Shirt World On Marshall St... | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Shirt World On Marshall St...

Wait...NYS has no sales tax?
And holy s.,. Basketball jerseys are 125 bucks?

As of 2/1 exemption in NYS sales tax on clothing items costing $110 or less. Counties had the option of adopting the exemption. Onondaga county didn't.

As of 2/1 exemption in NYS sales tax on clothing items costing $110 or less. Counties had the option of adopting the exemption. Onondaga county didn't.
Wow...ny is nuts...

I like to accentuate the positive . . .

Last summer, I went up to New York for my idiot nephew's high school graduation. We had a narrow window for a Manny's run and we got there right as the one girl working there (probably a student) was closing. She let us in to shop for fifteen minutes and we got about $700 in stuff (those patchwork SU quilts in the back apparently are $120, we now own four).

When I got back to Virginia, I sent an email to Manny's customer service address to tell them they should give praise to the girl who stayed open for us because (1) Manny's sold a lot of stuff, and (2) it didn't leave us empty-handed when she could have. I got a very nice note back from Manny's thanking me for the positive feedback.

I like to accentuate the positive . . .

Last summer, I went up to New York for my idiot nephew's high school graduation. We had a narrow window for a Manny's run and we got there right as the one girl working there (probably a student) was closing. She let us in to shop for fifteen minutes and we got about $700 in stuff (those patchwork SU quilts in the back apparently are $120, we now own four).

When I got back to Virginia, I sent an email to Manny's customer service address to tell them they should give praise to the girl who stayed open for us because (1) Manny's sold a lot of stuff, and (2) it didn't leave us empty-handed when she could have. I got a very nice note back from Manny's thanking me for the positive feedback.
Lol idiot nephew. Man you're a kind uncle. Blood relation?

Discouraging to read this and the older thread a couple years ago. I met Dave at the State Fair about 10 years ago and have been a pretty steady customer at Shirt World ever since. He's always made time to break away and say hello to me when I come in the store and has been nothing but cordial. Hate to say it but I guess I'll start checking my receipts a little more closely.

I'm sure I posted it in the epic thread we had a few years ago, but that place was one of the few on campus that did custom Greek merchandise and I recall there ALWAYS being problems with orders, unexpected charges, etc.

This. Shirt World way overcharged for their greek stuff, and then were frequently late getting it made. I ended up getting my stuff from McKies'by the fairgrounds.

Now that I'm reminiscing, some other stories. I'm positive I have some even better ones, but it has been a long time.
  • When I first started working, Dave used to send me to Mannys to spy on the prices there. I'd have to come back and report on what they were charging for, say, a specific Champion sweatshirt. After I'd been there for a while, the Mannys people knew who I was, so it was no longer possible to do this covertly. So sometimes when friends of mine or my girlfriend would be there, he'd try to get them to spy for him.
  • When I was inside the store, rather than hawking things, I was one of the annoying people who interrupted everyone's shopping. I hated this when I first started, but got pretty comfortable with it after a while. The store had a set answer when people couldn't find the right size. If they wanted a medium, but all we had was a large, we'd say it was 100% cotton and would shrink. If they wanted an XL, but all we had was a large, we'd say it was preshrunk and wouldn't shrink and ran big. I said both of these things, often within the span of 5 minutes. I suspect I said these things to at least someone on this board. I don't feel great about that.
  • At some point, Dave decided he had the copyright on "Real Men Wear Orange" and all of its derivations. Mannys was nonetheless selling these shirts. There was lots of screaming.
  • 80 percent of my interactions with Dave went like this: he would say something with a lot of passion ("okay, let's get this shirt up and we'll focus on selling that") then he would disappear for a while. Eventually, he would come back, see that you had done what he asked, and then get very angry. He might storm off. Then he would come back, put his arms around you and talk very gently about how you were just very, very wrong. Then, if you were lucky, he would leave and everyone else would go about trying to run the store correctly.
  • On the awesome side, I did get to meet all sorts of Syracuse legends. Donovan McNabb came in several times with his family when I worked there and was awesome to everyone. Dave was on his best behavior these times (and he could be pretty charming). Joe Morris was in for a while one day.

Worked there if I had to guess not too long before you. This whole post is spot on. I won't go in there because I know how they work. DO NOT EVER get something custom printed there. Be ware most items don't have prices on them and there is a reason.

This. Shirt World way overcharged for their greek stuff, and then were frequently late getting it made. I ended up getting my stuff from McKies'by the fairgrounds.

He over charges every fraternity and sorority student and it's never the same price!

Online, out of state order.

Used to be great for consumers buying from Amazon as well. They now charge sales tax for my state.

If they have Nexus they have to charge you sales tax unless they have an exemption from the state.

Discouraging to read this and the older thread a couple years ago. I met Dave at the State Fair about 10 years ago and have been a pretty steady customer at Shirt World ever since. He's always made time to break away and say hello to me when I come in the store and has been nothing but cordial. Hate to say it but I guess I'll start checking my receipts a little more closely.
You got a receipt? Last time I shopped there (a long time ago) I couldn't figure out how they arrived at that figure, when I asked for an itemized receipt, they refused. I should have returned everything on the spot and have no idea why I didn't. Haven't been back since.

Have you considered writing a strongly worded letter to the proprietor?

...Is a joke. The guy that owns the store, Dave Jacobs, former SU kicker, is such a crook. Their shady business practices were in full swing with me recently.

I've been trying to get my paws on one of those sweet throwback jerseys and knew Shirt World had them in stock. I called them early last week and found out that they were out of XXLs. Dave tried to sell me an XL over the phone, (no Dave, I'm 6'4 and 260, an XL won't fit me) but I said no dice. He then called me back at 9:45pm two days later to say he could get a XXL for me from a vendor friend of his and it would get to the store, whereupon he would ship it to me. He told me he should have it by last Friday (2/14) or Saturday at the latest.

Fast forward to this morning, where I get a phone call from Mr. Shirt World himself. The jersey is in, cost to me? $145. I said, say what now? The jersey sticker price is $120. Dave said "well sales tax over $100 in NY state is 8% (actually it's 4%) and the rest would cover shipping to me. Shipping costs $15? No way.

Basically he wanted to recoup the cost of having his vendor friend ship it out to him. He passed the shipping charge for that on to me. So basically I would have been paying TWICE for shipping.

I called him back and said hell no. And honestly, despite the fact that they have the BEST selection of NIKE Elite SU Basketball apparel, which I like the best, I won't be shopping there anymore. Their bait and switch and shenanigans with the cash register and prices are too much. Manny's all the way!!

Anyone else with any Shirt World horror stories?

I have a story with him, too. I went in there just to browse. Saw two cool t-shirts and a pair of gym shorts for my daughter. The gym shorts were just basic blue with "Syracuse" stencil down one leg. Jacobs says "get 1 free shirt for every item you buy". So we check out and the bill is $145 - for 2 t-shirts and a pair of gym shorts. He rings it up really fast on a calculator, and is slapping you on the back and trying to chat you up the whole time so you don't pay attention. So I ask, "how much is this?" Well, the t-shirts are $35 each, the gym shorts $50 (not official gear, mind you), and he charges me $5 each for the 3 "free" t-shirts. What a scumbag.

Why would you assume shipping would be at no cost to you?

Looked at the bookstore site, it's $7 for ground, $20 for second day delivery.

I know the stories but in this case your outrage is misplaced.

He paid for shipping from Jacobs. He objected to paying additional shipping for Jacobs to obtain the shirt. If he had to pay for shipping from the original source, why not just ship it direct to the customer and the customer only pays for shipping once.

You got a receipt? Last time I shopped there (a long time ago) I couldn't figure out how they arrived at that figure, when I asked for an itemized receipt, they refused. I should have returned everything on the spot and have no idea why I didn't. Haven't been back since.

Yes, their receipts are not itemized. He rings it up on a calculator and then runs your credit card.

Yes, their receipts are not itemized. He rings it up on a calculator and then runs your credit card.

Shocked the IRS or NYS hasn't stepped in on a audit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom