Shafer new DC at Maryland | Syracusefan.com

Shafer new DC at Maryland

I guess it depends what he wants to do next. If he wants to be a HC he will probably have to drop down a division. It he wants to be a DC he will have plenty of opportunities this year or next.

Can he work somewhere else in 2016 and still get the money owed to him from SU?

Is he that untouchable that he couldnt get a MAC HC job? If so, seems to me that Bowling Green may have an opening. ;)

Seriously though, he's an Ohio native and has roots in the MAC. They could do a lot worse. Hope Shafe lands on his feet and gets another head gig and kills it.

On a side note, I guess its about time I change my avatar.

I guess it depends what he wants to do next. If he wants to be a HC he will probably have to drop down a division. It he wants to be a DC he will have plenty of opportunities this year or next.
I think he'd be great in a lower division. He runs a clean program and his kids do well in school (not to mention they love him). I bet parents trust him as well. Like others have said, I wish only the best for him.

If he is ok being a DC again I could see him at Michigan, Illinois or Maryland. If he wants to wait for another HC gig, a MAC school makes sense to me. Sitting out a year waiting for that and making $1.4 mil isn't a bad thing.

If he is ok being a DC again I could see him at Michigan, Illinois or Maryland. If he wants to wait for another HC gig, a MAC school makes sense to me. Sitting out a year waiting for that and making $1.4 mil isn't a bad thing.
Exactly, if he wants to go back to being a DC, there'll be no shortage of opportunities. The question is, does he want to do that?

Michigan seems like the most logical fit.

Would Marrone look to rehire him if he gets another NFL Gig? I mean maybe he too has NFL aspirations. Marrone is going to find himself in the running for one of these Cleveland/San Diego/SF gigs that are opening up.

I saw Grandpa Pasqualoni w JJ Watt yesterday. Guy looked so happy.

SS is beyond qualified for a DC position. I am more interested in where his assistants end up. If they end up at P5 schools in similar positions then the staff wasn't in over their head. I think Daoust will be fine and I hope we keep Acosta.

Not sure about the rest. SS to Illinois makes the most sense. Harbaugh is not probably going to remain at Michigan that much longer.

I'll be shocked if he gets a DC role at a P5 school next year.
He will either be a HC or a DC next year. DC is the worst case scenario. Although he said after the BC game that he would like to go back to his roots, being a DC, didn't matter where or what level. He loves coaching defense.

SS is beyond qualified for a DC position. I am more interested in where his assistants end up. If they end up at P5 schools in similar positions then the staff wasn't in over their head. I think Daoust will be fine and I hope we keep Acosta.

Not sure about the rest. SS to Illinois makes the most sense. Harbaugh is not probably going to remain at Michigan that much longer.
where is Harbaugh going?

where is Harbaugh going?
Back to the NFL. Look at the SF 49ers without him. If he could go the Colts this offseason he probably would. He can't leave Michigan after 1 year. He won't be longterm at Michigan.

He didn't want to leave the NFL last year but went back to Michigan for insane money.

He will have a ton of options, this year or next but I don't see Shafer taking a year off. Both his kids are done with HS at the end of the year. Empty nest with not much holding him anywhere at this point, really the next chapter is wide open.

If you read the twitter leafes it appears that Smith is working on getting a position at Mizzou.

Back to the NFL. Look at the SF 49ers without him. If he could go the Colts this offseason he probably would. He can't leave Michigan after 1 year. He won't be longterm at Michigan.

He didn't want to leave the NFL last year but went back to Michigan for insane money.

He will be the first call every NFL team makes from now until he actually leaves Michigan, crazy not too.

Shafer will land a nice gig AND still make his Syracuse money this year. I know he still wants to be here, but that's one hell of a consolation prize.

Shafer is very well-respected amongst the coaching community. For anyone to think otherwise is silly. He has developed relationships with many people obviously due to his personality, but also because his attacking style of defense is not common and can really cause fits when properly executed. Dabo always hated going against a Shafer D because it really brought a ton of different pressure that was hard to gameplan for. Do not be surprised to see Shafe land a big P5 DC job (Michigan, Illinois, etc) or a HC gig (MAC, CUSA).

I mean, imagine seeing Shafer's D with athletes from schools like Michigan or Clemson. It would be very successful.

He will either be a HC or a DC next year. DC is the worst case scenario. Although he said after the BC game that he would like to go back to his roots, being a DC, didn't matter where or what level. He loves coaching defense.
Why? He's extremely well respected in the industry for his defensive background. Shocked because he won't be a HC?

There are currently 4-5 D1 openings that are unfilled. Wouldn't you be shocked to see him at Tulane, Bowling Green, East Carolina or somewhere else? He may very well get the opportunity to be a HC, but I can't think of many unsuccessful P5 coaches getting D1 offers immediately following their termination.

As for the DC gig, I admittedly typed that while forgetting about the Cubit situation. If that doesn't open up, I agree that he may very well be a DC somewhere next year, but I don't see it at a P5 School. I hope I am wrong.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom