Class of 2017 - SG/SF Jordan Tucker (NY / GA) Leaving Duke to Butler | Page 55 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 SG/SF Jordan Tucker (NY / GA) Leaving Duke to Butler

You don't understand how not being able to field a roster with personnel well suited for all of the positions is a significant problem? If Tucker [for example] chooses to play elsewhere, then our roster as currently constituted wouldn't have a true small forward on next year's squad, and would likely have to resort to pursuing a band aid via the 5th year transfer option.

I think it is dumb to knock the other schools. There are a variety of reasons why an athlete might choose to go to Oregon or even Georgia Tech instead of here. But our basic inability to land prospects at key positions of need and perpetually getting locked into focusing only on one target while other targets are out there is a problem.

Keep in mind that heading into the class of 2017, everyone knew / understood well in advance that this was an important class, and that we needed to stock up on the perimeter positions. Right now, we've got half the class filled, half of the available scholarships still unclaimed, and the two guys we lined up in November both project as bigs, not wings / guards. Howard Washington was a nice depth pick-up. But who starts at 1 and 3 next season?

I hope that we land both Tucker and Ayala--I really do. That group would a really nice class, and plug most if not all of our roster's holes. But the fact that neither of these guys has committed, and that we're seemingly all in on both of them [yet again] is worrisome. And in the case of Ayala -- I would love to land this kid. But it is frustrating that an unprecedented number of top 100 point guards have shaken loose this spring, and we haven't pursued actively any of them in lieu of focusing exclusively on Ayala. Hope it pans out, because if not we made the same mistake we made with Green.

I'm not disagreeing with what you've been saying. As I attempted to say, our philosophy is the problem, not necessarily the actual program. I have no idea what JB is doing going after 1 kid at each position. It's flat out silly, IMO. I've said that, like numerous others have. I hate how this program has recruited, how they only recruit specific types of players from specific areas, and now it's getting even more questionable. I'm just saying that if they choose elsewhere, it doesn't necessarily have to be a knock on Syracuse.

Guard play fuels college basketball, yet Syracuse seems to refuse to get with the program. Our best years have been mostly lead by terrific PG's. Yet, that position remains an afterthought. The current team is going to be awful on offense, barring some miraculous improvement, so a Tucker is obviously a monster recruit to get. Overlooking, or not even bothering with any of the guards that recently became available is flat out insane to me, especially with who we have penciled in at PG.

I don't disagree with any of it. I just think a kid choosing another school that he feels is best for him doesn't have to be a knock on SU.

How long have you been following them? Oregon has been really good for a while. Altman has won at least 21 games every year he has been there since 2010. He hasn't finished worse than 3rd in the PAC 12 any year besides his first and has made the tourmanent 5 years in a row winning at least one game each time. He has won nearly 70% of his games in conference and still only has Joe Young in the NBA. I like their program, but they aren't creating NBA draft picks like Syracuse. If you want to go to the Association you don't pick them over us.

Not being a with this question but does putting guys like Ennis, Grant, CMac & Malachi into the league really resonate that much with kids when none of them are making any impact whatsoever (besides Tyler ruining the Lakers tank)? I would think they are a positive for sure but also not certain its this huge hang your hat on point that folks here think it is. Sure thats the endgame every recruit is hoping for but they're also imagining themselves to be quite better than end of the bench nobodies in the league.

I like their program, but they aren't creating NBA draft picks like Syracuse. If you want to go to the Association you don't pick them over us.
Eh, that Ducks program is on the upswing, Altman's recruiting classes are getting better and he is going to start putting more kids in the league. He's getting top-15 classes now and has a McD's AA coming in. They land Tucker and they'll have a top ~5-7 class. And they, unlike other programs, have the ambition and funds to recruit nationally.

7A3E03E5-636E-4530-A552-4C58CFCBB64D-940-000000DF633451E1.jpeg
Eh, that Ducks program is on the upswing, Altman's recruiting classes are getting better and he is going to start putting more kids in the league. He's getting top-15 classes now and has a McD's AA coming in. They land Tucker and they'll have a top ~5-7 class. And they, unlike other programs, have the ambition and funds to recruit nationally.

Don't bother trying to make sense. This is pretty cool too. We need locker room upgrades badly!

First round picks since 2003

Oregon: Aaron Brooks, Luke Rindour, Luke Jackson

Syracuse. Carmelo Anthony, Donte Green, Jonny Flynn, Wes Johnson, Dion Waiters, Fab Melo, Michael Carter-Williams, Tyler Ennis, Chris McCollough, Malachi Richardson

I think we win.

I'm not arguing Oregon isn't good, but Tyler Dorsey was a top 30 player and isn't even projected as a second rounder. Tyler Lydon was 75th. I'm not sure what it is but our lower ranked guys sure do well for themselves.

First round picks since 2003

Oregon: Aaron Brooks, Luke Rindour, Luke Jackson

Syracuse. Carmelo Anthony, Donte Green, Jonny Flynn, Wes Johnson, Dion Waiters, Fab Melo, Michael Carter-Williams, Tyler Ennis, Chris McCollough, Malachi Richardson

I think we win.

Not to mention Hakim Warrick (who went to Syracuse, not Princeton).

If you want to be a lottery pick, go to SU.

There's zero arguing that, given the options.

Can argue about getting drafted all you want. Want to get paid and have an opportunity to be a great? The dome.

I can see it both ways. A.) Recruits are getting to the league pretty regularly from SU. Usually sooner than later. B.) Doesn't really matter since they aren't really doing anything or getting any run in the pros.

I really don't know. What I think cannot be overstated though is the all zone 100% and how this factors in with some if not all of these early entrants of ours bolting prematurely year after year it seems.

Not being a with this question but does putting guys like Ennis, Grant, CMac & Malachi into the league really resonate that much with kids when none of them are making any impact whatsoever (besides Tyler ruining the Lakers tank)? I would think they are a positive for sure but also not certain its this huge hang your hat on point that folks here think it is. Sure thats the endgame every recruit is hoping for but they're also imagining themselves to be quite better than end of the bench nobodies in the league.
I think a recruit stops at first round draft pick. They don't care what happens with the player beyond that. They're confident in their own ability.

Not sure how that's relevant to first round draft picks btwn Syracuse and Oregon but go ahead and educate me.

As Francis says, can't argue with the folks with the shades on. 18 year olds don't give a crap it Flynn was pickedin the lotto when they were 9. Can probably be negative recruited against just as hard for the failure of our guys to ever become anything, can blame jbs system for it.

Georgetown had an NBA all star for like 15 years in a row between Ewing, Mourning, Iverson did that help them with recruiting?
No.
Getting players drafted is all that can be put on the program. Duke has had tons of flameouts in the NBA it doesn't hurt them.

Georgetown kept getting big time recruits for a while because of that and just crapped the bed when the big east died. Duke is Duke and in a different world then we are. They don't sweat on selection sunday.

I was going to say...gtown has gotten some pretty big recruits and only has stopped a bit since their conference went to crap/them not making the tourny/flaming out in the tourny

Regardless, I would take their last 5 years & next 5 years over ours. Hopefully Tucker & Ayala want to stay east though and are simply impressed by nba draft picks and not by league success.

That's fine but that's entirely different from what you started out with.

He's supposed to visit Oregon and people are concerned because Dorsey signed an agent and declared.
I'll be more concerned if/when Brooks declares.

Dorsey is a pure SG, Tucker seems like a prototypical SF...the position Brooks plays (and the McD AA they have coming in plays)...