucker's probably struggling with is ... when the ferry-dust settles, how much PT is he going to get? He'd probably start and fill a vital role at SU .. and come off the bench at Duke with other (equal or higher-ranked) players in front of him. Even if he's confident that he could "play" at Duke, starting - and shining -- at SU is arguably the best way to maximize his exposure. I'm guessing that's his calculus right now.