Should Tyus play? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Should Tyus play?

I don't think there's much risk, if any, of worsening a bruised coccyx. It's more a question of can he move well enough to be better than Buddy/Jalen.
It's not so much about worsening a bruised hip/coccyx. The bigger concern is if he is sore and adjusts his forms and mechanics , he may be risking an injury elsewhere.

I would sit him. However, if the doctor's give him the OK and Tyus wants to play, then go for it. I'm good either way.

I don't think there's much risk, if any, of worsening a bruised coccyx. It's more a question of can he move well enough to be better than Buddy/Jalen.
I've had that injury before. It's very annoying and honestly a strange sensation.

Tyus should, and IMO, will play. Several reasons:

Could be a big time game. Showcase on a big stage.

I want the team to play with him in the lineup, that's how it will be in the NCAAT.

Don't give the committee any reason to downgrade SU (ie mystery about TB)

TB shouldn't want anything to do with looking soft, sitting out a big game is a bad look. Goes against his iron man image - great shape and mega minutes. Is he really going to tarnish that by sitting out a Duke game with a bruise?

It's not so much about worsening a bruised hip/coccyx. The bigger concern is if he is sore and adjusts his forms and mechanics , he may be risking an injury elsewhere.
Or, maybe it eliminates the hitch in his jump shot!

Well, JB said he's 2-3 days away from playing. If he isn't close to 100% it might hurt the team more than it helps.

One thing was obvious about last nights game was the increase in ball movement without Tyus in the game. That may have been the offset from him not being there.

Since the portions of our fanbase who believe the program has been fine and the criticism towards the staff are attempting to dunk on fans after the second half everyone is happy about I want Tyus to play just so they don’t have an excuse for whatever happens tonight.
Play Tyus and win this game tonight to shut up Chicken Littles.
No one says the program is fine or perfect.

We are just sick of hearing the incessant teeth gnashing and relentless pontificating by the same group of ppl who think they can recruit better, design a better offense, design a better defense, make better in-game adjustments, put together a better rotation, have better interpersonal relationships with the players, have better press conferences than a HOF coach who has won 1000 games. 1 National Championship, 5 Final Fours, 10 Big East Regular Season Titles, 5 Big East Tournament Titles, and 48 NCAA tournament wins.

If all of that hasn’t made you shut up, how would a win tonight do the trick?

I’m good either way. Would like to see the team with Tyus though after the actual ball movement last night. I’d like him to be apart of the offense when it’s like that which it hopefully will be again. I don’t wanna go into the Tourney thinking that maybe we don’t move it as well with him out there.

I'm leaning towards sitting him in a vacuum. I'm seed speculating here for next week. I'm guessing right now we are a 9 seed, would a win propel us to a 7 seed? If yes, maybe go for it and play him. Don't want the 8-9 game. If a win only takes us to an 8, it doesn't matter. Does a loss take us down to a 10? I would also say no. No doubt I want to beat Duke and we'll all be happy for sure if we win, but I think the thing that is most important (aside from how Tyus feels physically), is how much this game affects our seed next week. Just my two cents.

Last edited:
A couple different handicappers are calling Tyus "probable" now. Interesting.

As long as his type of injury can't become worse as a result of him playing, then I think we should play if he's able to. If his injury could worsen, then no.

Injuries leading to superhuman abilities is not unprecedented, see below

1552574112524.jpeg

Seriously though - he should sit. Everyone is expecting a loss to Duke without him. If Cuse somehow wins without Battle, that is a major boost (7 seed?). If they lose, everyone chalks it up to missing your best player. Even the risk of a further setback is low, I don't think it is worth it. Wonder if this will affect Duke's plan for Zion? I imagine at least a limited run to test the waters before the next round...

He should play, if he's ready to go. Nobody was saying these games were meaningless when we were competing for conference championships. That's become a narrative to shrug off our regular sesson crappiness these last few years. No game is meaningless and it's fun to play against the best if you can.

Last edited:
No one says the program is fine or perfect.

We are just sick of hearing the incessant teeth gnashing and relentless pontificating by the same group of ppl who think they can recruit better, design a better offense, design a better defense, make better in-game adjustments, put together a better rotation, have better interpersonal relationships with the players, have better press conferences than a HOF coach who has won 1000 games. 1 National Championship, 5 Final Fours, 10 Big East Regular Season Titles, 5 Big East Tournament Titles, and 48 NCAA tournament wins.

If all of that hasn’t made you shut up, how would a win tonight do the trick?

agreed with all. However, I think Jimmy has 60 NCAA Tournament wins. 55-26 since 1985 and 60-32 overall

Cuse!

How can anyone say this game is meaningless?!
It's Duke in the ACC tournament.

1-1 this year. Grudge match!

agreed with all. However, I think Jimmy has 60 NCAA Tournament wins. 55-26 since 1985 and 60-32 overall

Cuse!
Hmm - darn internet lying to me!

Thanks!

I say yes. We’ve shown we can play with Duke and win. Zion May or may not play, and Bolden is out. If we win I think we could see a 7 seed on selection Sunday. I hate conceding games just because we are a lock. I say let’s go win it and keep the confidence trending upward.

I would rest him for the NCAAs. It's a long shot against Duke.
Next weekend is all that matters at this point.

So let me ask you this, if Tyus was 100%, does a potential 7 seed vs the 8/9 matchup mean absolutely zero?

This is the only reason (and pride, of course).
So, yes, if we could pull off the win in the rubber match, that would be incredible.
But I think playing the odds, Tyus is still hurting, and the rest is more important.

Tyus should, and IMO, will play. Several reasons:

Could be a big time game. Showcase on a big stage.

I want the team to play with him in the lineup, that's how it will be in the NCAAT.

Don't give the committee any reason to downgrade SU (ie mystery about TB)

TB shouldn't want anything to do with looking soft, sitting out a big game is a bad look. Goes against his iron man image - great shape and mega minutes. Is he really going to tarnish that by sitting out a Duke game with a bruise?

The kid has played more minutes than any player in America over the last 2 years.
Last night was the first game he has EVER missed in his career.
A bruised tailbone will heal; it's not a knee.
Nobody will think he's soft if he sits it out, so that we can do damage next week.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom