Shafer Impressive During Presser | Syracusefan.com

Shafer Impressive During Presser

I agree.

I loved how he again opened a presser talking about past players, in this case the story from last night with Arthur Jones.

I have a feeling that we will see a lot of past players at games on the sidelines and whatnot from now on. This will be great for the program.

I think he was more impressive introducing the new staff today than he was during his own introduction.
Seemed less nervous IMO, and understandably so. All the guys I've heard so far can talk the talk, sounds like they know what they're doing and have hit the ground running. Funny that the DC came across as affable, while the OC seemed pretty stern and imposing.

Its only a presser, so it means nada, but he certainly has a commanding presence about him. Fits the part of the head football coach of a D-I program.

And it helps that we have built a really, really impressive staff to this point.

Just watched the presser. I am very impressed with how he carries himself. I really hope he understands to let in the fans. That needs to start with a signing day event and have full spring practice open. I think we have a great recruiting staff, the next few weeks could be very interesting.

I was impressed by the interviews with all the coaches, but the one that stood out the most (in the supplement video on SUA Showcase) was Tim Lester. The guy waxed poetic about the quarterbacking position and how they are going to ease the QB into the role, whoever it is. If you have access to the pay side of showcase watch it.

Seemed less nervous IMO, and understandably so. All the guys I've heard so far can talk the talk, sounds like they know what they're doing and have hit the ground running. Funny that the DC came across as affable, while the OC seemed pretty stern and imposing.

I had same reaction.

OC comes off as tough and imposing. Seems very competent.

Apparently, lots of testosterone in this group - Lex Luthor would fit in well with these guys!

I thought McDonald looked a little tense. But I'm sure he will relax once he gets comfortable with his role.

Any word on candidates for S&C coach?

I thought McDonald looked a little tense. But I'm sure he will relax once he gets comfortable with his role.
I think he was tense in the beginning of his statement but the man has a presence about him. Sooner or later, I think Coach McDonald lands himself a HC gig. He is very impression.

Shafer was way more relaxed today and there wasn't any rah rah comments that some people got bent out of shape about during his introductory pc.

He did fire off another nice quote though when he said "scheme is overrated".

My impression of Bollough was that he was nervous and didn't want to be in front of the mic. Did anyone catch his stumbling over defensive scheme when talking about the 4/3. He tripped over his words a bit when discussing what they won't run. No big deal but sorta came across as him not knowing what he was talking about.

I do worry that we won't see the same aggressive attacking defensive style. If we go conservative at any point I'll cry. Jesse Palmer hit the nail on the head with our defense during the pinstripe bowl when he said (to paraphrase) our defense is so tough because we attack/pressure/blitz from all over the field at every position. We don't trend our pressure either meaning we'll bring it from anywhere on the field at any down and distance. Our D is hard to prepare for because of this.

Shafer was way more relaxed today and there wasn't any rah rah comments that some people got bent out of shape about during his introductory pc.

He did fire off another nice quote though when he said "scheme is overrated".

My impression of Bollough was that he was nervous and didn't want to be in front of the mic. Did anyone catch his stumbling over defensive scheme when talking about the 4/3. He tripped over his words a bit when discussing what they won't run. No big deal but sorta came across as him not knowing what he was talking about.

I do worry that we won't see the same aggressive attacking defensive style. If we go conservative at any point I'll cry. Jesse Palmer hit the nail on the head with our defense during the pinstripe bowl when he said (to paraphrase) our defense is so tough because we attack/pressure/blitz from all over the field at every position. We don't trend our pressure either meaning we'll bring it from anywhere on the field at any down and distance. Our D is hard to prepare for because of this.

I don't worry about coaches that don't want to be in front of cameras. Most of them don't. It's a little more concerning for a HC, but not for a coordinator or position guy. I can't imagine that our D will change much, not considering who our HC is. I imagine for gameplanning and gameday calls, Shafer will still be very involved on that side of the ball.

I'm not really worried about offense either, but worried more there than D. First time OC, all new staff except for 1 guy. And a HC who has spent all of his recent history on the other side of the ball. So there's some experience lacking. I think Lester is a home run hire here, which will be a big help.

I don't worry about coaches that don't want to be in front of cameras. Most of them don't. It's a little more concerning for a HC, but not for a coordinator or position guy. I can't imagine that our D will change much, not considering who our HC is. I imagine for gameplanning and gameday calls, Shafer will still be very involved on that side of the ball.

I'm not really worried about offense either, but worried more there than D. First time OC, all new staff except for 1 guy. And a HC who has spent all of his recent history on the other side of the ball. So there's some experience lacking. I think Lester is a home run hire here, which will be a big help.
I agree there is more to worry about with McDonald, but he was the OC for Western Michigan from 2005-2006. This won't be his first rodeo as an OC.

I agree there is more to worry about with McDonald, but he was the OC for Western Michigan from 2005-2006. This won't be his first rodeo as an OC.

Good point, forgot about that. And they had a good year on offense in 2005. 2006 looked like a QB injury if I recall, but I didn't completely research it.

I had same reaction.

OC comes off as tough and imposing. Seems very competent.

Agree. It was hard to hear the questions being asked (at least on my machine), but I liked when he stepped in to talk about JUCOs. "Yeah, I'll take this one". Thought he did a good job.

I think he was more impressive introducing the new staff today than he was during his own introduction.

Shafer has always done well with this kind of stuff.

Good point, forgot about that. And they had a good year on offense in 2005. 2006 looked like a QB injury if I recall, but I didn't completely research it.
Lotta points!

RECORD: 7-4
9-3-05 at Virginia LOST 19-31
9-10-05 at Toledo LOST 23-56
9-17-05 SOUTHERN ILLINOIS WON 34-28
9-24-05 at Temple WON 19-16
10-1-05 BUFFALO WON 31-21
10-8-05 BALL STATE LOST 57-60 (5OT)
10-22-05 at Bowling Green WON 45-14
10-29-05 KENT STATE WON 44-14
11-5-05 at Eastern Michigan WON 44-36
11-12-05 CENTRAL MICHIGAN WON 31-24
11-23-05 at Northern Illinois (Wed.) LOST 7-42

Lotta points!

RECORD: 7-4
9-3-05 at Virginia LOST 19-31
9-10-05 at Toledo LOST 23-56
9-17-05 SOUTHERN ILLINOIS WON 34-28
9-24-05 at Temple WON 19-16
10-1-05 BUFFALO WON 31-21
10-8-05 BALL STATE LOST 57-60 (5OT)
10-22-05 at Bowling Green WON 45-14
10-29-05 KENT STATE WON 44-14
11-5-05 at Eastern Michigan WON 44-36
11-12-05 CENTRAL MICHIGAN WON 31-24
11-23-05 at Northern Illinois (Wed.) LOST 7-42

I think it's a good measure to see how they did against their peer schools. I figure that's who they generally recruit against so the talent level is more even across the board.

That's what I thought - that he had been an OC for awhile.

But during his press conference he talked about working his whole career with the goal of getting an OC position.

I was a bit confused by that.

I guess he meant getting back to an OC position.

That's what I thought - that he had been an OC for awhile.

But during his press conference he talked about working his whole career with the goal of getting an OC position.

I was a bit confused by that.

I guess he meant getting back to an OC position.

My guess is that since it was only 2 years, and it was working under an offensive minded HC, he may not have a had the full responsibilities that the title can bring. Now, it's his ship to run. I believe Shafer even said in his initial PC, that he didn't expect to spend more time than necessary with the offense.

I kept asking during the hiring/pillaging process, especially after Anselmo was poached, "but ... who's going to recruit". Then mcdonald appeared in the discussion -- with a specialty in South Florida no less.

If he's the RC ... prayer answered. Send him to South Florida with a credit card. This is a critical time in the program's history -- we either continue our "roll"/upward trajectory, or let the turmoil left by Marrone set us back. One of the big answers to this question will be the recruits we bring in.

I kept asking during the hiring/pillaging process, especially after Anselmo was poached, "but ... who's going to recruit". Then mcdonald appeared in the discussion -- with a specialty in South Florida no less.

If he's the RC ... prayer answered. Send him to South Florida with a credit card. This is a critical time in the program's history -- we either continue our "roll"/upward trajectory, or let the turmoil left by Marrone set us back. One of the big answers to this question will be the recruits we bring in.

Pillage/poach, turmoil, set back.

This stuff is so over the top.

The guys that Shafer has hired are the guys he would have gone after if he was going to put together a staff at another school. He's managing it very well, just as was expected.

As Shafer said, it's the nature of the industry.

Is the it really the assertion that but for Marrone hiring them they would all still be here. Awfully big assumption.

How do we know what Anselmo's plans were. Maybe he was going to retire if he didn't go to Buffalo. It looks like Adkins was leaving regardless.

Is the it really the assertion that but for Marrone hiring them they would all still be here. Awfully big assumption.
Go, you need to realize...

Marrone's fall from grace is a galvanizing event for the fan base, and creates a stronger rally point behind Shafer.

For a while it served (some of) the fanbase to put Marrone on a pedestal.

Now it serves (some of the fanbase) to tear him down.

It's like when you go through a break up. You don't reminisce about the good times when it ends. You villainize the other person because it makes it easier to move.

The guys that Shafer has hired are the guys he would have gone after if he was going to put together a staff at another school. He's managing it very well, just as was expected.

As Shafer said, it's the nature of the industry.

How do we know what Anselmo's plans were. Maybe he was going to retire if he didn't go to Buffalo. It looks like Adkins was leaving regardless.

As a Syracuse fan, I feel good that Shafer is getting coaches here that he is comfortable with.

As a Bills fan, if I wasn't already used to such consistent disappointment, I'd probably find it scary that jobs may be handed out as pension favors.

Hackett of course is the exception, one that hopefully doesn't become lose/lose as a fan of both teams.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom