Shrader doesn't throw well enough to beat very good teams | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Shrader doesn't throw well enough to beat very good teams

I want to add another why I get Shrader doesn't like to slide. There was a point in the second half when he did and the back judge ran in and gave a horrific spot. I would venture a guess of 2 to 3 or so yards.

And I am talking where he started to slide because of the rule, a horrible spot.

Not fair to say it’s all on the coaches that he hasn’t become flawless. He’s improved. I’m sure he works hard and I’m sure they’ve helped him.

If it was as simple as “work hard on it with the coaches”, then pretty much everybody would become Joe Montana.

There’s a natural talent element to it too.
Yup opponents are getting better too. Gettng BFS, correcting mistakes, improving fundamentals etc...

What? It was right between his eyes and in stride. A bad pitch is at his feet or 3 feet above his head. No reason for him to drop that ball. Its a routine QB/RB exchange
I also think he Allen was too far upfield which made the ball harder to catch.

I want to add another why I get Shrader doesn't like to slide. There was a point in the second half when he did and the back judge ran in and gave a horrific spot. I would venture a guess of 2 to 3 or so yards.

And I am talking where he started to slide because of the rule, a horrible spot.
That is the rule, where you start. I think a dive forward might be safer. You see defenders come over the top all the time on slides. Plus a dive ends where you land.

What? It was right between his eyes and in stride. A bad pitch is at his feet or 3 feet above his head. No reason for him to drop that ball. Its a routine QB/RB exchange
I'm really surprised you don't think it's a bad pitch. It definitely looked wrong to me. They weren't quite right in the right position, it looked mistimed, it kinda floated... I don't know, they play just looked off in a lot of ways.

I also think he Allen was too far upfield which made the ball harder to catch.
From what I saw It was slightly behind but in his hands and in stride. My guess La Quint took his eyes off the ball because he saw the apex defender approach him. Sometimes the announcers words influence what people see. They watch the game just like us.
I'm really surprised you don't think it's a bad pitch. It definitely looked wrong to me. They weren't quite right in the right position, it looked mistimed, it kinda floated... I don't know, they play just looked off in a lot of ways.
He didnt have to slow down, stop, jump or scoop the ball off the ground. It was in his hands and in stride.

Great thread.
The divergent opinions are quite amazing.
Hope we survive the next 2 with enough in the tank to carve out an 8-9 win season.
Some get emotional after losses. They forget that weve had all these same concerns prior to the season starting. The team is showing what we already knew. Lets just get out this gauntlet healthy and hope to see growth.

I'm not frustrated at all. I said I would quickly forget about this game and have him credit for the good things he can do against teams where his skills will matter more

Two of the turnovers him spinning into a vicious tackle and a horrible throw where I can't understand how he didn't see the Clemson player he threw it to, guy was standing there the whole time. The bad pitch was mostly his fault

That was the second time he made that throw, the first time was almost picked off and can’t believe it wasn’t.

This thread is a waste of time and space. He’s one of the three best QBs we’ve had in the last 25 years. We’re lucky to have him.
I am glad we have him. I am hopeful that they get nine wins and will quickly forget that he can't beat the likes of Clemson with his arm.

Last edited:
This thread is a waste of time and space. He’s one of the three best QBs we’ve had in the last 25 years. We’re lucky to have him.

That tells us as much about our recruiting as anything else. Half the ACC teams seem to march new guys out all the time, even freshman and sophomore. Not that long ago we had teams beating us handily with their 2nd string QB’s. I like GS a lot but he should just be a pretty good QB over the last 25 years, not the 2nd coming of McNabb and ED. This just tells how terrible we’ve been in 25 yrs.

That tells us as much about our recruiting as anything else. Half the ACC teams seem to march new guys out all the time, even freshman and sophomore. Not that long ago we had teams beating us handily with their 2nd string QB’s. I like GS a lot but he should just be a pretty good QB over the last 25 years, not the 2nd coming of McNabb and ED. This just tells how terrible we’ve been in 25 yrs.
Right. Wake Forest had Hartman. Pitt had Pickett. Louisville - Lamar Jackson. Our peer schools have had studs.

Yeah, that "sliding thing" is an art and difficult to do when you're 6'4" and 225 lbs.
But we're seeing the same things from Shrader that we have seen the previous 2 seasons...
stares down receivers
throws the ball 2 yards out of bounds
misses open receivers while throwing into coverage.
You would think Anae and Beck would have schooled him in these areas and
we'd see some improvement...but hasn't happened.

But OUR line play (OL and DL) vs Clemson's were miles from each other...depressing.
That's the only bad injury McNabb had as a pro, and it happened when he slid to not take a hit.

GS had a bad game. Part due to pass protection ills but when he did have time he was just off. Three long passes he through out of bounds in particular , not giving his recievers a chance . Bad day , posts here as always are reactionary and way off. Bad day, no more no less. Clemson was a big part of it . Not all of it.

They won because of a scoop and score and missed FG. They scored 17pts on offense in regulation.
Of course you need to be good in many different ways to beat very good teams. But shrader can't do that. FSU has a really good QB, it's ok.

FSU loses if the QB plays like shrader.

Of course you need to be good in many different ways to beat very good teams. But shrader can't do that. FSU has a really good QB, it's ok.

FSU loses if the QB plays like shrader.
So just say Shrader can’t do it then. Don’t compare Cuse to top 5 teams. Obviously those type of teams can beat good teams despite the mistakes. Cuse can not.

Reactions: CIL
This thread is wild.

Our WRs are not good enough right now. End of story.

Our pass blocking was atrocious. Our OL isn’t good enough.

And people here think Shrader is the issue? Ya - he’s not Caleb Williams, but we’ve known that.

Literally, to compete at a high level in the ACC, none of the WRs we have would be playing outside of spot duty.

Our OL isn’t good enough either.

Our TEs are a transfer QB turned TE and Mang. And while Villari had two catches that were good, if we want to be real, we would have at least two TEs that are better than both those guys.

This thread is wild.

Our WRs are not good enough right now. End of story.

Our pass blocking was atrocious. Our OL isn’t good enough.

And people here think Shrader is the issue? Ya - he’s not Caleb Williams, but we’ve known that.

Literally, to compete at a high level in the ACC, none of the WRs we have would be playing outside of spot duty.

Our OL isn’t good enough either.

Our TEs are a transfer QB turned TE and Mang. And while Villari had two catches that were good, if we want to be real, we would have at least two TEs that are better than both those guys.
I had a long talk with Jay Gruden when he was coach of Washington. He said TE ( and fullback ) are the hardest guys to find. Big guys that can block a nasty DL and have soft hands to make tough catches. Not easy.

I had a long talk with Jay Gruden when he was coach of Washington. He said TE ( and fullback ) are the hardest guys to find. Big guys that can block a nasty DL and have soft hands to make tough catches. Not easy.
strongly agree - which is why teams like us don't bother with them

but syracuse fans are 56 year old giants fans who don't watch any other college games on average

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom