Shirt World On Marshall St... | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Shirt World On Marshall St...

My stepfather picked out a really nice shirt that was on sale, as the tag indicated. He went to pay and I literally watched Dave peel off the sale tag price to reveal the original price, quite a substatantial price. When my stepfather questioned this , Dave said it was placed in the wrong rack. I was pissed. My stepfather bought it anyway, he really wanted it. That was about 15 years ago. I have never been back
I believe that is flat out illegal. If something is tagged with the wrong price, I believe that falls on the business establishment. Given all of the stories I've just read on here, I'm not surprised though.

Is it wrong for me to have cheered for him making that FG vs Tulane in the freezing rain to win 3-0?

Is it wrong for me to have cheered for him making that FG vs Tulane in the freezing rain to win 3-0?

That was one of my first dates with Mrs. C. to her credit she did stick it out until halftime but still brings that game up whenever someone complaings about the Dome being too hot.

BTW, I mentioned that kick to Dave but asked "Was that you or Gary Anderson?"

I was soaked. Left at the half but not before I got about a half dozen of those little footballs the cheerleaders used to throw to the crowd. There was no crowd.

I was soaked. Left at the half but not before I got about a half dozen of those little footballs the cheerleaders used to throw to the crowd. There was no crowd.
They announced 11,000 and I bet there were 4,000 left at the end. Coldest, wettest game I ever attended.

Jacobs fell on his ass multiple times kicking in the mud. He was 1 for 5 that day.

They announced 11,000 and I bet there were 4,000 left at the end. Coldest, wettest game I ever attended.

Jacobs fell on his ass multiple times kicking in the mud. He was 1 for 5 that day.
Brutal game and brutal weather (especially with the waterfalls that always formed on the concrete steps/seats in Archbold). But I stayed till the end. As many (or at least some) on this board, I have never left a game early.

I believe that is flat out illegal. If something is tagged with the wrong price, I believe that falls on the business establishment. Given all of the stories I've just read on here, I'm not surprised though.
I was in there the day of the Duke game this year as Manny's was too packed and I needed to buy a Cuse hat. I learned to ask the pricing ahead of time and not at the check out as I saw all the same signs that everyone has always talked about. I still asked to try to get a free T-shirt with purchase but to no avail. One nice thing they had going on that day was a separate "cash only" line as the regular line was snaked out the door with everyone buying their special Duke commemorative Tees. I was in and out of there in about 10 minutes. Kudos to Dave for that.

unless New York has specific language, it is not illegal under normal contract law. A price is not an offer, you make the offer when you take the item up to the register. The seller doesn't have to accept the offer even if he's the one who originally listed it. Now, if he advertised it, things may be different, but many times the rule still applies (example, you could list your house at a specific price, but still not accept an offer at that price).

I have only one Dave Jacobs story.

He's a prominent former SU football player (All-American kicker) who makes a ton of money by selling SU merchandize to SU fans.

No matter how many times he's been asked, he's never given a dime to support SU football or SU athletics in general. (Meanwhile, the owners of Manny's have been generous SU supporters).

That is why I don't shop there.

http://www.jewsinsports.org/profile.asp?sport=football&ID=348
As of a few years ao David Jacobs had never set foot in the Carrier Dome.

It was said that he was P'od that SU never asked him to work with the place kicker's.

Doesn't quite rise to the level of Yogi and George.
As I recall Dave told me that story.

I have one more, back in 2003 several runners on the board wanted running shirts with the national championship on them. NYCfan, Dick in Michigan, Jarhead Jim were among them. Jacobs and I worked out a price ad quantity. He was going to print them and contact me when they were done. Many phone calls resulted in nothing.

We had a classic thread on here 2 years ago where everyone was sharing their Dave Jacobs horror stories. I think he actually prides himself on being Mr. Bait and Switch. Its the most shady business in all of CNY, but they have a few great things that Manny doesn't sometimes. Its comical how sketchy the dude is.

Below is the picture that appears on the homepage of the Better Business Bureau.
10442561-large.jpg
I actually started a thread here or maybe it was the old site telling a story where this guy ripped me off and then lied to my face when I called him on it. He rang up my 3 items, came to a price, he swipes my credit card...as I am about to sign the paper he goes, opps there was a mistake. He clears out that charge and then rings up the 3 items again and swipes my credit card again, and has me sign the paper this time. As I am leaving I notice the 2nd receipt I signed was for like $20 more than the original charge. I go back in pointing out the mistake and he starts acting all crazy. I go ok, lets ring these 3 items up one more time and see what it comes too...he refused. Anybody who goes into that store is asking for trouble. The guy is a thief.

Hahahah, I always go to this store when I am at Syracuse... My dad played football at Syracuse and they both know each other real well.. They graduated around the same time... The guy is like 5 feet tall, if that.

I know that Jacobs has his issues but I'm not seeing it here.

The sales tax exemption, which I didn't know started Feb 1, ends at $110, so he was telling you the truth about the sales tax. Do you really think it's unfair for him to want recoup the extra shipping cost for him to special order the shirt for you?

Not to get into it all again, but Jacobs does not put price tags on most of his shirts, so he can charge whatever he thinks you will pay when you get up front to the cash register. Also, you will notice that the cash register doesn't scan the items, he just uses a calculator to figure out the price, and you don't get itemized totals. I, too, was conned by the "buy one, get one free" deal, where he wound up charging us $5 or $10 each for "free" shirts we really didn't want in the first place because they were XL. Oh yeah, and he tried to charge us sometime like $50 for a generic pair of gym shorts - no fancy embroidery or logo, just blue shorts.

One can only hope she was able to tell her father and possibly he may become an honest man. Yes, I am an eternal optimist even when I highly doubt things.

Nope, he's the same. I represented a tenant of his on Marshall Street in a rent dispute. Jacobs and his wife are just awful. They substituted a different lease for the one the guy signed that had all these clauses put back in that they had agreed to change. They also helped him get a sidewalk permit, but then went down to City Hall to bust his balls about using seating out on the sidewalk for their cafe. He's schizophrenic is the problem, and just not a good person.

You got a receipt? Last time I shopped there (a long time ago) I couldn't figure out how they arrived at that figure, when I asked for an itemized receipt, they refused. I should have returned everything on the spot and have no idea why I didn't. Haven't been back since.

That's because he just uses a calculator to "figure out" the price - while he's busy chatting with you and telling you stories so you don't pay too close attention.

unless New York has specific language, it is not illegal under normal contract law. A price is not an offer, you make the offer when you take the item up to the register. The seller doesn't have to accept the offer even if he's the one who originally listed it. Now, if he advertised it, things may be different, but many times the rule still applies (example, you could list your house at a specific price, but still not accept an offer at that price).

Don't know NY real estate law but in California if you list at a certain price and you're offered that price and you agree on all other contingencies, that's the price you're bound by. You can't agree just to have a buyer stashed. You can wait for higher offers but you can't say yes to a deal just to have something to fall back on. In other words there's no bait and switch, a favorite Jacobs tactic.

Don't know NY real estate law but in California if you list at a certain price and you're offered that price and you agree on all other contingencies, that's the price you're bound by. You can't agree just to have a buyer stashed. You can wait for higher offers but you can't say yes to a deal just to have something to fall back on. In other words there's no bait and switch, a favorite Jacobs tactic.

Agreed, if there is acceptance on both parts, generally there is a verbal contract (except in the cases of Real Estate, or a contract over one year).

The guy that wanted to sue because the love potion he bought didn't work.
That was the fortune teller. I'm pretty sure she cast a spell. But maybe our poster bought the love potion at Dollar General on the way back to his home basement apartment.

Not to get into it all again, but Jacobs does not put price tags on most of his shirts, so he can charge whatever he thinks you will pay when you get up front to the cash register. Also, you will notice that the cash register doesn't scan the items, he just uses a calculator to figure out the price, and you don't get itemized totals. I, too, was conned by the "buy one, get one free" deal, where he wound up charging us $5 or $10 each for "free" shirts we really didn't want in the first place because they were XL. Oh yeah, and he tried to charge us sometime like $50 for a generic pair of gym shorts - no fancy embroidery or logo, just blue shorts.

100% True. I worked there for a period of time. The things he pulled with fraternities and sororities and their orders and pricing was crazy! He is no one I would buy anything from.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom