Shirt World On Marshall St... | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Shirt World On Marshall St...

This by far was the greatest thread in board history. I would kill for this to be somehow unarchived.
im going to throw a handle out here...heimforprez?

I worked at Shirt World for a couple years in high school many years ago. It was my first real(ish) job and in many ways a very good learning experience. At the time, Dave had an excellent manager who he fired twice a year, a bunch of family members, a rotating cast of shell-shocked SU students, and me.

It was my job to stand outside of the store before every football game yelling "$9.99 sweatshirts, $5.99 tee-shirts, free hat with every sweatshirt purchase." The college students mostly refused to do this. They were smarter than me. The SU students also almost universally quit within a couple weeks of starting after being screamed at or given impossible to implement instructions. Usually this meant that I would get called in to cover a missing shift. Not knowing any better, I kept coming in. I eventually quit with A LOT of swear words the first and only day I called in sick - for years I had covered shifts at the last minute; I called in one Saturday and got reamed out and then called roughly fifteen times to show up to work. I refused and then never went back.

I've been working at big law firms, notoriously awful work environments, for six-plus years. Shirt World makes these look like a friggin picnic.

Idiot Kicker...

I was hoping this thread would never see the light again

Jacobs is a POS.

Dave's sketchy lawyer, after Dave flipped out and emptied the bank account with the knowledge that the employees would go unpaid: "What is this, a witch-hunt?"

Dave's business partner, a decent human being who didn't do anything wrong but decided to pay employees with his personal funds: "The employees shouldn’t have to suffer because of our partnership."

Dave Jacobs is really a reprehensible guy. This jibes with all the anecdotes I've heard, but it's interesting to see it in writing (in a well-sourced and carefully-written piece for the DO) like this.

Dave's sketchy lawyer, after Dave flipped out and emptied the bank account with the knowledge that the employees would go unpaid: "What is this, a witch-hunt?"

Dave's business partner, a decent human being who didn't do anything wrong but decided to pay employees with his personal funds: "The employees shouldn’t have to suffer because of our partnership."

Dave Jacobs is really a reprehensible guy. This jibes with all the anecdotes I've heard, but it's interesting to see it in writing (in a well-sourced and carefully-written piece for the DO) like this.

Makes you wish Mannys would buy him out and open up a second store for Greeks and other custom apparel.

Assuming there is truth told by the two business partners, good on them for making sure the employees were paid out after this scumbag stole the money from the company account.

In my eyes this thread is part of the “syracusefan holy trinity.” The Holy Trinity always comes back and rarely disappoints. Shirt World, Rutgers and Shawn Michaels always return without ever being bumped.

And Dave Jacobs is a huge scumbag. I thoroughly enjoy telling him and his minions that I am going to Mannys or the SU bookstore to buy my SU gear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom