Shocked and disappointed at the lack of support yesterday | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Shocked and disappointed at the lack of support yesterday

just in time for that price increase that is likely coming on season tickets with nd on the schedule

not likely, definitely from everything I’ve heard….

personally they should wait after next year but I get it, Notre Dame on the schedule

Covid doesn't help.

Having a 2-3 record at home (1-3 if you take at Albany) going into the game didn't help. No one wants to go see a loss. Usually you think you could beat anyone at home but this year has been the opposite. Also we aren't putting points on the board at home. Rutgers 7 points, Liberty 24 points, Clemson 14 points, BC 21 points. That isn't attractive to a casual fan.

That there aren't more fans is disappointing. But I'm onto it, and you all are into it, and that's good enough till we are part of the "national conversation."

I think we are fast becoming a religious favorite what with the Messiah at QB and Friar Tuck in support.

Touchdown Jesus got nuthin' on us.

Welcome to the Carrier Basilica and Hallelujah Orange!

Wonder how many unvaccinated fans are navigating the covid testing protocol to attend.
Suspect few.
I'm vaccinated and would have gone and brought family members, but they are casual fans for whom inconvenience of testing not worth it.

I don’t know about blaming it on COVID…..

Buffalo Bills require you to be fully vaccinated and technically supposed to wear a mask in all “indoor areas” of the stadium..

They are having no issue filling the stadium.

Do I think it plays a role in the numbers at the dome? Yes, but not sure it’s as great of an impact as we think it is

Buffalo Bills require you to be fully vaccinated and technically supposed to wear a mask in all “indoor areas” of the stadium..

Do I think it plays a role in the numbers at the dome? Yes, but not sure it’s as great of an impact as we think it is
Agree -covid isn't as big as many points being made in this thread-
Just saying would be interested to know how many fans attending the game provided covid test results vs their vaccination card or Excelsior Pass.

I thought the crowd was pretty good. We aren't 7 and 1. We are 4 and 4 coming off a 2 and 10 season.

Not sure what you were expecting, beyond the diehards there wasn't any real buzz locally for the game and with the covid protocols a chunk of the fanbase simply isn't going to show up this year.
The Covid protocols are keeping fans away? Good lord. People can’t bring themselves to get their butts vaccinated and wear a mask in the concourses. How onerous… smh.

These threads, Jesus. :rolleyes:

Syracuse is small and poor. The team plays for private University that most have no visceral connection to.

If anything, the basketball team is an incredible outlier/success story. It's probably time to stop judging football attendance based on basketball attendance (there is likely a very significant cross over in fan attendance anyway).

10 to 15 %. Total , at least on butts in seats. Paid a little less. I base that on what we have had the past 5 years or so. Not blaming it all on Covid but it absolutely is a factor. Friend is a Bills fan he said once you get in you will find very few masks on, and the Bills are returning Conference Finalist with a lot of hype .

It would also help if we had a nationally recognized player on the team the school could use to help promote games….
Well as mentioned earlier we do have that player. It's up to this team to begin winning consistently and for the university to reach into their pockets and spend to market them. Shrader and Tucker are perfect examples of what we need to promote. ADJW from ESPN fame knows all about it. He knows how to promote. And, like 44 he probably won't.

By the way, raking leaves is one of the worst things you can do for your back.

Well as mentioned earlier we do have that player. It's up to this team to begin winning consistently and for the university to reach into their pockets and spend to market them. Shrader and Tucker are perfect examples of what we need to promote. ADJW from ESPN fame knows all about it. He knows how to promote. And, like 44 he probably won't.

By the way, raking leaves is one of the worst things you can do for your back.

I never understood raking leaves. That’s why they make lawn mowers. Now I have almost no trees and no leaves but my previous house the whole backyard was full. It’s Fall, it’s supposed to look like that. Why would I waste hours raking up a leaf. Makes no sense to me.

I never understood raking leaves. That’s why they make lawn mowers. Now I have almost no trees and no leaves but my previous house the whole backyard was full. It’s Fall, it’s supposed to look like that. Why would I waste hours raking up a leaf. Makes no sense to me.
I never understood picking apples either!

Agree -covid isn't as big as many points being made in this thread-
Just saying would be interested to know how many fans attending the game provided covid test results vs their vaccination card or Excelsior Pass.

The Covid protocols are keeping fans away? Good lord. People can’t bring themselves to get their butts vaccinated and wear a mask in the concourses. How onerous… smh.
we have an indoor venue rules are different than outdoor stadiums. Weare supposed to wear masks at all times indoor or out on su campus, though there are not enforcing at private tailgates

These threads, Jesus. :rolleyes:

Syracuse is small and poor. The team plays for private University that most have no visceral connection to.

If anything, the basketball team is an incredible outlier/success story. It's probably time to stop judging football attendance based on basketball attendance (there is likely a very significant cross over in fan attendance anyway).
If Syracuse was so small and so poor, the locals wouldn't come up with enough from the change jar for tickets for bball either. And, football games draw from a larger geographic area simply because they happen on weekends.

Last edited:
Sorry to be negative on a mostly positive day but where was everybody? There should be buzz in the community with this team and the community failed miserably. I honestly thought after last weeks win that there would be a good response. I couldn’t have been more wrong. As usual, the one’s that came rallied despite a very flat start- by both the team and the fans- to create a decent environment in the second half. Hoping we get with the program for the Pitt game.
The team has been awful for 20 something years. How many times should ppl show up only to see a bad loss. Blind faith will only work so many times. Su has lost the fan base that isn’t a diehard and I think it’s going to take a very long time to get them back.

It’s tough for people to give up there Saturday to have there hearts ripped out we have to become consistently good and build that trust with casual fans again, until then the attendance will stay the way it was. We had a golden opportunity after the 10 win season, we sold more season tickets then ever and man o man that clemson game that year was insane I could feel my brain ringing by how loud it was … cuse is a ticking time bomb people want to go to the games but they won’t till they feel there’s a competent product on the field which after being terrible for the last 20 years will take more then a 2 game win streak
Casual fans don't have their hearts in it to get them ripped out and most of them wouldn't know what competent football is.

The team has been awful for 20 something years. How many times should ppl show up only to see a bad loss. Blind faith will only work so many times. Su has lost the fan base that isn’t a diehard and I think it’s going to take a very long time to get them back.
No it won’t, attendance was improving after the 2018 season including the near sellout vs Clemson. Takes one really good season to get the ball rolling. It’s about the Dome being the place to be as it is for the Duke basketball game.

If Syracuse was so small and so poor, the locals wouldn't come up with enough from the change jar for tickets for bball either. And, football games draw from a larger geographic area simply because they happen on weekends.

I dunno man. Durham-Chapel Hill MSA is about the same size with more money. Duke is a about 5-6k smaller than SU. When we played there two years ago, there was probably less than 10k people there.

Remember also our best attended hoops games are roughly as well attended as the BC game was yesterday (hearing lots of home Saturday games this year though, which is awesome).

Idk a win over a very weak V tech team wasn’t going to move the needle a ton. But routinely winning games like yesterday against a weaker opponent can lead to something. In the past SU drops the ball in these games they didn’t yesterday and got the W.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom