Shafer Dismissed per SI | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Shafer Dismissed per SI

FootballScoop Staff ‏@FootballScoop 2m2 minutes ago
Syracuse has BC this weekend. Senior Day. What good does firing Shafer do now vs after the game?

FootballScoop Staff ‏@FootballScoop 3m3 minutes ago
No reason AD couldn’t have already begun “the search” without firing him today. Don’t get it.
I don't think it was the plan to announce it until after BC. I think Shafer knew, and they wanted to keep it quiet. But it leaked out early.

5 weeks ago i truly felt that HCSS and his staff would pull out a bowl win 7 or more games and get an extension. The VA and Pitt losses sealed his fate. But for a couple of breaks i believe that he would have been retained.

Having watched the season unfold it became clear that the upside to this staff was limited. I do believe with time that they would get us to a bowl most years but that he didnt have the ability to take us to the next level. With the ACC, IPF, Dome remodel there is no reason that we cant become the dominant program in the East. The Dome provides us with a unique advantage one that needs to be taken advantage of and i believe that Mark sees that vision.

I really liked HCSS felt that he was as good as they get as a person. He will land on his feat and go end up doing great things. I see his next stop as a DC for one of the new job openings and i see his final stop being the head coach of a team in the MAC. I wish these guys nothing but the best.

Go Orange!!

First and foremost, I'm very disappointed for this staff. I know first hand how hard they work at what they do. I'm sincerely upset that they weren't able to accomplish what they've tried to accomplish here.

I've been in film sessions with them, clinics and conferences. They allowed me to come and observe whatever practices I ever asked to come to. They've been extremely cordial and helped teach me many things that I didn't know beforehand. They always had an open door policy if you called or emailed. They are guys that if you were having a barbecue, could sit down and talk with all your guests as if they'd known them for the past decade. When I accepted a college coaching offer, some of them were the first ones to congratulate me. It's disappointing. The thing most people will not think about is the fact that their lives are going to be completely up-rooted. The response will be, well they were paid a hefty sum. So what, it doesn't change the fact that you have to move your whole family. That's hard for anyone regardless of money.

I'll root for them wherever they go. They were the first staff that ever offered me the opportunities they did because they wanted to help teach a young coach looking to develop. They're far better men than most here will ever realize.

This, regardless of the situation, is going to be very interesting for the next few months. I hope that Mr. Coyle knows what he wants and already is confident that he'll get it.

How soon do we seen any of the current recruits decommit?

Better question, how long before the new head coach brings in a couple of new recruits who he already has relationships with? Fortunately, the decision-makers didn't let the current recruiting class have much of a bearing on the decision-making process.

This is a time of hope.

Better question, how long before the new head coach brings in a couple of new recruits who he already has relationships with? Fortunately, the decision-makers didn't let the current recruiting class have much of a bearing on the decision-making process.

This is a time of hope.
Not really a better question. Not much left out there for a new coach to get. We really need to hang on to the top players in this class.

First and foremost, I'm very disappointed for this staff. I know first hand how hard they work at what they do. I'm sincerely upset that they weren't able to accomplish what they've tried to accomplish here.

I've been in film sessions with them, clinics and conferences. They allowed me to come and observe whatever practices I ever asked to come to. They've been extremely cordial and helped teach me many things that I didn't know beforehand. They always had an open door policy if you called or emailed. They are guys that if you were having a barbecue, could sit down and talk with all your guests as if they'd known them for the past decade. When I accepted a college coaching offer, some of them were the first ones to congratulate me. It's disappointing. The thing most people will not think about is the fact that their lives are going to be completely up-rooted. The response will be, well they were paid a hefty sum. So what, it doesn't change the fact that you have to move your whole family. That's hard for anyone regardless of money.

I'll root for them wherever they go. They were the first staff that ever offered me the opportunities they did because they wanted to help teach a young coach looking to develop. They're far better men than most here will ever realize.

This, regardless of the situation, is going to be very interesting for the next few months. I hope that Mr. Coyle knows what he wants and already is confident that he'll get it.

Very nice post, Finwad.

Most fans are ready for a change, and this wasn't unexpected, but nobody should be "happy" today about Scott Shafer being dismissed. In every way except on the field, he was just about best case scenario for our program. Too bad he couldn't get it done.

For as shittty as this is, and it really is, time for Coyle to step up and make a splash hire that will reinvigorate the fan base.

This community needs Syracuse football to be good again. It's been way too long.

With that being said, I can't help but have this empty feeling in my stomach. Just feel awful for all of these guys.

We (as fans) and they (as administrators) can talk all they want about what's "really important" in college athletics, such as building young men and women, learning team work, earning degrees, etc., but it really is just about money and fans feeling good about themselves because their team beat someone else's team. Shame on all of us.

Finwad32 said:
First and foremost, I'm very disappointed for this staff. I know first hand how hard they work at what they do. I'm sincerely upset that they weren't able to accomplish what they've tried to accomplish here. I've been in film sessions with them, clinics and conferences. They allowed me to come and observe whatever practices I ever asked to come to. They've been extremely cordial and helped teach me many things that I didn't know beforehand. They always had an open door policy if you called or emailed. They are guys that if you were having a barbecue, could sit down and talk with all your guests as if they'd known them for the past decade. When I accepted a college coaching offer, some of them were the first ones to congratulate me. It's disappointing. The thing most people will not think about is the fact that their lives are going to be completely up-rooted. The response will be, well they were paid a hefty sum. So what, it doesn't change the fact that you have to move your whole family. That's hard for anyone regardless of money. I'll root for them wherever they go. They were the first staff that ever offered me the opportunities they did because they wanted to help teach a young coach looking to develop. They're far better men than most here will ever realize. This, regardless of the situation, is going to be very interesting for the next few months. I hope that Mr. Coyle knows what he wants and already is confident that he'll get it.

Great post man.

Good luck to Coach Shafer and his staff.

I wish him all the best, I really had hoped he would have been able to make it work.

Time for Coyle to right the ship here - it will be an interesting next few months for football once the dome reno is announced

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom