Shirt World On Marshall St... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Shirt World On Marshall St...

...Is a joke. The guy that owns the store, Dave Jacobs, former SU kicker, is such a crook. Their shady business practices were in full swing with me recently.

I've been trying to get my paws on one of those sweet throwback jerseys and knew Shirt World had them in stock. I called them early last week and found out that they were out of XXLs. Dave tried to sell me an XL over the phone, (no Dave, I'm 6'4 and 260, an XL won't fit me) but I said no dice. He then called me back at 9:45pm two days later to say he could get a XXL for me from a vendor friend of his and it would get to the store, whereupon he would ship it to me. He told me he should have it by last Friday (2/14) or Saturday at the latest.

Fast forward to this morning, where I get a phone call from Mr. Shirt World himself. The jersey is in, cost to me? $145. I said, say what now? The jersey sticker price is $120. Dave said "well sales tax over $100 in NY state is 8% (actually it's 4%) and the rest would cover shipping to me. Shipping costs $15? No way.

Basically he wanted to recoup the cost of having his vendor friend ship it out to him. He passed the shipping charge for that on to me. So basically I would have been paying TWICE for shipping.

I called him back and said hell no. And honestly, despite the fact that they have the BEST selection of NIKE Elite SU Basketball apparel, which I like the best, I won't be shopping there anymore. Their bait and switch and shenanigans with the cash register and prices are too much. Manny's all the way!!

Anyone else with any Shirt World horror stories?

I worked at Shirt World for a couple years in high school many years ago. It was my first real(ish) job and in many ways a very good learning experience. At the time, Dave had an excellent manager who he fired twice a year, a bunch of family members, a rotating cast of shell-shocked SU students, and me.

It was my job to stand outside of the store before every football game yelling "$9.99 sweatshirts, $5.99 tee-shirts, free hat with every sweatshirt purchase." The college students mostly refused to do this. They were smarter than me. The SU students also almost universally quit within a couple weeks of starting after being screamed at or given impossible to implement instructions. Usually this meant that I would get called in to cover a missing shift. Not knowing any better, I kept coming in. I eventually quit with A LOT of swear words the first and only day I called in sick - for years I had covered shifts at the last minute; I called in one Saturday and got reamed out and then called roughly fifteen times to show up to work. I refused and then never went back.

I've been working at big law firms, notoriously awful work environments, for six-plus years. Shirt World makes these look like a friggin picnic.

Why do you consider this a horror story? He went out of his way to find you the product you wanted. If it cost him extra money to get it delivered, he should not have to pay it himself. On the other hand, he should have told you that there would be an additional delivery charge before he ordered it. You likely should have asked him too. He could have told you tough luck, we are out of them.

Why do you consider this a horror story? He went out of his way to find you the product you wanted. If it cost him extra money to get it delivered, he should not have to pay it himself. On the other hand, he should have told you that there would be an additional delivery charge before he ordered it. You likely should have asked him too. He could have told you tough luck, we are out of them.

Winner, winner, chicken dinner!

I worked at Shirt World for a couple years in high school many years ago. It was my first real(ish) job and in many ways a very good learning experience. At the time, Dave had an excellent manager who he fired twice a year, a bunch of family members, a rotating cast of shell-shocked SU students, and me.

It was my job to stand outside of the store before every football game yelling "$9.99 sweatshirts, $5.99 tee-shirts, free hat with every sweatshirt purchase." The college students mostly refused to do this. They were smarter than me. The SU students also almost universally quit within a couple weeks of starting after being screamed at or given impossible to implement instructions. Usually this meant that I would get called in to cover a missing shift. Not knowing any better, I kept coming in. I eventually quit with A LOT of swear words the first and only day I called in sick - for years I had covered shifts at the last minute; I called in one Saturday and got reamed out and then called roughly fifteen times to show up to work. I refused and then never went back.

I've been working at big law firms, notoriously awful work environments, for six-plus years. Shirt World makes these look like a friggin picnic.

One of my good friends in high school had a very similar experience as a Shirt World employee.

Love the description of his staff - spot-on.

Is this the store where you walk in and they immediately start trying to telling you about their sales and every corner you turn there is another worker trying to tell you about their sales. I will never go in there again. It is almost like they were following you around the whole time. I will go to Manny's or order online.

Yes. They are pretty aggressive on the sidewalks too, telling you about their deals to try to get you to come in. I like to express mock, over the top enthusiasm towards their "deals" but then continue walking right on by the store.

One of my good friends in high school had a very similar experience as a Shirt World employee.

Love the description of his staff - spot-on.

Now that I'm reminiscing, some other stories. I'm positive I have some even better ones, but it has been a long time.
  • When I first started working, Dave used to send me to Mannys to spy on the prices there. I'd have to come back and report on what they were charging for, say, a specific Champion sweatshirt. After I'd been there for a while, the Mannys people knew who I was, so it was no longer possible to do this covertly. So sometimes when friends of mine or my girlfriend would be there, he'd try to get them to spy for him.
  • When I was inside the store, rather than hawking things, I was one of the annoying people who interrupted everyone's shopping. I hated this when I first started, but got pretty comfortable with it after a while. The store had a set answer when people couldn't find the right size. If they wanted a medium, but all we had was a large, we'd say it was 100% cotton and would shrink. If they wanted an XL, but all we had was a large, we'd say it was preshrunk and wouldn't shrink and ran big. I said both of these things, often within the span of 5 minutes. I suspect I said these things to at least someone on this board. I don't feel great about that.
  • At some point, Dave decided he had the copyright on "Real Men Wear Orange" and all of its derivations. Mannys was nonetheless selling these shirts. There was lots of screaming.
  • 80 percent of my interactions with Dave went like this: he would say something with a lot of passion ("okay, let's get this shirt up and we'll focus on selling that") then he would disappear for a while. Eventually, he would come back, see that you had done what he asked, and then get very angry. He might storm off. Then he would come back, put his arms around you and talk very gently about how you were just very, very wrong. Then, if you were lucky, he would leave and everyone else would go about trying to run the store correctly.
  • On the awesome side, I did get to meet all sorts of Syracuse legends. Donovan McNabb came in several times with his family when I worked there and was awesome to everyone. Dave was on his best behavior these times (and he could be pretty charming). Joe Morris was in for a while one day.

GoSU96 said:
Why would you assume shipping would be at no cost to you? Looked at the bookstore site, it's $7 for ground, $20 for second day delivery. I know the stories but in this case your outrage is misplaced.

I think his point is a good business owner would have said "sure i can get you that but it will cost me $7 in shipping which i unfortunately have to pass on to you. Is that ok?"

Pretty easy conversation.

• At some point, Dave decided he had the copyright on "Real Men Wear Orange" and all of its derivations. Mannys was nonetheless selling these shirts. There was lots of screaming.

I would hope he would have given some of the profits to Al Davis.

upload_2014-2-18_16-35-22.jpeg

I have only one Dave Jacobs story.

He's a prominent former SU football player (All-American kicker) who makes a ton of money by selling SU merchandize to SU fans.

No matter how many times he's been asked, he's never given a dime to support SU football or SU athletics in general. (Meanwhile, the owners of Manny's have been generous SU supporters).

That is why I don't shop there.

http://www.jewsinsports.org/profile.asp?sport=football&ID=348

Last edited:
I think his point is a good business owner would have said "sure i can get you that but it will cost me $7 in shipping which i unfortunately have to pass on to you. Is that ok?"

Pretty easy conversation.

I get that completely, but at the same time there isn't anything shocking about having to pay shipping costs. How reasonable is it to EXPECT to have the merchant eat the shipping cost.

Took my Wife to Outback for Valentines. They way over cooked her steak she ordered medium rare and it was completly burnt. They took it back and said her meal would be Free. When I got the Bill they charged us twice for her meal and took one of them off to make it look like they gave her a free meal. The Marine came out of me really quickly!! We didn't pay for the meal after that. Just another place I'm not alowed to ever go into again in my town that sells Booz!
OH NO YOU DI'N'T!

i was about to give you for taking her to outback then I realized that we got a pizza on thursday

GoSU96 said:
I get that completely, but at the same time there isn't anything shocking about having to pay shipping costs. How reasonable is it to EXPECT to have the merchant eat the shipping cost.

I think i can speak for Hak when i say that if he told him up front he would have gladly paid the $7 or politely said no thanks

I've actually never had the slightest issue there. That said every time I've been in there I was with my father who played with him at SU and usually has a few stories about my father. So he at least doesn't screw over his former teammates, just everyone else apparently. I never realized people had an issue with the place until this thread because I've always had a solid experience in there other than the whole weird sale rack thing.

This is great. In one of my marketing classes last year, groups had to give a presentation on how we would improve a store, and my group chose to do our project on Shirt World. We focused most of the presentation on the actual layout of the store (the fact that there are so many racks and they're so close together that it's actually difficult to navigate your way through and stuff like that) because that's what our professor wanted, but at the end of the presentation, we brought up their shady reputation and we proposed a couple ideas of how to improve things such as not stealing from customers. Suddenly 30+ people in our class began raising their hands to tell stories about how they had gotten cheated out of money by Dave and my professor just had a look of complete disbelief on her face.

We ended up receiving a great grade since we were able to get our classmates so involved in the presentation lol, but the best part is that at the end of the class, it was brought to my attention that Dave's daughter was apparently in my class and apparently she had turned about 50 shades of bright red when students started telling their stories.

I think i can speak for Hak when i say that if he told him up front he would have gladly paid the $7 or politely said no thanks

Yup. You said it. You know the lengths that I've gone to try to get this jersey, but what really kills me is the complete and utter UPCHARGE that I wasn't told about before he said on the phone, "yup, got it today. $145."

To put things in perspective, I just ordered it from the bookstore, with NO sales tax, and paid a flat $6 for shipping for a total of $126.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom