Shafer vs. Marrone's approach to recruiting | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Shafer vs. Marrone's approach to recruiting

Damn right I am talking about consensus 4 star players. Morgan was a 3 star for probably 95% of the time he was being recruited. You are missing the big picture here kid. Keep digging and digging until your heart's content and when you feel proud that you find a 3 star who was switched to 4 in the 11th hour, give yourself a nice big pat on your back. Just too funny. How's that SU bib? Clean up that sauce kid.
KJB...this guy needs a vacation.

A 4 Star recruit now only means a consensus 4 star recruit, specifically out of the NYC area. Didn't you know that? :crazy:
Also needs to hold that 4 star rating through the entire recruiting period (i.e., based on junior year stats and camps). Upgrades due to senior year accomplishments, additional offers, or late evaluations by the sites don't count.

Ok you guys win... Marrone was an ass-kicking recruiter who broke through and consistently grabbed elite recruits. So sorry I disparaged him in any way. I will pay homage to him by erecting a shrine in my basement later today. Time to grow up and stomach some criticism here and there. You look like babies otherwise. Wipe that sauce off your SU bibs.

Funny thing is, I never criticized the program, just Marrone's ability to get 4 star recruits, and instead of seeing the bigger picture, we get like three clowns going on a wild, desperate goose chase looking for three recruits who weren't even consensus 4 star recruits. It's just too freaking funny. Priceless.

Ok you guys win... Marrone was an ass-kicking recruiter who broke through and consistently grabbed elite recruits. So sorry I disparaged him in any way. I will pay homage to him by erecting a shrine in my basement later today. Time to grow up and stomach some criticism here and there. You look like babies otherwise. Wipe that sauce off your SU bibs.

Funny thing is, I never criticized the program, just Marrone's ability to get 4 star recruits, and instead of seeing the bigger picture, we get like three clowns going on a wild, desperate goose chase looking for three recruits who weren't even consensus 4 star recruits. It's just too freaking funny. Priceless.

Actually, you are the one acting like a freaking baby. The fact of the matter is that Marrone did a solid job recruiting, regardless of what the star system suggested about the classes he brought in. The team got significantly bigger, stronger, and faster under his four year tenure--which directly translated into the team being more competitive on the field.

Would it have been nice to land a bunch of 4- or 5-star recruits? Sure. But the program was not in a position to have a shot at those caliber of guys [Ishaq being the lone "elite recruit" we could have legitimately landed].

The biggest factor in recruiting blue chip prospects has everything to do with wins, losses, and public perception of the program. Marrone did a LOT to improve the state of our program, and was just getting to the point where perception might have tipped in favor of us landing more blue chippers. You're criticism of his recruiting is not only off-target, it focuses on the wrong things.

There are alot of 4 star kids who flame out to but it's rarely talked about or reported.

Jacoby Brissett was a 4 star QB at Florida. He's transferring to NC State because he's buried on the Florida depth chart.

Look over the Rutgers roster for the past few years.

Rashad Knight was a 4 star kid at Rutgers in 2010. I don't think he's on the team anymore.

Savon Huggins another 4 star kid at Rutgers enters his junior year having rushed for about 1000 yards in 2 years averaging 3.0 yards per carry. Not really lighting it up; he was supposed to be the second coming.

Miles Shuler another 4 star kid at Rutgers hasn't done jack in two years.

Two Rutgers 4 stars who clearly flamed out. Tom Savage (elite 11 QB) and RB DeAntwan Williams finished his career at 1AA.

They have some hits in Vallone, Logan Ryan and maybe you can throw in Brandon Coleman because he's so imposing but he drops a lot of footballs.

Just looking at Rutgers roster alone the percentage of accurately rating a 4 star kid is way below 50%
Phat, to be fair, you are analyzing a problem with two independent variables. Maybe all this suggests is that Rutgers is a talent sink.

Phat, to be fair, you are analyzing a problem with two independent variables. Maybe all this suggests is that Rutgers is a talent sink.

Yup I agree on both your points.

Actually, you are the one acting like a freaking baby. The fact of the matter is that Marrone did a solid job recruiting, regardless of what the star system suggested about the classes he brought in. The team got significantly bigger, stronger, and faster under his four year tenure--which directly translated into the team being more competitive on.
Dude, are you really this freaking stupid or what?! Holy crap, talk about a lack of reading comprehension you sure take the cake. Let me spell it out for you kid because apparently you are too stupid to pick up on it through your orange colored glasses.

The entire premise of my post is my belief that Shafer turns the corner and is able to get the elusive, elite recruits Marrone was never able to get. Will it end up being because of the improvements Marrone made to the program? In part, yes, but I believe it to be in large part due to Shafer's attitude out of the gates, as well as the nature of his recent hires, as well as recruit-offers. Now go waste some more of your time and look for some last minute, non-consensus 4 star recruits as you fail to see the big picture of the OP. I am convinced that every single time someone posts something remotely negative about a coach, or the program, there will emerge some homers like you who just can't have that. You gotta grow up kid.

CuseACC, just giving you a heads up. Ebo wasn't a consensus 4 star recruit. You lose your own thread.

Dude, are you really this freaking stupid or what?! Holy crap, talk about a lack of reading comprehension you sure take the cake. Let me spell it out for you kid because apparently you are too stupid to pick up on it through your orange colored glasses.

The entire premise of my post is my belief that Shafer turns the corner and is able to get the elusive, elite recruits Marrone was never able to get. Will it end up being because of the improvements Marrone made to the program? In part, yes, but I believe it to be in large part due to Shafer's attitude out of the gates, as well as the nature of his recent hires, as well as recruit-offers. Now go waste some more of your time and look for some last minute, non-consensus 4 star recruits as you fail to see the big picture of the OP. I am convinced that every single time someone posts something remotely negative about a coach, or the program, there will emerge some homers like you who just can't have that. You gotta grow up kid.

Let me tell you something, "kid" -- your congenital inability to get any facts correct demonstrates that you are the one who is "freaking stupid."

It is really sad that you continue to fail to understand the basics of this topic that has you so worked up. But hey--go ahead and continue to spout your misinformed, subjective, unsubstantiated opinion as fact while calling out posters who have repeatedly demonstrated in both this thread and elsewhere that they know exponentially more about recruiting than you apparently do for having orange colored glasses.

Dullard.

CuseACC, just giving you a heads up. Ebo wasn't a consensus 4 star recruit. You lose your own thread.
Oh he wasn't? I guess maybe those offers from Alabama, Florida, Mississippi, Tennessee, Ohio State, and Notre Dame (among many others) relegate him to 2 star status. Cuse fans weren't watching the Under Armour game when he announced. They were more interested in what Austin Wilson was going to do instead. You win. I didn't know I was signed up for your competition. I swear it's like freaking romper room in here with some of you baby homers.

Oh he wasn't? I guess maybe those offers from Alabama, Florida, Mississippi, Tennessee, Ohio State, and Notre Dame (among many others) relegate him to 2 star status. Cuse fans weren't watching the Under Armour game when he announced. They were more interested in what Austin Wilson was going to do instead. You win. I didn't know I was signed up for your competition. I swear it's like freaking romper room in here with some of you baby homers.

No. It makes him a 3-star. But again, don't let the facts get in the way of your emotional temper tantrum tirade.

Let me tell you something, "kid" -- your congenital inability to get any facts correct demonstrates that you are the one who is "freaking stupid."

It is really sad that you continue to fail to understand the basics of this topic that has you so worked up. But hey--go ahead and continue to spout your misinformed, subjective, unsubstantiated opinion as fact while calling out posters who have continually demonstrated that they know exponentially more about recruiting than you apparently do for having orange colored glasses.

Dullard.
Omg you got me there kid. The lack of understanding of this entire topic stems from your inability to comprehend the OP because you are such a baby, and a homer. Trees through the forest my friend. Wipe off your SU bib kiddo.

Omg you got me there kid. The lack of understanding of this entire topic stems from your inability to comprehend the OP because you are such a baby, and a homer. Trees through the forest my friend. Wipe off your SU bib kiddo.

I get it--you're too embarrassed to admit you are wrong because you have been so thoroughly intellectually trounced in this thread.

When you're done crying about it, come back and try posting again.

No. It makes him a 3-star. But again, don't let the facts get in the way of your emotional temper tantrum tirade.
Dig, dig, and then dig some more. Find any loophole you can, all the while ignoring the big picture. Take an English class again, or grow up, one or the other.

Dig, dig, and then dig some more. Find any loophole you can, all the while ignoring the big picture. Take an English class again, or grow up, one or the other.

Loophole? Holy christ, what an imbecile.

Feel free to look EO up on scout, einstein. How many stars does he have?

Oh, 3? Yeah--that's sure some tricky loophole I'm exploiting to once again point out that you are wrong. What's this big picture I am missing--that you don't know how to count?

Why don't you take a math class so you learn how to count the number of stars next to a player's name, dimwit.

I get it--you're too embarrassed to admit you are wrong because you have been so thoroughly intellectually trounced in this thread.

When you're done crying about it, come back and try posting again.
Hahahaha! Yea you sure got me kid! You came out on top! Send ya an award by Mail in "10 days". This is just too damn funny. What a tool.

Hahahaha! Yea you sure got me kid! You came out on top! Send ya an award by Mail in "10 days". This is just too damn funny. What a tool.

Cut the name calling people. We don't expect people to always agree, or even like each other, but you have to treat each other with respect.

Thanks.

This thread is a disgrace... so many re-used insults Oh Lord. How many times are we going to reference SU bibs?

This is the first thing you posted in this entire thread "In four years, Marrone was unable to snag a single 4+ star recruit."

In any given year, each of the 3 main recruiting sites (Rivals, Scout, ESPN) hand out 4 or 5 star rankings to around 250 kids. Clearly there are differences site to site, so on average, probably 150 of those kids are consensus 4-5 star recruits across the 3 sites. Of that, maybe 75% have multiple top 10 type program offers.

Your definition of a 4 star recruit (which you should have put in your first post and it would have saved you a lot of time and grief) is a consensus 4 star or 5 star that has multiple top 10 like program offers. In any give year on average there are anywhere from 125-150 kids that fit that profile. So if you're saying Marrone wasn't successful in recruiting those specific type of players, then yes, that's accurate. Will Shafer do better at that? Maybe, maybe not. It does help that he has a crack Florida recruiter in George McDonald because, in general, Florida has a higher # of those type of recruits.

The reason why you're getting so much flak from people here is simply because you did a crappy job of defining what you meant in your very first sentence.

People aren't debating you because of Marrone's recruiting track record, it is what it is and it's documented. They're debating you because at face value you started this thread with an inaccurate post.

Believe it or not Ebenezer was 3 stars on scout and 3 stars on 247. He was not a "Consensus" 4 star recruit regardless of his offers. Very easy to look up, it's not rocket-ship science.

Me personally, I think the star rating system is completely useless. I would much rather have a Doug Marrone and staff judging and looking for talent than some 20 & 30 something guys from a pay site with no pro or college coaching experience whatsoever.

Believe it or not Ebenezer was 3 stars on scout and 3 stars on 247. He was not a "Consensus" 4 star recruit regardless of his offers. Very easy to look up, it's not rocket-ship science.

Me personally, I think the star rating system is completely useless. I would much rather have a Doug Marrone and staff judging and looking for talent than some 20 & 30 something guys from a pay site with no pro or college coaching experience whatsoever.
not to mention just cracked rivals 300 after their last update . Personally I loved the way the old regime graded prospects out, but you still need to recruiters who can actually go out and get the top guys . I think the new staff has more of that type of recruiter, but the process they use will have to be wait to be seen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom